Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Bottle conditioned - sediment

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
swill453
Lemon Half

Bottle conditioned - sediment

Postby swill453 » December 3rd, 2017, 6:14 pm

Drinking a bottle of Proper Job, and noticed that the label says to "leave the last bit of beer and any sediment in the bottle". As if...

I'm sure others I've read have specifically recommended a swill around before pouring the last bit into the glass.

What do you do?

Scott.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bottle conditioned - sediment

Postby JMN2 » December 3rd, 2017, 8:30 pm

swill453 wrote:Drinking a bottle of Proper Job, and noticed that the label says to "leave the last bit of beer and any sediment in the bottle". As if...

I'm sure others I've read have specifically recommended a swill around before pouring the last bit into the glass.

What do you do?

Scott.

Proper Job is not really very sedimentary example of a bottle conditioned ale, I have a bottle or two of it most weekends and I don't notice any sediment really - swill away at your pleasure if it pleases you.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 3rd, 2017, 8:41 pm

The one I had tonight certainly had noticeable sediment.

They rebranded it recently, green and white rather than blue. Has it always been bottle conditioned? Or are there two versions?

Scott.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 4th, 2017, 4:28 pm

I believe some beer sediments have a similar effect to a dose of syrup of figs :o When I worked behind a bar the landlord always told me to ask whether or not the customer required all of the bottle to be poured into the glass, one regular, Jack the Sailor would have everything poured into the glass on a Friday night as he said it kept him "reglar".

R6

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 4th, 2017, 4:44 pm

IIRC De Koninck brewery tap in Antwerp serves the yeast in a shot glass on the side. It's good in other ways too as it contains B12 vitamin (I think).

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 5th, 2017, 1:23 pm

swill453 wrote:The one I had tonight certainly had noticeable sediment.

They rebranded it recently, green and white rather than blue. Has it always been bottle conditioned? Or are there two versions?

Scott.

At the supermarket today I did quite an extensive experiment and checked a few bottles from the new label range - I still think there's not much yeast trub but had there been both the new and old brands of PJ I would've bought one each and compared them. IIRC Sainsburys has both the new and old bottles, I always assumed it was just a rebranding but next time I'll buy them both and check the BBE dates on the labels. I am quite sure both labels say bottle-conditioned.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 5th, 2017, 1:27 pm

JMN2 wrote:At the supermarket today I did quite an extensive experiment and checked a few bottles from the new label range - I still think there's not much yeast trub but had there been both the new and old brands of PJ I would've bought one each and compared them. IIRC Sainsburys has both the new and old bottles, I always assumed it was just a rebranding but next time I'll buy them both and check the BBE dates on the labels. I am quite sure both labels say bottle-conditioned.

Actually after I posted the last message I did a Google image search for PJ bottles, and the old one was definitely also bottle conditioned. I haven't always noticed sediment, but the reason for my original post was that I did a proper swirl of the dregs from a bottle and got quite a bit, including some little lumps.

Scott.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 5th, 2017, 6:53 pm

I can't remember which one it was, but I used to buy a beer with a good 1/4" of sediment in the bottom.

Drinking that would guarantee a lack of constipation and if you had 2 or 3 bottles, a case of the trots.

I'd no more drink the sediment from the bottom of a bottle conditioned beer than from the bottom of a wine that needs decanting to leave the dead yeast behind.

Slarti

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » December 6th, 2017, 1:11 am

JMN2 wrote:IIRC De Koninck brewery tap in Antwerp serves the yeast in a shot glass on the side. It's good in other ways too as it contains B12 vitamin (I think).

Yep, it's a bit of a thing in the Low Countries, here's Affligem telling you to do it, Hopus even have branded shot glasses.

Yeast is full of B vitamins, and processing alcohol uses them up, which is why Marmite is such a good hangover food. Part of the theory of drinking the dregs is to ward off hangovers, but it's also a gastronomic thing in its own right with some beers (but not others).

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 6th, 2017, 9:19 am

I usually drink Red Cat Prowler during my Tuesday poker game at my local, at 3.6% it gives me some chance of still being able to play cards at the end of the night. When they do not have any on tap I revert to their bottle conditioned version, and very nice it is too.

I sometimes pour the whole bottle for a slightly hazy glassful or leave it out for a cleaner tasting clear glass of beer. Thanks for the link Hal, I might try the shot glass way.

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 8th, 2017, 6:44 pm

swill453 wrote:
JMN2 wrote:At the supermarket today I did quite an extensive experiment and checked a few bottles from the new label range - I still think there's not much yeast trub but had there been both the new and old brands of PJ I would've bought one each and compared them. IIRC Sainsburys has both the new and old bottles, I always assumed it was just a rebranding but next time I'll buy them both and check the BBE dates on the labels. I am quite sure both labels say bottle-conditioned.

Actually after I posted the last message I did a Google image search for PJ bottles, and the old one was definitely also bottle conditioned. I haven't always noticed sediment, but the reason for my original post was that I did a proper swirl of the dregs from a bottle and got quite a bit, including some little lumps.

Scott.

I bought 3 new label PJ's today but obviously from the same batch.1/3: totally crystal clear, not one iota of sediment visible to the naked eye. I left half an inch to the bottle, swirled it and poured into a pint glass...crystal clear.

At this stage I am thinking "bottle conditioned" is a mere marketing slogan but I'm sure they leave enough something that in a court of law would pass as bottle conditioning.

Anyhoo, a cracking beer. One of my boring home bought favourites. Does exactly what it says on a tin - 5.5 abv...

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 15th, 2017, 8:58 pm

Two more bottles bought and opened... I poured the beers very slowly and could not see any sediment anywhere moving or showing. I am just wondering if PJ is just bottle conditioned in name only, a new brewery invention where they can say it but the drinker can't see it, for the modern drinker who wants the beer to be very sanitised. I am sure if one looked the beer under a microscope one could qualify it as BC but for your everyday punter the beer is crystal clear.

Still, a lovely beer. Really solid, crisp, not sweet, nice.

Return to “Drink”