Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Deadpool 2

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Re: Deadpool 2

Postby JMN2 » May 17th, 2018, 4:39 pm

For a while I was confused, was thinking of The Dead Pool (dirty harry)..."Only with humans"

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » June 2nd, 2018, 12:46 am

4/10 for me.

This sequel is what all sequels used to be like, capitalising on the surprise success of a film by doing the same sort of thing all over again, but not as well, without the originality of the first, and with everyone involved being a bit lack-lustre.

However, I have the feeling the scriptwriters think they've created the cleverest and funniest film ever. I'm sure they had a great time showing off to each other how clever they were to know about lots of other films they could reference and be snide about. But here's the thing - a clever idea isn't the same as a joke. Simply saying "in films with time-travel (e.g. Terminator) people should just go back earlier to make their job easier" isn't funny by itself, but it could be the basis for creating something funny. The film is full of stuff like this. Also lots of self-indulgent extended scenes, where the idea really isn't funny, but because the star is also a co-writer, nobody told them to cut it.

The film is pretty relentless throughout in its attempts to be funny/clever, so inevitably at least some of it will work - I particularly liked the idea of someone whose superpower was "being lucky" which then actually got developed into a running joke with some funny visual gags. There's also a famous star doing a very brief cameo.

As far as audio quality goes, I had no problem with catching the quick-fire dialogue.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » June 5th, 2018, 8:34 am

Bit of a shock for me to see a current movie so here I am reporting in...

I liked it. Silly, violent, sweary, gory. What's not to like*?

Lots of preposterous things in it, but that definitely goes with the territory, so you just go with it.

* Ok, I will say this, all the "breaking the fourth wall" stuff is okay, and part of the schtick, but for some reason the references to being in a movie grated a little. A bit too....Probably just me.

My local vue is £5, £4 on Mondays, but I had some free tickets, definitely worth the price of admission. Ho ho. No, I liked it really, 7/10.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » August 1st, 2018, 6:09 pm

zico wrote:
I particularly liked the idea of someone whose superpower was "being lucky" which then actually got developed into a running joke with some funny visual gags.

Although this concept has been done by Stan Lee, and I believe there's a series currently running on Sky somewhere.... maybe with fewer gags (I dunno, haven't seen it)

BH

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 2nd, 2018, 11:38 am

bionichamster wrote:Although this concept has been done by Stan Lee, and I believe there's a series currently running on Sky somewhere.... maybe with fewer gags (I dunno, haven't seen it)

Stan Lee's Lucky Man on Sky 1.

I gave up on it as I found it quite dark and depressing. Plus I've never warmed to James Nesbitt as an actor.

Slarti

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”