Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Tracking Expenses

Making your money go further
ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Re: Tracking Expenses

Postby ten0rman » January 7th, 2018, 9:15 am

Just a little anecdote from yesterday which shows why I'm creating this database.

Given the current daily temperatures, there is no incentive to go into the workshop so instead I've set about reorganising my computer(s). For example, I know I've got a lot of duplicated photos. And they are not all in the same place. Yes, it's a rather untidy mess.

At one point I found a set of digital photos showing that we had been to the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway (also known as the Yorkshire Dales Railway) but there was no clue as to the date. I then looked on the finances database and discovered that I had two records for the E&BA dating from post 2006 when I bought the first digital camera. One of them was for last year, and I already had a set of photos for then, so it must have been the earlier visit in May 2012. Looking at the other database entries around that time showed a payment to a caravan site at Gargrave, a visit to the Dragon Service Station at Harrogate, an entry fee for an exhibition and a payment to Warco, a model engineering supplier. Ergo, we took the caravan to Gargrave for a few days, had a day trip to the Harrogate Model Engineering Exhibition, and the following day went on the E&BA steam railway. I also had an entry for " a meal, sort of", at Embsay. In other words a cheap and tatty lunchtime snack at the Embsay railway station cafe.

So there we are, a set of photos dated and a reminder of where we were at that time.

ten0rman

p.s Yes I know it's possibly off topic. I give it just to show what my database can do for me.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 7th, 2018, 9:37 am

Surely the photos had metadata giving date taken etc?

Scott.

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » January 8th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Swill,

Something strange. I posted a reply yesterday, but it isn't there. Maybe I did something wrong!

Anyway, in a nutshell, I knew next to nothing about metadata, but I do now having taken the time to read up about it thanks to your prompting. And yes, you were right, I could have found the date that way. And I was right in my deduction of when it was.

So OK, I've wasted my time doing what I did, but at least I got reminded of what we were doing then.

Anyway, thanks again,

ten0rman

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 24th, 2018, 11:56 am

Ah metadata, not to be confused with metadating which appears to be some sort of over 50s dating site.

Dod

Return to “Living Below Your Means”