Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Three vaccine doses

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Three vaccine doses

Postby Hallucigenia » August 19th, 2021, 2:22 pm

Julian wrote:complex and broader issues about whether the plan is even necessary at all

...the main one being they need any vaccine supplies to do a U-turn on vaccinating teenagers - the UK is an outlier at the moment, most Western countries are jabbing 12+ year-olds, and given the way our school system works, it would make sense to jab according to the rule "anyone at secondary school". It's already too late, we should have been jabbing kids weeks ago, so that they could start the school term properly vaccinated at 2 jabs + 2 weeks.

This graph from the FT using ONS/PHE data is interesting :

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 19th, 2021, 4:07 pm

Texts received from GP wrt separate appointments in September for Flu and COVID booster vaccinations.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 19th, 2021, 4:08 pm

Which part of the country?
and age bracket ( if you don't mind)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 19th, 2021, 4:58 pm

...London, over 70.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 19th, 2021, 5:00 pm

cheers
I'm in London too (early 60s) so hopefully not too far behind for No.3 :)

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » August 19th, 2021, 5:26 pm

I'm really not sure what I'll do if offered a booster jab.

I heard one of the professors describe having a booster in present world circumstances as like taking a second life jacket. I have friends in several countries (Thailand, India, Lebanon) struggling to get vaccinations for their elderly and vulnerable loved ones.

Best wishes,

Steve

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 19th, 2021, 5:54 pm

Steveam wrote:I'm really not sure what I'll do if offered a booster jab.

I heard one of the professors describe having a booster in present world circumstances as like taking a second life jacket. I have friends in several countries (Thailand, India, Lebanon) struggling to get vaccinations for their elderly and vulnerable loved ones.

Best wishes,

Steve

Astrazeneca has made huge efforts to produce the vaccine all round the world, including a factory in Thailand.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/what-scienc ... globe.html

I very much doubt that Brits taking British production, which for booster jabs will have been mixed with flu jab, reduces the supply available in far eastern countries.

As the effectiveness of the original jab is steadily wearing off it is important to have the booster and stop a re-emergence of a huge problem in this country.

The analogy would perhaps rather be - accepting a second life jacket when the first one is fatally punctured and there are sufficient on the ship to go round.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 19th, 2021, 6:15 pm

I'm no educted at all about this matter, but that chart seems to indicate we might need rejabbing once or twice a year. Not a great outlook for the NHS or the world economy.

Arb.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » August 19th, 2021, 6:22 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:I very much doubt that Brits taking British production, which for booster jabs will have been mixed with flu jab, reduces the supply available in far eastern countries.

A comforting fantasy. They're going to places like Kenya, Jamaica, Indonesia and the Philippines - last time I looked, the latter were in Asia

As part of the UK's donations, Kenya will receive 817,000 doses, Indonesia will get 600,000 and 300,000 will be transported to Jamaica.
The UK is donating Oxford-Astra Zeneca vaccines which have been made in Oxford and packaged in North Wales.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-b ... hilippines
The vaccines are expected to start leaving the UK this week, with the Philippines among the countries set to receive doses

There really is a desperate world-wide shortage of vaccine, some people won't get first-jabbed until the end of next year - imagine.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » August 19th, 2021, 6:24 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I'm no educted at all about this matter, but that chart seems to indicate we might need rejabbing once or twice a year. Not a great outlook for the NHS or the world economy.

Bear in mind that for many vaccines (including flu), 50% is considered a good result at the outset, some are only 30% or so against symptomatic infection. Also note that the chart is for symptoms, not death or hospitalisation, which continue at a much higher level.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 19th, 2021, 6:36 pm

I have posted this before
I have monthly blood tests (part of an ONS study) which currently show I am positive for antibodies, if that turns to negative over the next few tests, then I would like a booster (I do know there is more to immunity than antobodies) but nevertheless I would feel safer

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Steveam wrote:
I'm really not sure what I'll do if offered a booster jab.

