Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Barclays Smart Investor

vagrantbrain

Re: Barclays Smart Investor

Postby vagrantbrain » December 14th, 2017, 10:02 pm

Andy46 wrote:
The thing is, I never had an issue previously remembering, so would question if indeed it is or not myself forgetting.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Thanks

I reached 6 PINs before my transfer out was completed. Had a recurring random issue where i'd be in the middle of doing something after logging in successfully only to be kicked out and told i'd entered my PIN wrong too many times and my account was now locked. Wait a week for the new PIN to arrive, rinse and repeat........

Absolute shambles of a company and i'm glad i'm completely free of them now.

Alaric
Lemon Quarter

Postby Alaric » December 14th, 2017, 11:29 pm

On the topic of Banks using their banking system for investments, NatWest online banking invited me to take a look at their investment service.

Like Barclays this used the banking login method. What was behind the login wasn't terribly impressive. There was a choice of 5 in house OEICs offering spreads of investments with varying degrees of risk. If it's an in house OEIC, I really don't see the justification for a platform fee other than because they can.

Once upon a time there was a NatWest stockbrokers. Didn't that get sold/transferred to TD Direct (as was)?

daveh
Lemon Slice

Postby daveh » December 20th, 2017, 9:00 am

Alaric wrote:On the topic of Banks using their banking system for investments, NatWest online banking invited me to take a look at their investment service.

Like Barclays this used the banking login method. What was behind the login wasn't terribly impressive. There was a choice of 5 in house OEICs offering spreads of investments with varying degrees of risk. If it's an in house OEIC, I really don't see the justification for a platform fee other than because they can.

Once upon a time there was a NatWest stockbrokers. Didn't that get sold/transferred to TD Direct (as was)?

Yes - my first broker, I have/had a personal CREST account with them. Transferred to TD Direct - no on going fees at all as I held over £15K of shares and I wasn't trading (so I wasn't exactly their best customer), but I'm not sure I cost them much either as dividends etc are paid direct to my bank account by the company registrar. Now moved to II and I'll have to pay a qtrly fee that can be set against dealing fees and an extra qtrly fee that can't for the CREST account so a major increase in fees for me.

I am planning on opening a new ISA as my ISA holdings with my ISA broker are getting a bit large and wanted to split my investments between more than one ISA. I had an old single company PEP with Barclays, so had thought about using them, but then the Smart Investor move which have lead to this 17page thread meant I transferred my Barclays account to my original ISA. So I was planning to open a new ISA with TD Direct to do some bed and ISAing, but I'm not so certain that the new II service is going to be so good. I'll see how it goes upto next April when I need to open the new ISA

Alaric
Lemon Quarter

Postby Alaric » December 20th, 2017, 9:08 am

daveh wrote: but I'm not so certain that the new II service is going to be so good.

On the story so far, the only changes are the charging method and the screen colours.

On charges, I concluded that the credit for commissions on periodic reinvestment of dividends and annual sales from the taxed account to raise enough for the new year ISA transfer more or less would offset the new charges.

daveh
Lemon Slice

Postby daveh » December 20th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Alaric wrote:
daveh wrote: but I'm not so certain that the new II service is going to be so good.

On the story so far, the only changes are the charging method and the screen colours.

On charges, I concluded that the credit for commissions on periodic reinvestment of dividends and annual sales from the taxed account to raise enough for the new year ISA transfer more or less would offset the new charges.

Except not for me as the charges for the CREST account can't be offset against dealing fees, the other new charges can, and if I open an ISA then my dealing (dividend reinvestment and bed and ISAing) should cover the first lot of fees.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 20th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Breelander wrote:
csearle wrote:My British Land income used to be paid by Barclays Stockbrokers in full. With Smart Investor it has been paid with 20% (tax I presume) withheld...

...This is where it all goes 'pear-shaped' - Smart Dumb Investor don't seem to know how to reclaim the tax. I have had a complaint running on this with them for the past six months....

Finally! some progress on this. Apparently after seven months they have just learned how to reclaim tax.

I have had one tax payment reclaimed. Unfortunately it's only marked as 'Tax reclaim for period to 06-Sep-2017' so I have no idea which of the two PIDs paid before 6 September it refers to. A phone complaint has been made and they're looking into why only one of the two tax payments was reclaimed....

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 20th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Breelander wrote:...
Oh my giddy aunt. C.

Andy46
Lemon Pip

Postby Andy46 » December 26th, 2017, 6:08 pm

vagrantbrain wrote:
Andy46 wrote:
The thing is, I never had an issue previously remembering, so would question if indeed it is or not myself forgetting.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Thanks

I reached 6 PINs before my transfer out was completed. Had a recurring random issue where i'd be in the middle of doing something after logging in successfully only to be kicked out and told i'd entered my PIN wrong too many times and my account was now locked. Wait a week for the new PIN to arrive, rinse and repeat........

Absolute shambles of a company and i'm glad i'm completely free of them now.

Yeah i've had that issue too. Thank god its not just me, i was beginning to think i was really dim.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 30th, 2017, 12:06 pm

On a positive note, in the past my Barclays Stockbrokers account afforded me no advantage when trying to prove my identity etc. at Barclays. The other day I added myself as a third-party authority to my mum's Barclays current account and my Smart Investor account was used almost fully - only had to show my driving licence.

Chris

everhopeful

Postby everhopeful » January 2nd, 2018, 3:26 pm

I may be the last to find out but I have just discovered that Smart Investor will not allow the purchase of most Investment Trusts. I hold a dozen or so ITs in my portfolio which came across from the previous platform and of these I can now only buy two of them. Those no longer allowed include heavyweight trusts like Blackrock World Mining and Henderson Far East Income. No explanation could be given on the telephone. I had been pleased that some bonds and prefs were now eligible for on line purchase but enthusiasm has now been dashed.

