Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Windows 10 update stuck?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
ivahunch
2 Lemon pips

Windows 10 update stuck?

Postby ivahunch » May 25th, 2018, 10:41 am

Our desktop PC has been installing the last Win10 update for the last 18 hours and just shows the Windows logo on a black screen.
DAK is this ok and how long should it take. Or is it stuck and what should I do?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windows 10 update stuck?

Postby Watis » May 25th, 2018, 11:02 am

ivahunch wrote:Our desktop PC has been installing the last Win10 update for the last 18 hours and just shows the Windows logo on a black screen.
DAK is this ok and how long should it take. Or is it stuck and what should I do?

There is a known issue with the April 2018 update leaving users with a black screen, although you say you have a Windows logo.

What happens if you press the Return key?

There's a solution described on this Microsoft page which may assist but please DYOR before applying the proposed solution.

Watis

ivahunch
2 Lemon pips

Postby ivahunch » May 25th, 2018, 11:08 am

What happens if you press the Return key?

I restarted the PC a couple of times before your reply and logged into Windows and now it has a blue screen saying "just a moment"

ivahunch
2 Lemon pips

Postby ivahunch » May 25th, 2018, 1:13 pm

I have now recovered Windows 10 but the "Feature update 1803" has failed to install again
DAK why and what to do?

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » May 25th, 2018, 8:38 pm

You need to see why the update failed.
Using File Explorer visit:
C:\Windows.old\$Windows.~BT>Sources>Rollback
or
C:\Windows\Panther
and look at setupact.log and setuperr.log. These may be in either folder or just one of them

You may be barred from viewing them even with an account with admin privilege, so copy them somewhere and then view them.
They will be lengthy and techy, so go to the end of each and look for error messages just before the system decides to give up and roll back to V1709.
Very often the cause is a kernel-mode driver that cannot be found to copy over to V1803.

You may get caught in the well-known update 'cycle of death' where as soon as the upgrade has failed and regressed to the previous version, Windows Update starts again to download the update and this cannot always be blocked, and if you are running Windows Home they definitely cannot be (by design!).
If so, you need to use the global policy editor GPEDIT to change the update mechanism settings. GPEDIT (the GPEedit snap-in for the Windows management console) is already installed but deliberately hidden in Windows Home but can be enabled using the command line; but the easiest way is to get gpedit-enabler.bat (just a short batch file) from http://www.itechtics.com. Run the batch file using mouse right-click and Run as Administrator.

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » June 13th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Excuse me for hijacking this tread, but I had a similar problem.
Windows Feature update 1803 failed to install (ie download and install) twice over the last few weeks. Today I manually checked Windows Update, waited a while then gave up. I restarted the PC. It took a lot longer to boot up than usual, but then showed that three updates were available, 1803, KB890830 and Intel-net and preparing to download 1803 had already started (about 30%) so it probably had started before I rebooted but didn't tell me.

After 45 mins all three showed "awaiting install". I clicked to install at 9.01am but it took until 12.14pm. KB 890830 had been done but Intel-net still showed as awaiting install. Restart was required with "will restart several times". 12.54pm restart completed but Intel-net no longer showing in Windows Update. Adobe Flash for Windows 1803 showed as installed but I had never had a prompt to do it.

When I look at Windows Update history it only shows Windows 1803 and Adobe Flash updates, so what happened to Intel-net? Older versions of Windows showed all previous updates but W10 only shows the most recent. Is it possible to see all previous updates?

Why do Windows Updates take so long? Will it always be like this where you can't use the PC during the install period?

Windows Update seems to mislead viewers on several counts.

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » June 13th, 2018, 5:45 pm

My 1803 failed this morning but rolled back successfully. Looks like my PC is waiting a reboot to try again. For now, I'm leaving it be to see if it can sort itself out.

DAK if failed updates feedback to Microsoft with reporting so that if enough similar fails happen, Microsoft can look into the cause? It would be nice if it did, but my expectations are low. In a similar vein I wonder if MS can issue a fix (if it found one) for a failed update that can bypass the queue so that it can be installed before another attempt is made at the update.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 13th, 2018, 5:56 pm

AndyPandy wrote:... I wonder if MS can issue a fix (if it found one) for a failed update that can bypass the queue so that it can be installed before another attempt is made at the update.

