Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What can be wrong with my email?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

What can be wrong with my email?

Postby melonfool » January 12th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Hi

I don't trust Nationwide to sort this out, especially as they keep giving me different suggestions.

In August I started a new savings account and N'wide emailed me to say it was set up. Fine. That seems to be the last time I heard from them by email. In the meantime, at some point, I ticked a box that said yes please, I'll go paperless. I can see all my accounts online anyway and statements are just an arbitrary date chosen by them as I am not overdrawn.

But since then I have, ironically, received no fewer than four three-page letters from them telling me my emails are bouncing. I've not changed the email address with them and I have checked it on their system more than once, plus typed over it just in case.

I've messaged them and received email confirmations of their replies (but not of my message, which there is an option to do, I ticked the box and did not get an email copy of my message). They are not going into junk (though that would not tell them anyway, so they would not be getting 'bounces' which they say they are getting - which is why I don't trust them, they say they are getting bounces but at the same time tell me the mail might be going into junk - does not compute!).

I can see my emails with the provider (Claranet) on the server which, as far as I know, has no 'junk' box. It may have some sort of filter but not one I can change. I have no way to contact Claranet, they are dreadful and never respond if I try to. I download my emails to Outlook and to my phone (the latter of which has no junk filter, I get all sorts of rubbish on there) and have never seen these statements.

So, given that I do get some emails from N'wide and that my email address with them is right (they also suggested my mailbox might be full but I get millions of other emails and, anyway, it's not - the online thing I have used something like 1%, don't think Outlook has a limit?) where on earth are they getting this 'bounce' idea from?

I suggested they try one of my other email addresses but they say they can only hold one and so I have to go in and change it, which I suppose I can do. I'm really not bothered about getting the statements, I just look online when I feel like it, but why would my emails be doing this? Am I missing emails from other people because of this?

Thanks for any ideas!

Mel

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: What can be wrong with my email?

Postby Alaric » January 12th, 2018, 9:41 pm

melonfool wrote:I suggested they try one of my other email addresses but they say they can only hold one and so I have to go in and change it, which I suppose I can do.

My guess would be that claranet are bouncing it for unknown reasons. The other would be that Nationwide have somehow managed to store a mangled version of your address, but mangled in such a way that it's invisible to the naked eye, but not their bulk email sender of statements. "bulk" is a clue in itself, sometimes servers will reject multiple messages as spam.

Trying another email address would probably solve the problem, one such as gmail or hotmail that could reach you without going through claranet would be a suggestion.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » January 12th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Contact the techs at Claranet.
If the emails are bouncing, there should be a record.

Do NW give an error code?
E.g.
Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
<yours@xxxxxxx>:
550: "The mail server detected your message as spam and has prevented delivery."

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 12th, 2018, 10:37 pm

supremetwo wrote:Contact the techs at Claranet.

E.g.
<yours@xxxxxxx>:
550: "The mail server detected your message as spam and has prevented delivery."

Thank you both.

All I have from Nationwide are four letters telling me my mailbox isn't working properly. They probably do get some kind of error response but the chances of their useless customer service being able to squeeze it from their techs and send it to me are slim.

I will try Claranet to see if they have a record but I've never yet managed to get them to reply to any query. It's pretty tricky to even work out who I am supposed to contact as they have so many services and I'm never sure what my service is even called.

I may just change it to my Hotmail, I can always change it back later. That would at least show if it's Claranet that's the problem.

Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 12th, 2018, 10:37 pm

supremetwo wrote:Contact the techs at Claranet.

E.g.
<yours@xxxxxxx>:

Thank you both.

All I have from Nationwide are four letters telling me my mailbox isn't working properly. They probably do get some kind of error response but the chances of their useless customer service being able to squeeze it from their techs and send it to me are slim.

I will try Claranet to see if they have a record but I've never yet managed to get them to reply to any query. It's pretty tricky to even work out who I am supposed to contact as they have so many services and I'm never sure what my service is even called.

I may just change it to my Hotmail, I can always change it back later. That would at least show if it's Claranet that's the problem.

Mel

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 13th, 2018, 9:23 am

Tentative question. Is this problem just with Nationwide's emails, or are other senders receiving the same bounce messages?

I get something similar from time to time from my BT Internet connection - it seems that BT have identified my own domain's server farm (Heart Internet) as a bunch of spammers. And as far as I can tell, that's because I ask them to mirror everything I receive to my BT account. I haven't looked deeply into it, but I gather that there's nothing I can do about this. Apparently techies from all the world laugh and point at BT for still having this problem when others have fixed it.

Helluva deep topic, by the look of it. https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/why-d ... go.387312/ Goes right over my head, for a start. Good luck.

BJ

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 13th, 2018, 3:33 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Tentative question. Is this problem just with Nationwide's emails, or are other senders receiving the same bounce messages?

I get something similar from time to time from my BT Internet connection - it seems that BT have identified my own domain's server farm (Heart Internet) as a bunch of spammers. And as far as I can tell, that's because I ask them to mirror everything I receive to my BT account. I haven't looked deeply into it, but I gather that there's nothing I can do about this. Apparently techies from all the world laugh and point at BT for still having this problem when others have fixed it.

Helluva deep topic, by the look of it. https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/why-d ... go.387312/ Goes right over my head, for a start. Good luck.

BJ

I'm not sending the messages - Nationwide are. Their response to me does say it is an issue their techies are looking at, but that meas nothing, they say that to everything.

I could send your link to Nationwide? :)

Mel

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » January 13th, 2018, 6:10 pm

There does appear to be some recent tightening.

A legit email from an insurer was rejected today:-
The response from the remote server was:- 554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons.

And that reason appears to be due to forwarding from Gmail to my ISP's mail system, hence failed authentication check that verifies email was sent from the domain of origin.

https://yahoomail.tumblr.com/post/82426 ... ld-senders
If you are a mailing list owner, what should you do?

Mailing lists are a special case of sending mail on behalf of individuals. The most common option is to use the mailing list’s address instead of the sender’s on the From: line. This will change the reply behavior. Some mailing lists also choose to act as pure forwarders and resend the mail without breaking DKIM signatures.

As of this publication, no common mailing list packages provide straightforward configuration options that produce DMARC compatibility, although Mailman has relevant features starting in 2.1.16. If you are a developer of mailing list software and would like help adding features to allow participants from domains with DMARC p=reject, please contact us at dmarc-help@yahoo-inc.com.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”