Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The Thick of It - the Cummings version

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

The Thick of It - the Cummings version

Postby terminal7 » May 26th, 2021, 3:21 pm

Herd immunity, swine flu, Johnson wants to be injected on TV with CV-19 by Whitty, chicken pox parties, Hancock should have been sacked at least 15 times - it goes on and on.

Surely the following is a discarded extract from an Armando Iannucci script turned down as just not plausible:

Mr Cummings painted a vivid picture of the atmosphere in Downing Street on one "crazy" day when the government was considering a national lockdown. On the morning of 12 March, said Mr Cummings, the "national security people came in" and said "Trump wants us to join a bombing campaign in the Middle East tonight" and this "totally derailed" meetings about coronavirus. At the same time, "the prime minister's girlfriend was going completely crackers" over stories in the press about her dog. Part of the building was talking about bombing Iraq, part was talking about household restrictions, and "the prime minister's girlfriend was going completely crackers about something trivial," Mr Cummings told the committee.

Is this the same dog that is chewing up the expensive furniture? The mutt needs to be ennobled.

T7

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Re: The Thick of It - the Cummings version

Postby Sunnypad » May 27th, 2021, 11:02 pm

The most alarming part of what he said was that there should have been a dictator type person in charge.

I fear more lockdown, stricter lockdown, and the possible abuse of myself and rellies, being of Indian origin.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 27th, 2021, 11:40 pm

Sunnypad wrote:The most alarming part of what he said was that there should have been a dictator type person in charge.

I fear more lockdown, stricter lockdown, and the possible abuse of myself and rellies, being of Indian origin.

I wonder if Dom being Dom he didn't mean dictator in the original sense
Dictator, in the Roman Republic, a temporary magistrate with extraordinary powers, nominated by a consul on the recommendation of the Senate and confirmed by the Comitia Curiata (a popular assembly)

- which to be honest would make a lot of sense in some situations (especially where people are more interested in covering their pink marshmallows than effective action)

- sd

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » May 28th, 2021, 12:30 am

Sunnypad wrote:The most alarming part of what he said was that there should have been a dictator type person in charge.

I am hopeful, though I think another lockdown when we are so close to herd immunity would be badly demoralising.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » May 28th, 2021, 11:06 am

Dictator in the original sense doesn't make me feel better.

The power grab, now the NHS data grab....terrifying. I thought I was alone but now I think the people who are worried don't mention it online.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 28th, 2021, 12:29 pm

Sunnypad wrote:The power grab, now the NHS data grab....

This seems to be going under the radar, it was on The Register and even got a mention in a short piece on the BEEB the other day. There is a form one can download to opt out. (Referenced in The Register article) Has to be in by some time in June, I think.

The guy interviewed by the BBC said it is mentioned on the NHS Digital website. It isn't immediately obvious where.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » May 28th, 2021, 12:42 pm

I think this is the NHS Digital one

How do I know if I need to use it?!

https://www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matter ... ur-choice/

I think I have the paper form for Type 1 to send to my GP.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 28th, 2021, 1:05 pm

Sunnypad wrote:I think this is the NHS Digital one

I saw that, it says "Page last reviewed: 10 July 2019". Which seems at odds with alleged new developments and a new deadline(?) in June 2021. It isn't being discussed generally, so I am at a loss...

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » May 28th, 2021, 1:19 pm

XFool wrote:
Sunnypad wrote:I think this is the NHS Digital one

I saw that, it says "Page last reviewed: 10 July 2019". Which seems at odds with alleged new developments and a new deadline(?) in June 2021. It isn't being discussed generally, so I am at a loss...

This link also leads here

https://digital.nhs.uk/services/national-data-opt-out

I'll post on DAK.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”