Windows Update isn't the only way to get and install updates. They can also be downloaded as a standalone installer from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

Type this failed updates' KB number in the search box, make sure you download the correct type for your system, x86 or x64 (32-bit/64-bit).

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 15th, 2018, 10:25 am

Re Breelander's reply, you can go direct to the Win 10 1803 Download site here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /windows10
Then select the second option ('Create Windows 10 installation media') and its second option ('Using the tool...'). When you have created an ISO version of 1803 and boot it, you will get the option to retain your existing data and (where possible) programs.
But before you do anything, either create a full backup (system image) of your present Win 10 or, better, install 1803 on a new disk. New disks are relatively cheap (need the opportunity to get a larger one? this is the chance!) and it always good to have a spare.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 15th, 2018, 3:49 pm

stewamax wrote:When you have created an ISO version of 1803 and boot it, you will get the option to retain your existing data and (where possible) programs...

Not quite. If you boot from the ISO you cannot retain installed programs, only user files.

To retain installed programs as well you have to mount the ISO from within the existing Windows then run the Setup.exe you'll find on the root of the ISO. This performs an upgrade rather than an install, reinstalling Windows AND allowing the option to keep existing installed programs.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 16th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Computer Which still rubbishes Windows 10.
I'm very glad I stayed with W7.

If you can switch back, you can rediscover a sea of tranquility.

V8

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 16th, 2018, 11:39 pm

88V8 wrote:Computer Which still rubbishes Windows 10.
I'm very glad I stayed with W7

I use both, daily. On the whole, I prefer 10 to 7.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 17th, 2018, 11:09 am

Thanks Breelander - I was sloppy in saying (where possible) programs. As you clarify, it all depends on where you boot from.
I have done several of both in the Great Progression from 1507 =>1803, and the great advantage of doing a bare-metal boot ('create' rather than 'update') is that it discards all the crud that builds up. In particular, it bypasses my particular bete noire of drivers that an 'update' installation would look for via the registry, fail to find, and not be able to locate another in MSFT's signed driver store; this can cause an update installation to say 'Whoops' and immediately roll back.

And I too prefer Win 10 to Win 7, although Win 10 Mail - as a putative replacement for Win 7's Windows Live Mail - is so functionally weak (particularly in its support of IMAP and non-MSFT mail services) that it has become a bit of an industry joke.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 18th, 2018, 10:55 am

stewamax wrote:...I have done several of both in the Great Progression from 1507 =>1803...

Love that turn of phrase: 'the Great Progression'. :)
Mine was OEM Win7 > 1507 then the Great Progression 1507 => 1803.

...although Win 10 Mail - as a putative replacement for Win 7's Windows Live Mail - is so functionally weak (particularly in its support of IMAP and non-MSFT mail services) that it has become a bit of an industry joke.

Although way past its End of Support and long since deleted from Microsoft's servers, Windows Essentials 2012 can still be installed on Windows 10. I value it for Movie Maker, but apparently Mail can be made to work too. The offline installer wlsetup-all.exe can be downloaded from the Internet Archive Wayback Machine's archived copy of Microsoft's (now removed) pages.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161119234 ... nload-now/

Note that the installer may say the install failed, but if you check you'll find it has actually succeeded.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 18th, 2018, 4:09 pm

Yes indeed - Windows Live Mail (WLM) appears to run under Win 10 as well as it did under Win 7.
Downloading from the Windows Essentials page was turned off by MSFT in January.

The snag for MSFT with WLM was that in many ways a bit too good; for Mail, Calendar and Contacts (when connected to an outlook.com backend) it did much of what chargeable desktop Outlook did, with the restriction that it could only open one Hotmail/Live/outlook.com account at once.
MSFT effectively killed it off in June 2016 by removing support in outlook.com for the Deltasync protocol it used. Its replacement - Windows Mail - only works 'properly'* with outlook.com (using EAS protocol) and with O365 (using MAPI over HTTP) - both Exchange Server based.

Having said that, it was IMO the right thing for MSFT to do as it rationalised all backend services on a (fairly) standard Exchange Server backend. It also made it transparently clear that the combination of desktop Outlook and O365 was the only game in town for serious mail users; Gmail for Business has a lot of catching up to do and even then only offers EAS for calendar and contacts synching with Outlook.

- a relative term! it is still very weak functionally

alonzo

Postby alonzo » June 18th, 2018, 7:54 pm

same issue here. very frustrating...

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”