Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Poppy

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Slarti
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2063
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Has thanked: 317 times
Been thanked: 265 times

Poppy

#145461

Postby Slarti » June 13th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Image

Is this normal?

The colour is, but I've never seen such a complex one.


Slarti

OK, 2nd try

That didn't work either. The page I loaded the image at is https://imgur.com/a/0B9NZR8
Then if I take the code from the image I get https://imgur.com/EfhFp09
Both just give me Image as a result. Help?

Finally!

maximan
Lemon Pip
Posts: 72
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:41 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Poppy

#145463

Postby maximan » June 13th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Hi Slarti

I believe they are called doubles. I have not got any myself but have seen many in National Trust Gardens.
Hope your not harvesting them for heroin lol. :D

Breelander
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1916
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:42 pm
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 398 times

Re: Poppy

#145473

Postby Breelander » June 13th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Slarti wrote:Is this normal?
The colour is, but I've never seen such a complex one.


Doubles of papaver somniferum like this are less common, but not unusual. They call them 'Peaony poppies'. I've grown a pink one in the past. Here are a whole range of colours and shapes...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=121 ... 1Nw-pAO0ds

Here's a white one...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Semi-di-P ... 2007240959
Last edited by Breelander on June 13th, 2018, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2529
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 504 times

Re: Poppy

#145474

Postby PinkDalek » June 13th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Also known as Poppy Peony (papaver paeoniflorum):

https://www.australianseed.com/shop/ite ... double-mix

New one on me though, thanks.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2063
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Has thanked: 317 times
Been thanked: 265 times

Re: Poppy

#145491

Postby Slarti » June 13th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Breelander wrote:Doubles of papaver somniferum like this are less common, but not unusual. They call them 'Peaony poppies'. I've grown a pink one in the past.


Can't claim any credit for them as they are self seeded.

We used to have a good display on the other side of the garden, for years, then last year they didn't show, now this year they are popping up all over the place in both red and pink (lilac?) but about 30-40 feet away from where they were before.

And they are much, much taller. Old ones were only 3-4 foot tall, these are at least 4' with most about 5' and one over 6'

Amazing what nature can do if you clear the weeds :lol:

Slarti

Breelander
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1916
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:42 pm
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 398 times

Re: Poppy

#145498

Postby Breelander » June 13th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Slarti wrote:this year they are popping up all over the place in both red and pink (lilac?) but about 30-40 feet away from where they were before.
And they are much, much taller. Old ones were only 3-4 foot tall, these are at least 4' with most about 5' and one over 6'

These poppies hybridize freely. What you get from seed may not be the same as the parent.

Like the wild poppy, the seed can remain dormant for up to 100 years, only springing to life when the conditions are right - and for a poppy that's usually a patch of recently disturbed bare ground, which is apparently just what you gave them...

Amazing what nature can do if you clear the weeds :lol:

Nimrod103
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1368
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:10 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: Poppy

#145601

Postby Nimrod103 » June 14th, 2018, 1:22 pm

It is interesting that many experts regard such complex specially bred double flowers as poor sources of food for bees and other insects, and therefore should be discouraged. Yet this one seems to have arisen by normal pollination processes.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2063
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Has thanked: 317 times
Been thanked: 265 times

Re: Poppy

#145661

Postby Slarti » June 14th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:It is interesting that many experts regard such complex specially bred double flowers as poor sources of food for bees and other insects, and therefore should be discouraged. Yet this one seems to have arisen by normal pollination processes.


I mentioned my last post to Mrs S and she told me that she had collected seeds from the original poppies a couple of years back and, after I had weeded, scattered them in the area where the surprise poppies appeared. But hadn't told me :shock:

The real surprises, I am reliably informed, are the Love in the Mist and Foxgloves in that area.


Don't ask me, I know nothing :(

Slarti

Breelander
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1916
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:42 pm
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 398 times

Re: Poppy

#145665

Postby Breelander » June 14th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Slarti wrote:The real surprises, I am reliably informed, are the Love in the Mist and Foxgloves in that area.


Foxgloves are another with a very long life for their seeds. They are a woodland plant and the seeds lie dormant for many years, awaiting a tree to fall and let the light in. Then they grow and set seed, to wait for the next opportunity.


Return to “The Natural World”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests