Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Vaccine side effects poll

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool

If you have had a covid vaccine did you experience side effects

I had the Pfizer vaccine and had no side effects
14%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had very mild side effects
10%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had some side effects
1%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had bad side effects
No votes
I had the AZ vaccine and had no side effects
32%
I had the AZ vaccine and had very mild side effects
27%
I had the AZ vaccine and had some side effects
13%
I had the AZ vaccine and had bad side effects
3%

Total votes: 143

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Vaccine side effects poll

Postby redsturgeon » March 11th, 2021, 12:19 pm

Julian wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:FWIW I heard an 'expert' say on R4 last night that in general the Pfizer vaccine produces little or no side effects after the first dose

Maybe it's because.....

Just read a short piece from a hospital consultant - 'As I reported on here at the time, he said he was seeing large numbers of vaccinations being done using ineffective (in his opinion) batches of Pfizer vaccine. Batches made ineffective by the handling instructions being breached, but the vaccine being administered regardless.

His view was that the Pfizer vaccine is so unstable and it's handling so critical that it will eventually cease to be used. Batches in his hospital are getting regularly and inadvertently spoiled by minor breaches of the handling instructions which unskilled staff think inconsequential, and he thinks this will become clearer as the stats on each type of vaccine accumulate.

Hat tip to Mike4

I just posted a link to the Pfizer handling instructions on another thread. It's double jeopardy, not just the cold chain but it needs to be diluted and then mixed very, very carefully without actually shaking it so that's another thing to potentially go wrong. Details here - https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/i ... ummary.pdf

- Julian

Mrs RS is clinical lead for a local vaccination site. She has already mentioned to me how much easier it is to handle the pre injection procedures for the OxAZ vs the Pfizer vaccine. If anyone has any specific questions then I'd be happy to ask her directly from her own experience.

John

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » March 11th, 2021, 12:30 pm

Snorvey wrote:
Julian wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
Maybe it's because.....

Just read a short piece from a hospital consultant - 'As I reported on here at the time, he said he was seeing large numbers of vaccinations being done using ineffective (in his opinion) batches of Pfizer vaccine. Batches made ineffective by the handling instructions being breached, but the vaccine being administered regardless.

His view was that the Pfizer vaccine is so unstable and it's handling so critical that it will eventually cease to be used. Batches in his hospital are getting regularly and inadvertently spoiled by minor breaches of the handling instructions which unskilled staff think inconsequential, and he thinks this will become clearer as the stats on each type of vaccine accumulate.

Hat tip to Mike4

I just posted a link to the Pfizer handling instructions on another thread. It's double jeopardy, not just the cold chain but it needs to be diluted and then mixed very, very carefully without actually shaking it so that's another thing to potentially go wrong. Details here - https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/i ... ummary.pdf

- Julian

Is there a similar set of instructions for the Astra-Oxford vaccine?

I just googled for the Pfizer one as part of composing my post. I just did the same for the AZ one and this (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 1_v3.4.pdf) seems to be government chapter and verse covering all 3 UK approved vaccines (Pfizer, AZ & Moderna). I haven't read past the contents section but it looks as if Appendix 2 covers AZ handling/prep.

- Julian

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 13th, 2021, 1:45 pm

I had the AZ vaccine yesterday.

I had a reaction, a bit achy this morning, and a sore arm, but far less of a reaction than if an insect had shoved a few ul of biologically active agent into my arm.

Of course as a sample of one and only 1 day after administration, it is impossible to say if there have been or will be any side effects.

Paul

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » March 13th, 2021, 8:54 pm

I haven't read through the whole thread so others may have reported similar experiences, but here's mine.

I had the first AZ vaccine on Tuesday at about 2pm, all was well until about 10pm when quite suddenly I started to feel clammy and shivery. Fluey. Then the headache kicked in. I took myself off to bed but sleep wouldn't come, I just felt worse with each passing hour, boiling hot but with cold hands and feet, head thumping. Trips to the loo were shaky affairs, my balance was also affected. I fell asleep at about 5am and woke feeling no better at about 8. Aside from the odd trip to the loo or the kitchen I stayed in bed until 3pm when I had a bath and got dressed. Feeling a little better I went downstairs, ate a little then fell into a deep sleep on the sofa for about an hour, after which I felt very much better. I slept like a log that night and was more or less back to normal the next morning.

