Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Mods

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mods

Postby melonfool » May 13th, 2018, 6:34 pm

mc2fool wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:O/T but it involved a legal case and TMF were advised to remove the posts whilst the cases were ongoing, nothing to do with TMF, and you may not have been involved on the many threads. People only found posts were no longer there, when they were attempting to find the subject matter. Needless to say, many of the culprits went down. The posts were never reinstated.

Edit: I've found the email which included this extract from the SFO website There is an Order of the Court which states publication of any report of the proceedings/or part of the proceedings, namely The Trial of the defendants should not be reported. ...

:?: :!: :o :shock: Eh? "many of the culprits went down"?!? You mean TMF posters got sent to prison?! O/T or not, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is very intrigued and wants to hear more!

Noooo. The culprits the posters were talking about!

I think it was on the board where we talked about scams, and one of them was a bit bigger than was clear, and the posters had posted stuff that could be libel, but wasn't, in the end, as a court showed it was true - by finding them guilty and imposing a sentence.

But, while the case was going on, it could not be discussed and the posts that had discussed the scammers had to be taken down, just in case. But as PD has said, the trial could also not be reported.

Mel

(one of the reasons I tend to think TLF should not host such a board)

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 13th, 2018, 6:46 pm

mc2fool wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:O/T but it involved a legal case and TMF were advised to remove the posts whilst the cases were ongoing, nothing to do with TMF, and you may not have been involved on the many threads. People only found posts were no longer there, when they were attempting to find the subject matter. Needless to say, many of the culprits went down. The posts were never reinstated.

Edit: I've found the email which included this extract from the SFO website There is an Order of the Court which states publication of any report of the proceedings/or part of the proceedings, namely The Trial of the defendants should not be reported. ...

:?: :!: :o :shock: Eh? "many of the culprits went down"?!? You mean TMF posters got sent to prison?! O/T or not, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is very intrigued and wants to hear more!

I wondered if I’d left a tease in there. Culprits as in those involved in the court case, rather than the posters whose posts were deleted (not that I‘d know if some of those involved in the case had been posting).

If of interest, it involved Price Stone Group SL etc https://www.sfo.gov.uk/2014/06/04/nine- ... oom-fraud/

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 13th, 2018, 8:07 pm

mc2fool wrote:
dspp wrote:I will add to Mel's note the point that TMF Mods were paid staff.

Yes, and I rather suspect that because of that the TMF system would have been set up to make post deletions much quicker and easier than described here, along with sending the notifications TMF did automatically.

I don't know, but I'll bet that on clicking on a report (in a list of outstanding ones) it would have gone to a page showing the TMF Mod the report, the post/thread being reported, and two text fields for the mod to enter whatever they wanted to say to each of the poster and the reporter, and a set of buttons, Delete/Ignore/etc. And on clicking Delete the system just did it all: deleting the post and sending the emails with the mod's comments and original post/report to each party appropriately. At least, that's the way I'd design it :D

I'd have thought, given how long it's been around, that there must be a phpBB extension to similarly make moderation quicker and easier than described, and also (automatically) send out out notifications, surely? .....

That's precisely how I supposed TLF's BB software would be doing it. Evidently not...

GS

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » May 13th, 2018, 8:43 pm

GoSeigen wrote:That's precisely how I supposed TLF's BB software would be doing it. Evidently not...

GS

So, you thought we had a simple option to 'PM poster', and we all choose to say 'no' to this automated option?

OK, well, now you know - we don't, it is a separate step in the process which is tricky (if, like me, you open the user profile before you take action, it's not too bad, but if you don't, you have to remember the username and how to spell it to do the PM!) and doubles the time it takes.

Mel

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 13th, 2018, 10:23 pm

Just in case it's not clear, if we mods need to delete text (as opposed to deleting a post),we simply edit the post. There's no tool to record what we've deleted or why.

It might be a good idea to have one but I'm not sure it exists.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 13th, 2018, 10:48 pm

melonfool wrote:Noooo. The culprits the posters were talking about!
PinkDalek wrote:I wondered if I’d left a tease in there.

Thanks folks, very interesting! I didn't follow the "scams" board so missed out on that particular bit of excitement :D

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 14th, 2018, 10:11 am

dspp wrote:We definitely do not have an agenda in the way that some might (wrongly) think, and there most certainly is no direct carry-over amongst Mods from TMF to TLF.

I agree with the "no agenda" characterisation as well as the lack of carryover from TMF's moderation style. I always thought that TMF's moderation was rather literal in nature. So TMF would remove a post for, say, containing a swear word, even if that swear word was in quotes or was relevant, valid and added value in the particular context.

On the other hand there were 101 ways of insulting someone or acting mischievously on TMF that you could get away with as long as you were subtle about it and avoided technical transgressions of their rather rigid rules.

There were also ways of "playing" the TMF Mods which would not work here, which is refreshing.

My sense with moderation at TLF is that it is performed according to the spirit rather than the letter of the rules and, as a user, that makes a lot more sense to me, and causes less resentment and affront.

But not none, clearly . .

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » May 14th, 2018, 10:59 am

jackdaww wrote:i posted something along these lines on TMF some years ago .

""
One cannot post anything mildly critical of the "cult" without getting reported - anonymously - and inevitably deleted by the meekly aquiescent / over zealous moderators .

""
in those days , many of my posts were deleted .

with the advent of TLF things have been greatly improved as far as my posts are concerned .

i am sad to hear of any possible return to the agendas prevalent during TMF days

:(

===============================

when i referred to agendas early in this thread , it was not the moderators i had in mind - rather some posters who actively discourage any dissident HYP views .

they are possibly still with us .

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 14th, 2018, 1:55 pm

jackdaww wrote:

""
One cannot post anything mildly critical of the "cult" without getting reported - anonymously - and inevitably deleted by the meekly aquiescent / over zealous moderators .

""
in those days , many of my posts were deleted .

when i referred to agendas early in this thread , it was not the moderators i had in mind - rather some posters who actively discourage any dissident HYP views .

In the TMF days I always thought the investment boards were largely immune from the over-reporting and over-moderating of posts. It always seemed to me that the bulk of moderation activity was either (understandably) on the "emotive" boards like politics, religion and football. Or, less understandably, the "help" boards.

But there were two exceptions to that which I noticed (and bearing in mind I never visited most boards). One was the board that claimed to expose dishonest and fraudulent brokers, which others have mentioned here, and which does not exist on TLF. And the other was HYP.

I think part of the reason is that HYP is rather religious in nature, perhaps because it is more of a home-brewed methodology than an industry-standard one. As such, it requires one to "believe" in it rather than simply check the performance history of more mainstream methodologies or read the standard writings on investment.

And it is that quasi-religious idea of needing to have faith that perhaps leads to the notions of cults and zealotry that you allude to.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 14th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Lootman wrote:But there were two exceptions to that which I noticed (and bearing in mind I never visited most boards). One was the board that claimed to expose dishonest and fraudulent brokers, which others have mentioned here, and which does not exist on TLF. And the other was HYP.

I think part of the reason is that HYP is rather religious in nature, perhaps because it is more of a home-brewed methodology than an industry-standard one. As such, it requires one to "believe" in it rather than simply check the performance history of more mainstream methodologies or read the standard writings on investment.

And it is that quasi-religious idea of needing to have faith that perhaps leads to the notions of cults and zealotry that you allude to.

You must be referring to the Gospel according to PYAD.

Some of us prefer the Apocrypha, perhaps also the Church of the Latter Day Investors.

TJH

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » May 14th, 2018, 6:44 pm

Lootman wrote:
jackdaww wrote:

""

when i referred to agendas early in this thread , it was not the moderators i had in mind - rather some posters who actively discourage any dissident HYP views [/b].

In the TMF days I always thought the investment boards were largely immune from the over-reporting and over-moderating of posts. It always seemed to me that the bulk of moderation activity was either (understandably) on the "emotive" boards like politics, religion and football. Or, less understandably, the "help" boards.

But there were two exceptions to that which I noticed (and bearing in mind I never visited most boards). One was the board that claimed to expose dishonest and fraudulent brokers, which others have mentioned here, and which does not exist on TLF. And the other was HYP.

Agendas, dissidents, quasi-religious cults and zealotry! Really? Is this a thread about Game of Thrones? :lol:

Forgive me, but from where I'm sitting it all looks far less melodramatic. There's a board explicitly dedicated to the discussion of the practical issues of running a fairly well defined investment method. If someone posts a disparaging or off-topic post there, like on any other board, they risk having that post reported and deleted. Isn't this the way it's supposed to be? I don't give much credence to technical analysis, but I have never felt the need to barge in with my TA "dissident" views! If for some strange reason I did, the only "agenda" that I could imagine if my efforts were deleted would be that the users, quite reasonably, prefer to discuss their subject of interest without unwarranted interference.

I think perhaps some of us need to get out more...

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 14th, 2018, 7:07 pm

jackdaww wrote:when i referred to agendas early in this thread , it was not the moderators i had in mind - rather some posters who actively discourage any dissident HYP views .

they are possibly still with us .

And equally, there are possibly still posters with us who seem unable to understand the simple fact that the HYP Practical board is not the place for such views about HYPs - any more than say a cricket club is the place for anti-cricket views. Nor is it the place for the dishonest tactic of purporting to be talking about HYPs but actually talking about a very different type of strategy than the type the board was set up for and that its guidance says it is for.

That doesn't mean that such views cannot be aired; it does mean that they should be aired somewhere else - and TLF (like TMF before them) has provided a suitable place: the High Yield Shares & Strategies board. If HYPers want to come and engage with discussions there about those views, fine - and it's just as OK for them to express their views strongly as it is for those with the 'dissident HYP views' to express them strongly. If HYPers don't want to do that, also fine - it's both unreasonable and completely futile to try to force people to take part in debates they don't want to take part in. What isn't fine is attempts either to make such discussions happen on the HYP Practical board or to prevent them from happening on the High Yield Shares & Strategies board.

The theory expressed in the first few months after TLF was set up was that the moderators would sort such problems out, by moving off-topic material to another board when necessary. One thing this discussion has highlighted is that the TLF software facilities for moderators can be distinctly cumbersome, even for apparently simple jobs. And properly sorting out a HYP Practical thread in which someone has replied to present some 'dissident HYP views' is clearly not a simple job if some time elapses before a moderator can intervene and a good number of further replies have been posted, some about those views and some about the original subject of the thread: ideally, it involves sorting the thread's posts out into ones to be left where they are and ones to be moved to a new thread on the right board - and possibly even having to duplicate posts and prune each of the copies down if they've responded both to the original subject and to the 'dissident HYP views'. I think I've only seen that sort of proper sorting-out done once, over a year ago, and given the shortage of moderator time, I'm not surprised that I haven't seen it since! What tends to happen instead is moderator appeals to stay on-topic, maybe a post or two being deleted or edited, and ultimately threads being locked.

That theory does work in simple cases - when a thread is started on the wrong board, a moderator can move it to the right board relatively easily (though I suspect from this thread that's still quite a bit more trouble than it appears to be. Equally, if an off-topic reply is reported early and a moderator happens to deal with the report early, it can be dealt with relatively easily (with the same caveat!) by moving it out into a new thread on the correct board - though it's some time since I last remember seeing that done, so it may have fallen into disfavour with the moderators. So I'm not saying that the moderators' ability to move posts between threads is useless - quite the contrary. But it's not a cure-all, and things would go a lot more smoothly for both moderators and ordinary users if posters took care to post 'HYP dissident views' on the High Yield Shares & Strategies board.

Gengulphus

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » May 14th, 2018, 8:28 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
You must be referring to the Gospel according to PYAD.

Some of us prefer the Apocrypha, perhaps also the Church of the Latter Day Investors.

Splitter!

Mel

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 15th, 2018, 9:11 am

CryptoPlankton wrote:Agendas, dissidents, quasi-religious cults and zealotry! Really? Is this a thread about Game of Thrones? :lol:

Forgive me, but from where I'm sitting it all looks far less melodramatic. There's a board explicitly dedicated to the discussion of the practical issues of running a fairly well defined investment method. If someone posts a disparaging or off-topic post there, like on any other board, they risk having that post reported and deleted. Isn't this the way it's supposed to be? I don't give much credence to technical analysis, but I have never felt the need to barge in with my TA "dissident" views! If for some strange reason I did, the only "agenda" that I could imagine if my efforts were deleted would be that the users, quite reasonably, prefer to discuss their subject of interest without unwarranted interference.

I think the issue is that HYP isn't so "well defined" that there is universal agreement on how it works, whether it works and how it can be improved. As such a discussion that starts "on topic" may deviate from that and, in many cases that is an interesting, informative and valid excursion. If the contributors are then criticised for apostasy or some such then, to me anyway, that is less interesting than the diversion.

But my original question was really more about why this happens on the HYP board but not the other investment boards. And the idea that HYP is cult-like or religious in nature is hardly a new one - it was regularly suggested on TMF before the great migration.

Gengulphus wrote: If HYPers want to come and engage with discussions there about those views, fine - and it's just as OK for them to express their views strongly as it is for those with the 'dissident HYP views' to express them strongly. If HYPers don't want to do that, also fine - it's both unreasonable and completely futile to try to force people to take part in debates they don't want to take part in. What isn't fine is attempts either to make such discussions happen on the HYP Practical board or to prevent them from happening on the High Yield Shares & Strategies board.

