Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Mobile phones

Making your money go further
chickenboy

Re: Mobile phones

Postby chickenboy » March 31st, 2017, 10:21 pm

I was very dubious about FreedomPop for mobile (many poor reviews from their US service), however I am currently sat in NZ, having ported my UK mobile number (which I have had for 20 years) to FP and I pay 99p per month (I paid extra for voicemail).

So in NZ (half the year) I can make and receive calls from my UK number for free (no FP sim in, I'm using VodaNZ SIM and their data). When back in the UK, it worked pretty well, voice quality wasn't always great but certainly good enough.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » April 2nd, 2017, 3:59 pm

chickenboy wrote:I was very dubious about FreedomPop for mobile (many poor reviews from their US service), however I am currently sat in NZ, having ported my UK mobile number (which I have had for 20 years) to FP and I pay 99p per month (I paid extra for voicemail).

So in NZ (half the year) I can make and receive calls from my UK number for free (no FP sim in, I'm using VodaNZ SIM and their data). When back in the UK, it worked pretty well, voice quality wasn't always great but certainly good enough.

I'm having difficulty understanding how this works.
Your UK number was tied to a UK network, and then you switched it to FP. So, you have a UK number registered to FP.
If calls are made via wifi, how does that differ from - for example - free WhatsApp wifi voice calls?

Does the FP method allow calling any UK number? I think that WhatsApp only allows calls to contacts from your address book: is FP more versatile in that respect?

chickenboy

Postby chickenboy » April 2nd, 2017, 6:04 pm

Yes my number is now ported to Fp. I can call UK mobile, landline and 0800 numbers with my inclusive Fp mins. (Not sure about 0845 etc). I can also receive calls to my mobile number from the UK. I think whatsapp only allows voip calls between contacts and cannot use telephone numbers at all. Skype on the otherhand can call out to UK numbers and you can buy a local UK number that people can call you on (but not a mobile number and more inclusive mins and I think it's a monthly fee)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 6th, 2017, 5:21 pm

chickenboy wrote:I was very dubious about FreedomPop for mobile (many poor reviews from their US service), however I am currently sat in NZ, having ported my UK mobile number (which I have had for 20 years) to FP and I pay 99p per month (I paid extra for voicemail).

That's 99p/month more than I pay for a service that's not tied to geography. And one that gives me cheap calls (recent comparison I saw showed 33p for a call that would cost £18 on BT standard charges, and over £60 on a mobile tarriff).

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » April 6th, 2017, 6:25 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

That's 99p/month more than I pay for a service that's not tied to geography. And one that gives me cheap calls (recent comparison I saw showed 33p for a call that would cost £18 on BT standard charges, and over £60 on a mobile tarriff).

There's a minor detail missing from your message - what network or provider is this?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 6th, 2017, 11:48 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:There's a minor detail missing from your message - what network or provider is this?

Such deals are widely available from VOIP providers, though not all provide a package that's free of monthly charges. Works with DECT phones around the house, or with regular landline phones through an adaptor, or with software on a mobile 'phone or 'puter. The one I use is Sipgate, which I can recommend if and only if you're tech-savvy enough to set it up without resorting to a support line (which they don't provide).

When travelling, you make your calls when you have a wifi connection and avoid roaming data charges. And note that incoming VOIP calls could mean roaming data: either postpone until you have wifi, or if it can't wait, switch to your mobile number. Though roaming data within the EU nowadays seems to be capped at £2/day, so it's not the potential disaster it once was.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 10th, 2018, 5:03 pm

AF62 wrote:
Also Three will give you a data sim that gives you 200MB free every month (https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order) without needing to put any credit on it.

It also works abroad in their "feel at home" countries for free. 200MB is not a lot, but works well for an old Android phone I use as a sat nav, and worked brilliantly in Spain last summer.

Just wanted to come back and say thanks very much for this heads-up, as I wasn't aware of this free Data-SIM offer, with a free 200MB allowance given every month.

I received my free SIM a few days ago, and have just completed the really painless registration process, so now have a good PLAN B alternative to my usual Data-SIM usage.

One of the best things about it is the need to only maintain usage of the Data Reward SIM once every six-months, which is great for a glove-compartment data back-up like this.

I've got it working well with my HUAWEI E5330 MiFi device, and receive good UK coverage -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-E5330-G ... B00INXBW3U

Thanks again for your earlier post highlighting this free THREE 200MB Data-SIM.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 12th, 2018, 4:47 pm

I suppose that's fine as long as your credit history etc would provide you with a 12 month interest free credit card. ??

Diddd

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » March 12th, 2018, 7:17 pm

It looks like they only got 4G a couple of weeks ago, so maybe that's why?

And....who wants the words 'Asda mobile' on their lock page!?

Well people like me who don't care what is on their lock page I suppose and who regard it as nobody's business but their own. My main phone is an iPhone (the second I've owned) and although I like it I think the cost of new iPhones is well OTT and I will be thinking seriously about different options next time around, it runs on Tesco Mobile with which I've been very satisfied in terms both of cost and coverage.

I do however praise Asda mobile which is still running on an ancient non-smart Nokia which is my glove box fall back for an emergency. A £10 top-up lasts forever, I think I have to make one call per three months or so to avoid losing the credit? Have to say too that the charge even given the very ancient nature of the Nokia (12 years old at least?) lasts if not forever then for ages. I do bring it in and re-charge it monthly or so and I'm always amazed by how much charge it has got left. I love my iPhone but you always have to be on top of charging it. If I left it in the glove compartment for three days turned off - I've never tried it and won't this is just speculation - I'd be truly amazed if it had any charge when switched back on.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » March 27th, 2018, 7:37 am

3 Mobile's 321 PAYG does not expire. 3p per minute, 2p per text and 1p per MB.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » March 28th, 2018, 10:32 pm

melonfool wrote:
And....who wants the words 'Asda mobile' on their lock page!?