Few things. it began almost immediately after I'd drunk a small glass of brandy. Just the one and it was a small one, could that have had anything to do with it? Secondly, I'm undergoing some investigations for a possible autoimmune condition, the symptoms of which were very much exacerbated by the fever. Could this have had something to do with my reaction?

Other than that I'm in good health, normal weight, reasonably fit etc.

Anyway, I think this qualifies as a bad reaction so that's what I've put on the survey.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 13th, 2021, 9:47 pm

Fluke wrote:I haven't read through the whole thread so others may have reported similar experiences, but here's mine.

I had the first AZ vaccine on Tuesday at about 2pm, all was well until about 10pm when quite suddenly I started to feel clammy and shivery. Fluey. Then the headache kicked in. I took myself off to bed but sleep wouldn't come, I just felt worse with each passing hour, boiling hot but with cold hands and feet, head thumping. Trips to the loo were shaky affairs, my balance was also affected. I fell asleep at about 5am and woke feeling no better at about 8. Aside from the odd trip to the loo or the kitchen I stayed in bed until 3pm when I had a bath and got dressed. Feeling a little better I went downstairs, ate a little then fell into a deep sleep on the sofa for about an hour, after which I felt very much better. I slept like a log that night and was more or less back to normal the next morning.

Few things. it began almost immediately after I'd drunk a small glass of brandy. Just the one and it was a small one, could that have had anything to do with it? Secondly, I'm undergoing some investigations for a possible autoimmune condition, the symptoms of which were very much exacerbated by the fever. Could this have had something to do with my reaction?

Other than that I'm in good health, normal weight, reasonably fit etc.

Anyway, I think this qualifies as a bad reaction so that's what I've put on the survey.

Mine was the same day as yours, a few hours earlier (11:10 appointment, jabbed at around 11:30am). Fine for the first 12 hours then cold shivers started. No clamminess - just cold. Went to bed with a hot water bottle and I slept well/comfortably despite 11pm otherwise being a early night for me. I did have a modest sized rum and coke at around 9pm, so if that was a trigger for bringing on the coldness/shivers it was a couple of hours delayed in my case. Felt a little heady until late morning the next day, but then after that I was fine. Speaking to others and a 24 hour noticeable period and then fine seems to be very common.

I wouldn't classify my experience as a bad one. Just a noticeable one. Not nice obviously, but not that unpleasant and somewhat reassuring that my body was reacting to in effect being given a safe form of the virus. If I had no reaction at all I'd be inclined to think that maybe it hadn't done anything.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 13th, 2021, 10:12 pm

1nvest wrote:I wouldn't classify my experience as a bad one. Just a noticeable one. Not nice obviously, but not that unpleasant and somewhat reassuring that my body was reacting to in effect being given a safe form of the virus. If I had no reaction at all I'd be inclined to think that maybe it hadn't done anything.

According to the poll, 87% of Lemons experienced either zero or very mild side-effects.

Are you suggesting that the vaccine didn't work for them because of that?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 14th, 2021, 10:39 am

1nvest wrote:Went to bed with a hot water bottle and I slept well/comfortably despite 11pm otherwise being a early night for me. I did have a modest sized rum and coke at around 9pm,

Alcohol is known to reduce immune response, might not make much difference, but these days I do avoid alcohol the night before and for a couple of days after a vaccination. Although I do enjoy a Rum and Coke of a weekend evening, usually about 7pm whilst cooking tea, as I was jabbed on Friday I'll have to wait until tomorrow for mine :)

Paul

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 14th, 2021, 7:59 pm

AZN first jab yesterday. No real side effects, maybe feeling a bit tired today (?).

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 16th, 2021, 11:31 am

So it looks like our poll backs up the suggestion of more side effects from the AZ vaccine...hopefully no blood clots though!

John

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 16th, 2021, 11:37 am

redsturgeon wrote:So it looks like our poll backs up the suggestion of more side effects from the AZ vaccine...hopefully no blood clots though!

