Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Oh no!

Scientific discovery and discussion
XFool
The full Lemon

Oh no!

Postby XFool » December 21st, 2017, 8:42 pm

...Not again!

It's pink & white I tell you, pink & white!

BBC

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Oh no!

Postby bungeejumper » December 22nd, 2017, 9:44 am

A sizeable majority of the poll at the end have gone for pink/white. Although, to be fair, it's also possible to vote for nearly all the other options as well, so ahem, perhaps this isn't the most scientific of polls?

I saw it as pink and white too. But then, I've seen everything in pink and white since my university days when I worked at Cadburys on the marshmallow-making machine during the summer holidays. (Yes, I really did. :)) Proper Willy Wonka stuff, it was. I've been suffering from Permanently Traumatised Student Disorder ever since.

BJ

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 21st, 2018, 11:12 pm

This just won't go away, will it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-43483788

Well, obviously they are yellow! But with a green tinge at the bottom...

The green tinge is either just an artefact of the photo, or could possibly even be caused by green light reflecting off grass, if they are being held above a grass surface.

I don't see Federer's opinion about tennis balls in general as useful. Yes, they are doubtless yellow in real life - but what do they look like in the photo?
Though the report claims some people think tennis balls ARE green.

Is this a colour photo too far?

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » March 22nd, 2018, 4:04 pm

Regarding the chest of drawers, the photograph, to me, clearly shows pink and white but I think that the white balance is wrong.

The hue of the "white" drawers varies between at least 33 degrees and 153 degrees, mostly green or green/cyan but with a bit of orange lower left. The saturation, however, is mostly below 10% so quite close to neutral.

The hue of the "pink" drawers is much more tightly defined, ranging from about 353 degrees to 8 degrees, a range of 15 degrees. (360 degrees = 0 degrees in this context.) Pure red is 0 degrees. Saturation ranges from about 15% to 22% so the colour is a light pink.

However, the photograph appears to have a red colour cast. There is very little white to go by but the areas which look like they should be white (with the notable exception of the triangle on the blue thing on the chest of drawers, roughly in the middle) are actually pink. If the colour balance is adjusted to that the "pink" drawers are neutral, the "white" ones look pastel cyan and the other items in the photograph look more natural.

Julian F. G. W.

Return to “Science”