Mel

==========

thats what it says on my lock screen .

i didnt realise it was a problem....

:roll:

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 28th, 2018, 10:37 pm

You could keep your phone in a pouch. Perhaps a Louis Vuitton one

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » March 28th, 2018, 10:43 pm

That was a bit snobby, wasn't it? Until a year or so ago I had 'Tesco mobile' on mine, but now I'm on Plusnet it only says it very small on the top left (though where it is might be a feature of the phone or OS rather than the provider I suppose).

I'm still very happy with Plusnet, now £6pm for 2gb, unlimited texts (of which I use about 20) and 500 mins of calls.

When I moved house and had no BB for two weeks, they let me buy bolt-ons I could use to tether the laptop (they knew I was doing this, they don't have any rules against it). As I was buying the BB through them too that was why they reduced my monthly mobile costs from £7.50 to £6.

Only downside is, they don't support short-text numbers. They say they are working towards it but it's starting to get annoying and I have asked them again recently how long until it is sorted.

Mel

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » March 29th, 2018, 1:24 am

melonfool wrote:I'm still very happy with Plusnet, now £6pm for 2gb, unlimited texts (of which I use about 20) and 500 mins of calls.

Carphone Warehouse under their iD brand are or were offering a very similar deal. They didn't offer unlimited texts but their package price was only £ 5.

Given that they were offering an acceptable Android phone (Nokia 3) Sim free for £ 99 at Christmas, buying Sim free seems the way to go assuming sufficient wealth to purchase the phone.

Thirty-five years ago, you would rent colour TVs and VHS recorders. Within a few years it made more sense to just buy them provided you could afford the capital outlay.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » March 29th, 2018, 9:17 am

After my first contract phone, I've always bought my own phones.

I currently have a OnePlus 2, which I love. It's just over two years old. I got it when they brought the 3 out so the 2 was half price.

I went to Tesco to try to buy a phone before I saw it, and they would not stop trying to sell me a contract deal, kept telling me the phone was 'free'. Even when I did the maths in front of her she couldn't see that her deal worked out [way] more - and that was with my £10 Tesco SIM!

So, in the end I bought online direct from OnePlus. It was about £200 I think.

I cannot fathom people spending upwards of £700 on something they carry in their pocket. And then wanting a new one every 12-18m. I only bother with new ones as the software gets outdated and annoying and some apps then don't work.

Mel

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » March 30th, 2018, 5:29 pm

melonfool wrote:
I cannot fathom people spending upwards of £700 on something they carry in their pocket.

Mel

=====================================

this "something in your pocket" usually offers these functions....hence replacing several items you may otherwise carry on your person .....

1. camera - still's and video's

2. timepiece

3. alarm clock

4. voice recorder

5. wifi internet

6. notebook

7. calculator

8. torch

9. music player - 1000's of songs / 100's of symphonies

10. radio

11. photo display

12. documents

.... and possibly more ...

................and of course its a 'phone .......

but i do agree however that all this can be had quite adequately for under £200.

:)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 30th, 2018, 6:21 pm

jackdaww wrote:1. camera - still's and video's
:)

But does it have a grocer's apostrophe checker? ;)

--kiloran

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » March 30th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Odd though it may seem jackdaww - I don't need you to tell me what a smart phone does.

Mel

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » March 31st, 2018, 9:00 am

melonfool wrote:Odd though it may seem jackdaww - I don't need you to tell me what a smart phone does.

Mel

=====================

of course.

i posted this for the entirely benign reason that it would inform many people who arent aware - as i wasnt not long ago , that a smartfone replaces many - possibly now redundant - gadgets.

;)

k333
2 Lemon pips

Postby k333 » April 6th, 2018, 5:25 pm

1. camera - still's and video's

2. timepiece

3. alarm clock

4. voice recorder

5. wifi internet

6. notebook

7. calculator

8. torch

9. music player - 1000's of songs / 100's of symphonies

10. radio

11. photo display

12. documents

.... and possibly more ...

i posted this for the entirely benign reason that it would inform many people who arent aware - as i wasnt not long ago , that a smartfone replaces many - possibly now redundant - gadgets.

But in virtually every case, the previous device does a better job, and often by a huge margin. Occasionally though, it does things that were not there before.
1. Camera is there all the time and video wasn't there, but I'd still use the old camera with a viewfinder for preference for photos.
2. Easier just to look at the clock or computer if I'm here (though I do use it for this).
3. Could be useful but the Big Ben is easier to set up if I ever needed it.
4. Haven't needed this function since I put the message on the answering machine all those years ago.
5. Extremely useful for when I'm not sitting here or when the computer packs up and going into a spare room to fire up the backup one (which takes forever) is not an attractive option.
6. Never used it for this. Need a proper keyboard.
7. Don't need one very often but it is usable for this twice a year.
8. Unusable for anything serious. Light probably 1000 times weaker than the real ones.
9. Sound quality so poor that I've hardly ever used it.
10. The same.
11. PC is so much better with the bigger screen.
12. Same or in many cases impossible.

So what I'm saying is that the smartphone enables me to do things and in places that I could never do before, but it doesn't actually replace anything that I can think of.

- K

Return to “Living Below Your Means”