Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

iphone query

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
pancake101
Lemon Pip

iphone query

Postby pancake101 » January 16th, 2018, 12:23 pm

I have had iphones for the last few years, never any problems. The latest one I have is 5s - it though has a mind of its own.

It lost half my contacts a good while back so not part of the update in December.

Some times I cant use the wee arrow to get back or the Done bit does not work. Even turning the phone off and on does not always change this. I get stuck in a chat in whatsapp , for example. Its sporadic not continuous.

One small thing that is a bit irksome though is it thinks it belongs to someone else! It shows up as belonging to my top contact - how can I change this? Its definitely me in the settings but seems to have added my first contact as 'me'. Does this make sense? Any ideas?

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Re: iphone query

Postby madhatter » January 16th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Is it running on iOS 11?

Are you signed into an iCloud account?

Is it backed up to an iCloud account or to a computer running iTunes?

Have you tried force quitting an app rather than switching the whole phone off and on, by double clicking the home button and swiping up the offending app?

Not sure what you mean by what it thinks is it’s owner. Do you mean the name of your top contact also appears at the top of the Settings screen over where it says Apple ID, iCloud etc?

It may be possible to reset to factory settings and restore data from a backup though I haven’t tried that. Also one would definitely need to have backed up before having a bash.

pancake101
Lemon Pip

Postby pancake101 » January 16th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Thanks for the answer - I will check if everything backed up on the computer.

No I have not tried that with the app - I will next time it happens.

The contact has 'me' beside it. After watching silent witness last night (!) I asked Siri whose iphone this was - well. it gave the wrong answer.

I have checked in settings - it has pancakes iphone in it, I cant take take the word 'me' out by editing but I shall try deleting the contact and re adding at a later stage. Cheers.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » January 16th, 2018, 9:57 pm

The contact has 'me' beside it. After watching silent witness last night (!) I asked Siri whose iphone this was - well. it gave the wrong answer.

That suggests how it may have come up with the wrong owner in Contacts. If I look at my own name in Contacts, it includes another email address I use with the words (Siri found in Mail) beside it.

If I look at my name at the top of Contacts it has ‘My Card’ beneath, and tapping that has my email addresses with the words ‘email (Siri found in Accounts)’

So it looks like it may have been Siri wot dunnit.

If so then perhaps Siri can be induced to correct it. Just a thought.

pancake101
Lemon Pip

Postby pancake101 » January 17th, 2018, 10:28 am

Sorted!
Thank you.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » January 17th, 2018, 11:12 am

Sorted?

What did you do to fix it?

I also meant to ask if the Back and Done problems you mentioned in the OP occurred on any App or just one?

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”