I heard one of the professors describe having a booster in present world circumstances as like taking a second life jacket.

I understand your concern, but if you're eligible for a booster and you're offered one in the near future and don't take it, then it's unlikely that the particular vial of vaccine that you turn down will suddenly be transported abroad to be used elsewhere...

If they roll out a UK booster programme, then the chances are that they'll gear up for it on fairly tight supply lines expecting people to take them, and all you might be doing by turning it down is allowing it's date to expire and for it to go to waste...

Now that, I'd feel guilty about...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 19th, 2021, 8:32 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:I very much doubt that Brits taking British production, which for booster jabs will have been mixed with flu jab, reduces the supply available in far eastern countries.

AFAIK they will be administered separately.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » August 19th, 2021, 9:56 pm

From the FT:

WHO’s Africa regional director condemns vaccine booster shots for rich countries
George Steer

The World Health Organization’s regional director for Africa has accused rich countries of making a “mockery” of vaccine equity by offering their populations Covid booster shots while poorer nations lack jabs.

“Moves by some countries globally to introduce booster shots threaten the promise of a brighter tomorrow for Africa,” Dr Matshidiso Moeti said on Thursday.

“As some richer countries hoard vaccines, they make a mockery, frankly, of vaccine equity,” she said, adding that high-income countries had on average administered 103 doses per 100 residents, compared with six per 100 in Africa.

Moeti’s comments came hours after US health authorities said they were “prepared to offer booster shots for all Americans” eight months after their second dose.

UN-backed vaccines alliance Gavi also appeared to criticise the US move. “Every booster shot provided to an inhabitant of a higher-income economy means one less shot for unvaccinated at-risk populations in lower-income countries,” it said in a statement on Thursday.

“A two-dose regimen of any of the vaccines currently approved by the WHO provides extremely strong protection against hospitalisation and death whereas leaving people unvaccinated means greater risk of new variants and a prolonging of this crisis,” Gavi said.

Best wishes,

Steve

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 19th, 2021, 10:47 pm

Steveam wrote:From the FT:

UN-backed vaccines alliance Gavi also appeared to criticise the US move. “Every booster shot provided to an inhabitant of a higher-income economy means one less shot for unvaccinated at-risk populations in lower-income countries,” it said in a statement on Thursday.

Steve

That's the point of being born in a rich country. You get the best of everything, not just in this particular case, but in everything from cradle to grave.

As Warren Buffett used to remark at the beginning of lectures to American colleges about becoming successful: "Well done. You've all made the first step by being born in the USA".

Arb.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » August 19th, 2021, 11:08 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I'm no educted at all about this matter, but that chart seems to indicate we might need rejabbing once or twice a year. Not a great outlook for the NHS or the world economy.
Arb.

A number of scientists now have given up on the idea that we could achieve herd immunity because of the high rate of double vaccinated people still catching covid - some reports suggest that vaccinated people can carry just a high a viral load from catching covid as an unvaccinated person.

The consensus is moving towards acceptance that covid is here to stay and is going to be endemic.

In other words, the efficacy against symptomatic disease doesn't necessarily mean boosters are needed.

What matters is whether that reduction in anti-bodies / apparent efficacy translates into an increase in hospitalisation or death.

No-one expects there to be no hospitalisations or deaths, it's a matter of whether they stay at an 'acceptable' level or not. That will be the key decider whether re-jabs might, or might not, be needed.

It's quite possible, if the jabbed rate of infection stays high enough, that further 'boosts' might actually just come from catching covid itself.

Earlier research suggested that catching covid actually gives a broader immune response vs the vaccine, so in a way it might actually be preferable to catch covid after being vaccinated.

In fact, some research I read suggested that covid re-infection is actually still quite uncommon. I did see one unbelievably small number reported for the number of confirmed re-infections, though so small that I'd want to better understand how the number was arrived at before reading too much into it.