Regdragon

Postby Regdragon » January 12th, 2018, 1:15 pm

I’ve transferred three accounts to Charles Stanley and, after about 9 weeks, all the shareholdings in each were transferred but the cash is still outstanding.It’s smallish amounts for two accounts but in the case of my SIPP, where the shares were transferred on or before 1 December, the outstanding cash is about £7500 which I obviously can’t re-invest. I’ve chased it and will try again today. Has anyone else had this experience? How long did it take to resolve?

Thanks

Regards

RD

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 12th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Regdragon wrote:I’ve transferred three accounts to Charles Stanley and, after about 9 weeks, all the shareholdings in each were transferred but the cash is still outstanding.It’s smallish amounts for two accounts but in the case of my SIPP, where the shares were transferred on or before 1 December, the outstanding cash is about £7500 which I obviously can’t re-invest. I’ve chased it and will try again today. Has anyone else had this experience? How long did it take to resolve?

Thanks

Regards

RD

Depends on the ex date and pay date, if a share goes ex before the transfer you'll have to wait until all shares have paid before they send the cash over. So check the ex and pay dates to see if there is a problem.

Alaric
Lemon Quarter

Postby Alaric » January 12th, 2018, 3:52 pm

everhopeful wrote:I may be the last to find out but I have just discovered that Smart Investor will not allow the purchase of most Investment Trusts.

It's a consequence of some new EU Regulations which don't seem to have been applied consistently amongst Brokers. You should still be allowed to buy ITs provided you tick that you've read a document called a KIID which contains various factual pieces of information alongside some rather useless projections of the IT's possible future value.

https://az768132.vo.msecnd.net/document ... 3.gzip.pdf

feder1
2 Lemon pips

Postby feder1 » January 18th, 2018, 11:52 am

More Bozo incompetence:

I logged in today after a few weeks holiday and inspected the Buy/Sell buttons against my various Investment Trusts.

All were OK EXCEPT for MRCH (Merchant Investment Trust) which only had a Sell button next to it?

I have owned this for ever and they have my National Insurance Number, so why the balls up?

Their Chat is too busy!

Alaric
Lemon Quarter

Postby Alaric » January 18th, 2018, 12:25 pm

feder1 wrote:All were OK EXCEPT for MRCH (Merchant Investment Trust) which only had a Sell button next to it?

I have owned this for ever and they have my National Insurance Number, so why the balls up?

They haven't obtained and added the KIID to their site for this IT perhaps?

It certainly exists
https://www.merchantstrust.co.uk/srp/li ... 1-2018.pdf

The manager is authorised by BaFin rather than the FCA. Perhaps that bothers them. The document also says that it was authorised for publication on 8th January 2018, so maybe Smart Investor hasn't caught up yet.

Hanoi

Postby Hanoi » January 18th, 2018, 5:00 pm

feder1 wrote:All were OK EXCEPT for MRCH (Merchant Investment Trust) which only had a Sell button next to it?

A number of IT KIDs are still missing in Dumb Investor. I have checked HSDL and they do have the KID for MRCH although you actually have to download it and then click on the box to say you've read it before you can buy.

Latest platform error I am chasing is that Dumb Investor is not using the maximum amount of divi cash for automatic reinvestment resulting in a residual amount of cash that could have bought a few more shares in a number of cases. No answer as to why this is happening yet but this is likely to affect a large number of clients who have automatic divi reinvestment set up. They are going to have to trawl through every reinvestment transaction since platform inception to sort it out.

keith

Postby keith » January 20th, 2018, 12:30 pm

I note that Regional Reit is also not tradable

Keith

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 4th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Oh my giddy Aunt! I have been added as a third party authority onto my mother's Barclays current account because she is 95 and now unable to sign cheques reliably. Co-incidentally(?) I can no longer log in to my online stockbroking account. I just get an error message and a request to call a number. When I do that I get a polite Indian that cannot help me because I cant supply him with a telephone PIN (or part thereof). I never had one as far as I know.

I am slipping again towards ditching Barclays in favour of another broker.

Regards,
Chris

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » February 5th, 2018, 9:28 am

Odd, I've never either been put through to an Indian, presumably in a Indian call centre or asked for a telephone PIN? Are you ringing 0800 279 3667 or 0141 352 3919 or is this some Bank number? If that's a real change that it makes Barclays Stockbrokers much less attractive. One of the positives has always been (other than during the Smart Investor transfer when you couldn't get through) was the quality of the people answering the phone.

However, part of your problem may be that in the documentation for the change over to Smart Investor one of the issues was that they do not any longer accept 3rd party online authorisations. Possible their system have fouled up over the change (not unknown!). My defunct 3rd party authorisations for my long deceased parents Barclays Bank accounts caused problems with the Smart Investor transfer - the Bank had and used a year's old postal address for me.

As far as 3rd party authorisations for online accounts goes, there is, of course an easy way round the problem!

Peter

IR35x

Postby IR35x » February 5th, 2018, 1:29 pm

I am a Barclays Stockbrokers customer and Barclays bank customer.
When I have called Smart Investor I have been asked for my telephone PIN. Needless to say I can't remember what it is as I last used it 10 years ago. They have always asked me some other security questions and all has been fine.

As an alternative if you use the Barclays Mobile Banking app you can call from within the APP. No security questions are asked as you have been through security with the APP login. I don't know if that gives you access to the Smart Investor helpline though and it probably will not give you access to your mother's account for which you have authority.

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”