Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 12th, 2018, 3:30 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:..

(The pub in question is one where my usual would be the very local Jail Ale).

Dartmoor? I used to drink around those parts, when I lived in Plymouth
Dartmoor Inn (Merrivale one), Who'd have Thought it -Milton Combe, Royal Oak at Meavy, Rock at Yelverton, possibly the Devil's Elbow Princetown (found an old photo of me outside..)

https://goo.gl/maps/FHLtEKxSscp That brings back memories - look at the summer weather!!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 12th, 2018, 3:49 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:..

Dartmoor? I used to drink around those parts, when I lived in Plymouth
Dartmoor Inn (Merrivale one), Who'd have Thought it -Milton Combe, Royal Oak at Meavy, Rock at Yelverton, possibly the Devil's Elbow Princetown

Yep, that's my stomping-ground (and the pub in question was indeed the Rock).

Of those pubs, the only one I really think fondly of is the Royal Oak (though I've also heard that the Whodathunkit (sorry) may be worth revisiting). The only reason to go in the Rock is when one has half an hour to wait between the end of one thing and the start of another. There are quite a few other pubs - some of them really nice - serving Jail Ale: for example, the Peter Tavy or the Eddystone are always a huge pleasure.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 12th, 2018, 4:05 pm

This was (oh dear) 30 years ago... suspect there have been a few changes.
I remember the Who'd have Thought It as a very cosy multi-roomed old place.
(My favourite pub location down there was The Pilchard on Burgh Island, but looking at recent reviews it seems they seem to be trying to put off 'tourists' )

rabbit
Lemon Pip

Postby rabbit » June 12th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Sadly I don't recollect the name of the rather pleasant brew I drank last night. 'twas a lager (which seemed right for the heat, in the absence of a wheat beer option), but one from a local brewery, whose good ales I've enjoyed a few times.

Korev, perhaps? A rather good lager from St Austell Brewery.
Last edited by rabbit on June 12th, 2018, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabbit
Lemon Pip

Postby rabbit » June 12th, 2018, 9:53 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote: Sadly I don't recollect the name of the rather pleasant brew I drank last night. 'twas a lager (which seemed right for the heat, in the absence of a wheat beer option), but one from a local brewery, whose good ales I've enjoyed a few times.

Korev, perhaps? A rather good lager from St Austell Brewery.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 12th, 2018, 11:21 pm

rabbit wrote:Korev, perhaps? A rather good lager from St Austell Brewery.

Nope. Korev I know, and would've remembered.

This one was its counterpart from a smaller brewery. OK, you've provoked me into looking it up: https://www.baysbrewery.co.uk/Bays-Bant ... raft-Lager

rabbit
Lemon Pip

Postby rabbit » June 13th, 2018, 6:02 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
rabbit wrote:Korev, perhaps? A rather good lager from St Austell Brewery.

Nope. Korev I know, and would've remembered.

This one was its counterpart from a smaller brewery. OK, you've provoked me into looking it up: https://www.baysbrewery.co.uk/Bays-Bant ... raft-Lager

Aha! I've had their beer in the past, but haven't come across the lager. I must seek it out!

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 22nd, 2018, 12:51 pm

As can be deduced from my posts today, it is Friday and I am allowed to have beer and eat food. Lasagna today, barbecue on Saturday and Sunday. After my Friday run I had Budvar (morrisons ran out of Pilsner Uruquell), now I having Ilkley's Pale. Euphoria.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » June 22nd, 2018, 3:50 pm

Monday my last bottle of Farnham White by Hogs Back Brewery. A bottle. And much more palatable than some of the football that was accompanying it.

Wednesday had a so-so pint of Ranmore from the Surrey Hills Brewery. Tasted a bit sour to me. It was pretty lively coming out the pipe but I don't know whether that was the barmaid's "technique" of not tipping the glass and then knocking the froth off the top and topping up to get a proper measure or whether it was near the start or end of the barrel. Seemed clear enough, and I'm sure I've had it before and better. Nice to sit outside a proper country pub and feed the mosquitos though.

Last night a pint of Punter from Upham Brewery. That was pretty good.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 23rd, 2018, 10:19 am

I'm not what you'd call a beer traveller, but I was pleasantly surprised the other week by a pint of Sussex Best Bitter (Harveys) from a distinctly unpromising-looking pub in Sandhurst. (I was wrong on both counts - the £10 steak and Guinness pie from the New Swan was properly gorgeous.) A very uncomplicated beer, no gimmicks, just a really good jar. I wished I'd left the car behind, because I could have spent the evening on that one.