I agree that it is "both unreasonable and completely futile to try to force people to take part in debates they don't want to take part in." But then that is not possible anyway. Nobody can force you or I to engage in any topic. We both prove that every day by not reading or contributing to 99% of TLF topics!

That skill may vary by individual, however. I have no particular problem with tangents if they are interesting. A moderator who splits or moves such a topic isn't helping me at all as I can mentally follow such variations. I am much more concerned with the quality of the discussion than the more technical question of whether it has branched away from the original topic.

But all that said, I'd still like to understand why HYP is disproportionately affected in this regard. In my view it may be confusing to Lemons that there are two boards for HYP. How many times do we hear "this topic should be on the other board/no it shouldn't" conversations? They really add nothing at all of value from my perspective and we don't do that for other topics, which again raises the question "why only HYP?".

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 15th, 2018, 9:31 am

Lootman wrote:I agree that it is "both unreasonable and completely futile to try to force people to take part in debates they don't want to take part in." But then that is not possible anyway. Nobody can force you or I to engage in any topic. We both prove that every day by not reading or contributing to 99% of TLF topics!

Indeed, but I think you're saying pretty much the same thing as me in different words there. It is possible to try to force people to engage in a topic, but it's completely unreasonable and completely futile to try that precisely because it isn't possible to force them to engage in it.

Gengulphus

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » May 15th, 2018, 9:43 am

Lootman - in the hallowed words of QI "NOBODY KNOWS" and, quite frankly it doesn't matter.

Actually I think we see very few posts about things being better on the other board these days.

This thread wasn't started about something that was on the wrong board anyway.

If HYP is a small corner for a group of (generally) like-minded people to discuss a particular share strategy they all subscribe to - so be it.

If people want to discuss whether that strategy works, compare it to other strategies, propose other strategies, then there are other boards that can done on.

There's really no value in keep navel gazing over it.

Mel

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » May 15th, 2018, 11:46 am

melonfool wrote:Lootman - in the hallowed words of QI "NOBODY KNOWS" and, quite frankly it doesn't matter.

Mel

=============================

to be equally frank - it does matter.

some people have lost some big chunks of their wealth having bought into the HYP idea without looking at the "other" board which may show red flags - why would they with the seductive cosy consensus prevalent on the HYP practical board .

as in TMF days , the attitude "its OUR board , go and play somewhere else" is still very much with us .

:x

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 15th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
Lootman wrote:I agree that it is "both unreasonable and completely futile to try to force people to take part in debates they don't want to take part in." But then that is not possible anyway. Nobody can force you or I to engage in any topic. We both prove that every day by not reading or contributing to 99% of TLF topics!

Indeed, but I think you're saying pretty much the same thing as me in different words there. It is possible to try to force people to engage in a topic, but it's completely unreasonable and completely futile to try that precisely because it isn't possible to force them to engage in it.

Fair enough. I guess I don't see anyone here even trying to force me to engage. If someone introduces a topic then it is an invitation. Likewise if someone veers off topic that too is just an invitation. Perhaps I decline that invitation. Or perhaps I find the tangent more interesting than the original topic, and engage. But either way I do not feel any attempt to compel me.

What I see happen on the HY boards is that a topic may start out "practical" then veer into "strategies" and then veer back again. Is that a problem? It might be a problem only because there are two HY boards in the first place, the distinction between them causing more "off topic" comments than would be the case with a single, broader board.

And another problem with that is that if I don't want to miss a HY topic that might interest me, I have to look in two places instead of one.

So the question to me is whether the HY boards cause more problems than other investment boards because there are two of them? Or because of the alleged "cultish" nature of HYP? Or because of some other factor that has escaped me entirely? Mel says it doesn't matter and perhaps she is right. But if people like Dod, Jack and others are upset then I'd say it matters at least to that extent. Whereas for me it's more a matter of curiosity.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » May 15th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Lootman:

Two boards:

There is a HYP Practical board. As has been noted this is a faith-based pseudo mechanistic approach, is fairly narrowly defined (though definition is not as consistent as we would like from an ease-of-moderation perspective), and Mods therefore keep it fairly close to the script. The HYP faithful are entirely correct in requesting that only stuff within the HYP definition is posted here, and we respect that.

There is also a High Yield General board. Note it does not have HYP in the title, this is deliberate. Any wider discussions related to high yield equity is welcome here. No faith is required. Dissection of results and etc are perfectly allowable, provided polite and relevant to the topic. The HYP faithful have no special control over what is said on this board, and you are entirely at liberty to question any & all HYP (or any other high yield) tenets on this board.