John

I can't see the poll results. I'm assuming that's because I haven't voted as I haven't had the vaccination yet. Too young :lol:

AiY

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 16th, 2021, 11:46 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I can't see the poll results. I'm assuming that's because I haven't voted as I haven't had the vaccination yet. Too young :lol:

Click on "View Results" just below the poll.

Scott.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 16th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Sorry! Error in calculation. :oops:

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 16th, 2021, 12:32 pm

I posted some days ago, maybe on a different CV thread, that 'experts' say that the side effects of the AZN vaccine are greater with the first jab than the 2nd and it's the other way round with the Pfizer. They also say that the side effects do not relate to the amount of antibody protection.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 17th, 2021, 8:09 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000t48v

Interesting R4 programme on vaccine side effects.

John

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 17th, 2021, 10:03 am

redsturgeon wrote:R4 programme on vaccine side effects.

'...in trials, about a third of the people who had the placebo had side effects...'

'...if you've had covid, the response to the first dose tends to be strong' [paraphrase]

...'if you've had covid, you should wait four weeks before having the vaccine'

The role of pharmacists...

Yes, interesting programme. Worth a listen. Briefly mentions the politicians, sorry I mean Euro-clots.

V8

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 17th, 2021, 11:33 am

redsturgeon wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000t48v

Interesting R4 programme on vaccine side effects.

John

This is an article re the programme
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56375307
Age is a factor (older people, fewer/less severe side effects) but "two people the same age can have wildly different reactions to a vaccine."

Side effects to not indicate/predict protection levels
"There are examples, like pandemic flu in 2009, where stronger side effects meant a strong immune response," said Prof Pollard.
But that is not the case with the Covid vaccine, everyone is getting roughly the same protection"

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 17th, 2021, 12:59 pm

'Experts' seem to contradict each other. I definitely heard one say a few days ago that the Pfizer tended to have more side effects after the 2nd jab and it was the reverse in the case of the AZN one. Then there was the Cambridge research which showed that a significant number of over 80s didn't produce sufficient antibodies after one dose to be protected and that the antibody level diminished after 4 weeks or so.

I had my 2nd Pfizer jab at 4.10 p.m. yesterday and again no side effects apart from slight soreness at the site of the inoculation if I touch it or lift my arm. But then, I am pretty ancient!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 18th, 2021, 12:18 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:This is an article re the programme
Age is a factor (older people, fewer/less severe side effects) but "two people the same age can have wildly different reactions to a vaccine."

"There are examples, like pandemic flu in 2009, where stronger side effects meant a strong immune response," said Prof Pollard.
But that is not the case with the Covid vaccine, everyone is getting roughly the same protection"

The more you hear about immunology and vaccines, the more questions it seems to raise!

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » March 18th, 2021, 12:54 pm

XFool wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:This is an article re the programme

The more you hear about immunology and vaccines, the more questions it seems to raise!

And I suspect any good immunologist would agree. A friend of mine (who I must call) is now retired but used to be quite an well known immunologist. One of his favourite sayings is that the half life of immunological knowledge is about 5 years and has been for the last few decades. What he means by that is that if you for instance finish a PhD in immunology today then in 5 years time about half of what was in your PhD will be out of date, either found to be wrong or so simplistic as to be worthless in light of more recent more detailed understanding of some particular mechanism you were attempting to describe.

As a lay person there are three things I am pretty sure I do understand about immunology - it is complicated, it is a fast-moving field, and we humans are still only scratching the surface when it comes to understanding it.

- Julian

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 20th, 2021, 9:52 am

Had my first AstraZeneca on Thursday at midday-ish
Nothing until early hours of morning following, but I then felt a bit hot and uncomfortable like I was coming down with a bad cold and I had a disturbed night's sleep
Felt fairly rough yesterday but suspect that was the sleep deficit combined with a long working day. I would have probably been OK if I could have had a lie-in...
All that remains this morning is the slightly sore arm, and some tiredness. I usually feel worse on a Saturday, but I've given up booze for 8 days after (and 6 days before) the jab :-) Hopefully side-effect relapse isn't likely and one should gradually recover
I have voted 'some side effects'

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”