A pity, then, that we chose the somewhat more expensive Queens in Hawkhurst for the next evening. Nothing at the bar except three lagers, one American pale ale (which I invariably find too sweet), and the most uninspiring Doom Bar I've ever drunk anywhere. It rather put me in mind of the mild ales they used to drink in Birmingham in the 1970s. Of which the least said the better. :lol:

BJ

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 23rd, 2018, 12:25 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I'm not what you'd call a beer traveller, but I was pleasantly surprised the other week by a pint of Sussex Best Bitter (Harveys) from a distinctly unpromising-looking pub in Sandhurst....

I started very prejudiced about that beer, I had a bad pint somewhere sometime, but I learned that there is almost a cult following of Harvey's ("he's a Harvey's man") and where I was living it was everywhere. I used buy it for takeaway from a very dodgy pub, beer was always tiptop and cool, slight toffee notes.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 23rd, 2018, 12:34 pm

UncleIan wrote:...
Wednesday had a so-so pint of Ranmore from the Surrey Hills Brewery. Tasted a bit sour to me. It was pretty lively coming out the pipe but I don't know whether that was the barmaid's "technique" of not tipping the glass and then knocking the froth off the top and topping up to get a proper measure or whether it was near the start or end of the barrel. Seemed clear enough, and I'm sure I've had it before and better. Nice to sit outside a proper country pub and feed the mosquitos though.

The owner Ross is a nice chap. Nice brewery, nice people. Those beers are everywhere around Dorking, Leatherhead, East Horsley etc. I wish I could justify spending that much of my pot to live again around that area. £750k for a 3 bedroom bungalow. Lovely walks, lovely beer. I will get used to the North and sparklers, sure I will. Sure I will.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 23rd, 2018, 12:45 pm

One more beer and I'll start working on the barbecue. I did the Nando's style marinade, piri-piri. I have chicken, pork shoulder steaks, also burgers. Boiled some baby potatoes for the potato salad.

I once made a mistake of praising someone's potato salad to my then wife. Apparently it was just potatoes, mayo, salt, pepper. But it was good. Hit the spot. I said to wife it was the best potato salad I've ever had. Next day the wife made it too with capers, onion, paprika powder, the works "isn't this a lot better?" I had different potato salads every day for a week. "yes, this is much better than Mr M's potato salad. What was I thinking, darling".

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 23rd, 2018, 8:47 pm

Why I am a Marston's shareholder escapes me...down 30%,some divis for sure, but the beer is bland. What was going on inside my head when I bought a 6-bottle pack of their boring beers I'll never find out. Jennings Cocker Hoop. Seems like they only have one beer but the brands and labels differ.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » June 28th, 2018, 9:42 am

Went to a fairly local pub I've never been to before, a village boozer, doesn't really do food, not been refurbed and all the varnish taken off everything, dark wood cladding down low, woodchip wallpaper up high. Had a wide variety of beer. Locals were friendly. Driving unfortunately so limited to one, a pint of Hop Back Brewery - Crop Circle. Basically, if you like Summer Lightning, you'll like this golden ale. It's basically the same, as far as I remember, though it's been a while, so maybe if I had both at the same time for a proper compare and contrast. Anyway, well kept, perfect for a hot summer's eve.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 28th, 2018, 2:49 pm

JMN2's comment
now I having Ilkley's Pale. Euphoria.
suggests a good name for a special beer: Euphoria IPA
This weather is thirsty session-beer weather, so perhaps Oakham Ales will make an even more hopped version of Citra - and we now have a good name for it.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 28th, 2018, 3:02 pm

EuphorIPA if you want. Mine's a Hefeweizen for preference in this season. 8-)

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 29th, 2018, 7:32 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:EuphorIPA if you want. Mine's a Hefeweizen for preference in this season. 8-)

Too sweet and cloying for me, clove, bubblegum and banana notes from the yeast.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 29th, 2018, 11:41 am

Too sweet and cloying for me, clove, bubblegum and banana notes from the yeast.

I agree. It may be an acquired taste but i have never acquired it!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 30th, 2018, 10:44 am

'several ' nice pints of Dark Star Hophead last night in Reading followed by a Siren Liquid Mistress and some Thornbridge stuff the name of which I have forgotten (something 'Sun')
It was very warm in the beer garden, and easy to glug a bit too fast .
Today I feel somewhat fatigued..

Return to “Drink”