We do our best to keep them separate for good reasons as I hope this explains.

regards, dspp

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 15th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Lootman wrote:But all that said, I'd still like to understand why HYP is disproportionately affected in this regard. In my view it may be confusing to Lemons that there are two boards for HYP. ...

I don't think there's anything inherently confusing about the difference between two boards. But there are quite a lot of posters who appear to have baggage from the past, often from quite long ago, and I think there's also quite a large "confusion breeds confusion" effect: because many users seem to be confused about which is the right board, they frequently post to the wrong board, and because posters frequently post to the wrong board, users don't get a clear picture of what the board distinction is supposed to be from what they see in practice. A clearer picture is available from the board guidance, but many users don't seem to bother checking what that says, and so end up confused about the distinction.

As an example of the baggage from the past, "strategic ignorance" has not been part of either TMF or TLF guidance about whether a strategy is a HYP strategy ever since the 2008 TMF board split, yet many still seem to believe that if a strategy doesn't use "strategic ignorance", it's not a proper HYP strategy, and post accordingly...

They even include a moderator, judging by one recent moderator note, though I'll take that with a pinch of salt until/unless it is confirmed in updated guidance or by sufficient further moderator/site admin comments. In particular, I do not think it a good idea to make the use of "strategic ignorance" part of the requirements to be a HYP strategy. My reasons for that belief include that there seems to be widespread confusion about what it means (basically, deliberately ignoring all views about a company's long-term future, including one's own), judging by the number of times people use it about things that have nothing to do with such views, and that it appears to be used far too often as a 'religious' term - both by pro-HYP zealots as saying particular worries about a company must be dismissed or else you're not running a HYP and by anti-HYP crusaders as a stick to attack HYP strategies with...

Of course, if the moderators/site admins want it to become part of the board distinction, it will. But I think it's a bad idea, and if they nevertheless decide to do it, users really ought to be told so by a more reliable means than (AFAIAA) a single moderator note quite a long way into a single thread that people might or might not be reading!

Lootman wrote:... How many times do we hear "this topic should be on the other board/no it shouldn't" conversations? They really add nothing at all of value from my perspective and we don't do that for other topics, which again raises the question "why only HYP?".

Very largely agreed - as a general rule, I would regard "you shouldn't have posted that here!" posts as completely unnecessary and often disruptive noise. It's almost always better to either put up with a post one regards as off-topic or report it and let the moderators handle the situation as early as possible. I do regard reporting it as a perfectly OK course of action when I'm interested in the original subject of the thread and the off-topic stuff looks like drowning it out - and the more 'form' the off-topic stuff has for becoming that major, the earlier I'll decide it looks like that (this is of course a judgement call on my part, and I almost certainly get that judgement wrong from time to time - but there is the safeguard that a moderator judgement call has to agree with mine before anything can happen as a result of my report).

There are however at least a couple of awkward cases:

* Posts steering a newcomer towards a more suitable board that they might well not be aware of. It's just about impossible to do that in a way that doesn't have possible "you shouldn't have posted that here!" implications for someone looking for them...

* Replying to a post that could be followed up in either an on-topic way or an off-topic way, when one is very interested in the former and doesn't have anything one wants to say on the board about the latter. If one doesn't say anything at all about the latter, all too often one gets accused of missing the point - but it's just about impossible to say that one has seen that possible point but is declining to reply to it without possible "you shouldn't have posted that here!" implications for someone looking for them...

With regard to the "why only HYP?" question, I doubt that it is only HYP. But yes, it does happen disproportionately often for HYP, and I suspect the reason is basically historical: because there have been many such conflicts in the past, they're a sore point for a lot of users and so they're more likely to see "you shouldn't have posted that here!" implications and react to them. And the ensuing arguments are of course further conflicts, that add to it being a sore point... I.e. I suspect there's a "conflict breeds conflict" loop here.

And I suspect ordinary users are stuck with that loop - while individuals might recognise its existence and refuse to feed it, I don't see any signs that enough are doing so to break the loop. The moderators could do something about it in principle, with sufficiently firm action against posts that say "you shouldn't have posted that here!" fairly explicitly and against posts that argue against "you shouldn't have posted that here!" messages (whether those messages are explicit or merely possible implications). But to be sufficiently firm, such action must at the very least ensure that whoever posted the offending posts knows that the action has been taken. As the current system doesn't even do that (witness the various things said in this thread about moderators sending PMs), it seems very doubtful to me that the moderators are going to break the loop either. :-(

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”