Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Homeplugs

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Homeplugs

Postby RedSnapper » December 7th, 2017, 11:00 am

We have a number of Devolo homeplugs in use in our home and need to add another. The problem is that the current range are not compatible with our ancient (85mbps) devices.

So....there are some good deals on the new versions, such as £25 for a pair of modern 500mbps ones. Can I run two sets at once? There is a spare socket on the back of the router so that's not a problem, but would having two incompatible sets of homeplugs cause a problem?

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Homeplugs

Postby didds » December 7th, 2017, 12:01 pm

You can run as many different sets of homeplugs alongside each other as you like but each set will need a "master" homeplug connected to the router (or at least a way that gets and sends traffic to the router) and its own wall socket.

didds

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » December 7th, 2017, 12:05 pm

I believe you should be able to run old and new ones alongside each other, but I've never tried - so at your own risk! I keep changing my mind on homeplug. It can be great, but I've also had problems where it drops out and can be incredibly hard to find the cause (in my home, it turned out that a computer power supply was generating interference which knocked out the network)

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » December 7th, 2017, 1:46 pm

I'm sure I've run two sets at once, in fact, I'm sure one set was some 85mb devolo ones too. Each different set just needs plugging into the router.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 7th, 2017, 1:54 pm

https://www.devolo.co.uk/service/faq/dl ... powerline/

Are devolo adapters of different speed classes (200, 500, 650, 1200) compatible?

Yes, devolo products of different speed classes are fully compatible with each other. In a mixed network, each adapter connects to every other adapter at the highest possible speed. It does so independently of the other adapters in the network. In a network consisting of a 200 Mbps adapter and two 500 Mbps adapters, for example, the 200 Mbps adapter will connect to the 500 Mbps adapters at a speed of 200 Mbps. At the same time, the 500 Mbps adapters connect to each other at the full 500 Mbps.

The only exception here is old devices with a speed of 14 and 85 Mbps. Unfortunately, these are not compatible with current products.

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » December 7th, 2017, 2:04 pm

didds wrote:You can run as many different sets of homeplugs alongside each other as you like but each set will need a "master" homeplug connected to the router (or at least a way that gets and sends traffic to the router) and its own wall socket.

didds

Sounds good, that's what we need.

Midsmartin wrote:I believe you should be able to run old and new ones alongside each other, but I've never tried - so at your own risk! I keep changing my mind on homeplug. It can be great, but I've also had problems where it drops out and can be incredibly hard to find the cause (in my home, it turned out that a computer power supply was generating interference which knocked out the network)

We've been using them for more than 10 years and have never had an issue at all. There, that should jinx it.... :D

UncleIan wrote:I'm sure I've run two sets at once, in fact, I'm sure one set was some 85mb devolo ones too. Each different set just needs plugging into the router.

Excellent.
Infrasonic wrote:https://www.devolo.co.uk/service/faq/dlan-1200-powerline/

Are devolo adapters of different speed classes (200, 500, 650, 1200) compatible?

Yes, devolo products of different speed classes are fully compatible with each other. In a mixed network, each adapter connects to every other adapter at the highest possible speed. It does so independently of the other adapters in the network. In a network consisting of a 200 Mbps adapter and two 500 Mbps adapters, for example, the 200 Mbps adapter will connect to the 500 Mbps adapters at a speed of 200 Mbps. At the same time, the 500 Mbps adapters connect to each other at the full 500 Mbps.

The only exception here is old devices with a speed of 14 and 85 Mbps. Unfortunately, these are not compatible with current products.

Yes, found that which is why I'm asking the question about having two sets, the existing 85mpbs set and a new pair of 500mbps ones.

Thanks all, sounds hopeful. Amazon here I come.....

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 7th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Yes, found that which is why I'm asking the question about having two sets, the existing 85mpbs set and a new pair of 500mbps ones.

Thanks all, sounds hopeful. Amazon here I come.....

It might affect the overall bandwidth on the newer pair, difficult to know.

As they aren't compatible though you'll be free to get whatever brand you want for newer ones, this site is a good reliable resource I've found for anything 'networky', very thorough testing protocols for all reviews.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/r ... rline/view

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”