Whereas catching covid - albeit either asymptomatically or with much reduced symptoms - still seems quite common for vaccinated people.

So it could even end up that we might eventually achieve herd immunity, but from a combination of first getting the vaccine, and then catching the real thing. Though, if you've had the vaccine, maybe catching the real thing doesn't prove as beneficial as the research that I saw suggested, as that research was several months ago before may / any people had been vaccinated; perhaps the immune response from catching real covid isn't as good if it's already been primed with the vaccine and so doesn't need to do as much work.

But to a large extent we'll just have to wait and see. Even the government and scientists admit they're still gathering the data so it could still play out a number of ways.

The working presumption in the UK is currently that it's going to be endemic, but the vaccine will protect from the worst, and the reports on the reduction in symptomatic efficacy don't automatically mean protection from hospitalisation and / or death won't still remain high.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 20th, 2021, 12:44 am

onthemove wrote:Earlier research suggested that catching covid actually gives a broader immune response vs the vaccine, so in a way it might actually be preferable to catch covid after being vaccinated.

89 year old mother caught Covid (whilst in hospital) two week after her first Pfizer jab. Expressed no symptoms whatsoever. 25 year old son caught Covid without having had any jabs, he experienced a fortnight of chesty cough, cold like symptoms. Not his usual self for 5 days or so, thereafter other than a lingering cough was fine. His mates were passing it around after they opened up clubbing again, all having similar 'cold' like issues. His bother and I living in the same house/living room etc. as infected son with no distancing or masks endured no symptoms, both of us having double jabbed (me Oxford, him Pfizer).

For the vast majority it might be just 'another cold'. For some more flu like, for a small number fatal. Life. Lock yourself away Howard Hughes style and live a life in isolation/self-quarantine in fear of contraction/death, or just live life and hope that the one of a million potential life takers comes later rather than sooner.

I suspect the government opted for the pox Covid parties (nightclubs reopening) in expectation of having most having contracted Covid before the expected bad year flu season.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » August 20th, 2021, 12:59 am

A good thread on third jabs from Vineet Menachery, a long-time coronavirus researcher. TLDR :

immune compromised patients should definitely get a 3rd jab, as they generally have very low response after 2.
>50's - jury is out at the moment, it should help, but no evidence for that yet. Shouldn't hurt - but vaccines better deployed in the unjabbed
<50's - nothing to support 3rd jab at the moment

Although serum neutralization is a good proxy for protection, it's not perfect, possibly because it's driven by IgG which easily gets to the lungs but which may not give mucosal immunity which protects the airway. So that could well be how the virus "breaks" the vaccines. Delta in particular is helped by the TMPRSS2 protease which is prevalent on the surface of the airway.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 20th, 2021, 1:13 am

Does the vaccines prevent contraction, or alleviate symptoms from having contracted? If you've been vaccinated and contracted Covid since, perhaps quite a high probability, but exhibited no/low symptoms, then is not your body already aware and better able to alleviate subsequent contractions.

If so would it not be best to have as many globally 'most vulnerable' vaccinated asap rather than some with none, some with three.

One seemed 'enough' before, when the policy was to spread otherwise two doses around to twice as many as otherwise double dosed.

Much seems a money grab, Pfizer pushing low cost £3/dose competitor Oxford out of the market to better uplift their £15/dose products profits. £360 billion in global sales potential if they can sell everyone should have three, versus £120Bn if one dose each is enough for all, versus £12Bn if one dose per vulnerable is enough.

Given how many unvaccinated in the 20's and below have contracted Covid with little/no symptoms, maybe without the financial incentive only the most vulnerable might actually have needed to be vaccinated. Perhaps just a £12Bn market.

Maybe given the money grab and the profitability push the manufacturers should again be put on the hook for liability claims rather than individuals having to accept what they're pushing at their own individual risk.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » August 21st, 2021, 8:01 am

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”