Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUS 11.4 timed out error on Get DL forecast

Discussions regarding financial software
vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

HYPTUS 11.4 timed out error on Get DL forecast

Postby vrdiver » December 5th, 2017, 11:29 am

I'm running MS Office Professional Plus 2010 WITH HYPTUS 11.4 (beta)

A Microsoft Visual basic dialogue box pops up with:

Run-time error '-2147012894 (80072ee2)':
The operation timed out

This happens after a seemingly random number of rows have been updated.

Pressing "Help" in the dialogue box takes me to the Excel Help for "Automation Error (Error 440)" which text shows:

When you access Automation objects, specific types of errors can occur. This error has the following cause and solution:

An error occurred while executing a method or getting or setting a property of an object variable. The error was reported by the application that created the object.
Check the properties of the Err object to determine the source and nature of the error. Also try using the On Error Resume Next statement immediately before the accessing statement, and then check for errors immediately following the accessing statement.

Any help appreciated!
VRD

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYPTUS 11.4 timed out error on Get DL forecast

Postby Raptor » December 5th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Got that on Friday too. Eventually managed to get a clean run after a while

Excel 2007, non-commercial. HYPTUSS 11.4.

Raptor.

puffster
2 Lemon pips

Postby puffster » December 5th, 2017, 1:55 pm

Just got the same error using Excel 2013 Pro under Windows 8.1 with no dividends downloaded. Reclicked the download DL dividend data button and it worked fine, albeit very slow.

Puffster

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 5th, 2017, 5:07 pm

puffster wrote:
Just got the same error using Excel 2013 Pro under Windows 8.1 with no dividends downloaded. Reclicked the download DL dividend data button and it worked fine, albeit very slow.

Thanks guys. Given this is a recent issue and is related to a time-out, there's a chance that it might be something to do with the Digital Look website itself.

I suggest we keep an eye on it for now, but would welcome any further feedback if the issue persists.

As an aside, has anyone had any similar issues with the LibreOffice version?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 5th, 2017, 11:15 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:As an aside, has anyone had any similar issues with the LibreOffice version?

Ran a 'get forecast yields' this morning (v.b-f/LibreOffice) - slow as treacle, went away and left it to get on with it. Finished in the end with no errors reported, but boy did it take a long time!

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 6th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Itsallaguess wrote: suggest we keep an eye on it for now, but would welcome any further feedback if the issue persists.

Breelander wrote:Ran a 'get forecast yields' this morning (v.b-f/LibreOffice) - slow as treacle...

Ran it again (twice) today around 6:15pm as a check. For 29 shares it takes 150 seconds. That feels like it's back to my 'normal' speed, but not having timed it before I can't be precise. It certainly doesn't feel excessively slow today.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 6th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Breelander wrote:
Breelander wrote:
Ran a 'get forecast yields' this morning (v.b-f/LibreOffice) - slow as treacle...

Ran it again (twice) today around 6:15pm as a check. For 29 shares it takes 150 seconds. That feels like it's back to my 'normal' speed, but not having timed it before I can't be precise. It certainly doesn't feel excessively slow today.

Thanks Bree, that sounds encouraging.

Any improvements seen by the others who posted earlier in this thread?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 7th, 2017, 8:27 am

Just to update. This problem was not isolated to 11.4, previous versions of HYPTUSS encountered the same problem. I keep various flavours of spreadsheet to help "test" new versions. Still getting Time out errors on Excel.

Raptor.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » December 7th, 2017, 9:39 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Any improvements seen by the others who posted earlier in this thread?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Afraid not. Just reran and got the same error after updating four rows.

VRD

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » December 12th, 2017, 11:17 am

I have the same problem, can't get the "Get Digital Look Forecast Yields" to work at all, times out each time.

Been having the problem for the last week or so, but been away so couldn't report it.

regards,
Darka

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 12th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Darka wrote:
I have the same problem, can't get the "Get Digital Look Forecast Yields" to work at all, times out each time.

Been having the problem for the last week or so, but been away so couldn't report it.

I've just seen the same issue myself for the first time. When I've tested in the past my scrape has worked as expected.

I tried three times to get the Forecast Yields, and the first two times I saw the 'time-out' error message in Excel. The third time everything went through smoothly.

The tool is working correctly, but there's clearly something going on with Digital Look, so I think the best course of action is to just persevere with it for now and hope that DL get their end sorted out eventually.

For anyone having the problem, then re-trying at what might be considered 'quiet-hours' might be worth a go, if this is some sort of capacity-issue at the DL end.

Thanks for the updates, it's useful to know this is a wider issue for people but that the tool itself does work eventually.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 12th, 2017, 5:20 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Darka wrote:

I've just seen the same issue myself for the first time. When I've tested in the past my scrape has worked as expected.

I tried three times to get the Forecast Yields, and the first two times I saw the 'time-out' error message in Excel. The third time everything went through smoothly.

The tool is working correctly, but there's clearly something going on with Digital Look, so I think the best course of action is to just persevere with it for now and hope that DL get their end sorted out eventually.

For anyone having the problem, then re-trying at what might be considered 'quiet-hours' might be worth a go, if this is some sort of capacity-issue at the DL end.

Thanks for the updates, it's useful to know this is a wider issue for people but that the tool itself does work eventually.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I've given an 8-share test HYP a fairly good bashing over the last few days but I still have not seen the timeout message, even though Digital Look is very slow at times.
I did have some time-out issues as I developed the OpenOffice version, which uses Python. I finally arrived at the following process.

1. Try to get the data from Digital Look with a 10 second timeout
  2. If it fails, try again with a 20 second timeout
  3. If it still fails, try again with a 40 second timeout
  4. If it still fails, try again with an 80 second timeout
  5. If it still fails, try again with a 120 second timeout
  6. If it still fails, move on to the next share
I wonder if such a process can be done with Excel VBA? Probably a dumb question, I'm sure it can.

--kiloran

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » December 12th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Thanks Itsallaguess and kiloran,

I use 2 copies of the HYPTUS, one for my HYP (x23 Shares) and the other for my IT's (x3 IT's).

The IT version always works, a little slow sometimes but it's fine, the HYP version always times out, usually on the 3rd or 25th share and more rarely on some of the others, so I don't think it's share specific but a timing issue as you say.

I've tried it at several times of the day, using two computers and it always times out, I'll keep trying of course, but just wanted you to know.

regards,

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 12th, 2017, 6:42 pm

kiloran wrote:I did have some time-out issues as I developed the OpenOffice version, which uses Python. I finally arrived at the following process.

Seems to work well. I've just run it twice for my 29 shares in version b-f. First run the majority took around 5 seconds to return, some more were about 15 seconds and a few two took around 25 seconds. It's not repeatable, second run was faster at about 5 seconds for most, and the few that took longer were different shares this time.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » December 13th, 2017, 10:31 am

As a workaround, if the "Get Digitallook Forecast Yields" fails, I copy the successfully updated cells from columns J, K and L (Yield, Cover and P/E) over to the same rows in columns AD, AE and AF. I then select all the data from B5 (the first header) to the last entry, including all columns to AF. (Sounds much more work than it is!)

Once selected, I sort by column P (Expected dividend), ordering from smallest to largest. This puts the successfully updated rows at the bottom of the table. Rerun the "Get Digitallook Forecast Yields" and repeat until all rows have updated values, either in J, K and L, or AD, AE and AF. I then copy and paste any values needed from my temporary columns back to their original cells before deleting the temporary columns.

End result is that it may take more than one go to update the table, but I am not dependent on a successful run.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”