Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS advice

Discussions regarding financial software
Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

HYPTUSS advice

Postby Urbandreamer » August 4th, 2018, 9:33 am

First can I say thanks for HYPTUSS, it's so increadibly usefull that I still use it despite having changed my investment style.

I buy the odd AIM share, so obviously I edit the DigitalLook sheet so that it can gather the data. However I've hit a problem in that I'm going to buy a ETF.

Specifically ROBG.
Is there a way that I can at least use libreoffice HYPTUSS to get its current price. The reason that I want to use HYPTUSS is that I have unitised my portfolio and it gives a great indication of how my portfolio is doing relative to the FTSE & all share.

Ps, while I have never used python, I'm confident that I could dive into the code with a few pointers in the right direction.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYPTUSS advice

Postby kiloran » August 4th, 2018, 10:00 am

In principle, this should be OK. We already have some ETFs such as VWRL and VMID. Prices from Yahoo are reported OK, but there is no yield data from Webfg (Digital Look), and no dividend data is available from our usual sources.

I had a look at ROBG.L. It is reported by the Yahoo web page https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/ROBG.L? ... c=fin-srch but for reasons I can't explain, it is not available in the Yahoo API that we use to get the price data. It just produces an error.

I wondered if ROBG is very new and perhaps has not yet fed into the Yahoo API, but this suggests it's been around a while: https://www.justetf.com/uk/etf-profile. ... 00BMW3QX54

--kiloran

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » August 4th, 2018, 11:26 am

kiloran wrote:I had a look at ROBG.L. It is reported by the Yahoo web page https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/ROBG.L? ... c=fin-srch but for reasons I can't explain, it is not available in the Yahoo API that we use to get the price data. It just produces an error.
--kiloran

Thanks Kilaran.

If the Yahoo API doesn't do it I'll either have to move my Unitisation to google sheets or investigate alternatives.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 4th, 2018, 11:44 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
kiloran wrote:I had a look at ROBG.L. It is reported by the Yahoo web page https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/ROBG.L? ... c=fin-srch but for reasons I can't explain, it is not available in the Yahoo API that we use to get the price data. It just produces an error.
--kiloran

Thanks Kilaran.

If the Yahoo API doesn't do it I'll either have to move my Unitisation to google sheets or investigate alternatives.

Typical Yahoo. An hour or two ago, it consistently failed with ROBG.L, creating an error message.

Now..... it works!

Add the following to the Digital Look Data Sheet..
A: leave blank
B: Global Robotics and Automation GO UCITS ETF (or whatever name you prefer)
C: ROBG
D: Equity Investment Instruments (or whatever sector you prefer)
E:ROBG

Works OK on the LibreOffice version b-i. Haven't checked Excel

--kiloran

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » August 4th, 2018, 2:18 pm

kiloran wrote:Now..... it works!

--kiloran

Thanks. It also works in b-h.

One thing if anyone else picks ETF's that returns ???? from DL.

Change the formular in columb N ie.
(N6) =IF(L6="????",1000,M6+I6)

That way the HYP top up calc still works for HYP shares.

Now I can stop researching the Google sheets API.

Sadly when I checked Yahoo returned prices of £0 for funds so this method doesn't work for those who want to add funds to their HYPTUSS, but at least ETF's are possible.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 5th, 2018, 10:48 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
kiloran wrote:Now..... it works!

--kiloran

Thanks. It also works in b-h.

One thing if anyone else picks ETF's that returns ???? from DL.

Change the formular in columb N ie.
(N6) =IF(L6="????",1000,M6+I6)

That way the HYP top up calc still works for HYP shares.

Now I can stop researching the Google sheets API.

Sadly when I checked Yahoo returned prices of £0 for funds so this method doesn't work for those who want to add funds to their HYPTUSS, but at least ETF's are possible.

I guess that's one way to skin the cat, but I think modifying formulas like that can lead to potential confusion and ongoing maintenance when a new HYPTUSS is released.
The ???? is intended to highlight that HYPTUSS could not find a Forecast Yield in Webfg. Just overtype the ???? with your own estimate so that the share correctly displays in the Top-Up order. If you don't have your own estimate, just overtype the ???? with zero. This should effectively do what your modified formula does.

--kiloran

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”