Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

I've been pre-approved for a new credit card

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
wheypat
Lemon Slice

I've been pre-approved for a new credit card

Postby wheypat » August 9th, 2018, 11:52 am

Oh joy of joys, I'm on a mailing list. And I've been pre-approved* for a brand new credit card.

In my wallet I have an Amex card with an 38K limit. And a mastercard with a 20K limit. And a VISA card with a 15K limit. Last year I spent over 100K on plastic (about 85K of that is work related expenses). I pay them all off every month. I put everything I possibly can on credit card as they all have cash back ranging from 1% to 3%.

But no matter, Vanquis have pre-approved* me for one of their cards. Oh happy days. With a £250 limit. £250???? What use is that? My amex bill last month was almost 20K. £250? I could stay 2 nights in a hotel (just about) and it would be maxed out. And they've written to me 3 times in the last 6 weeks. I don't want one, I keep writing this on the forms and posting it back to them.

*Subject to certain checks, i.e. I'm in no way shape or form pre-approved.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: I've been pre-approved for a new credit card

Postby Alaric » August 9th, 2018, 12:01 pm

wheypat wrote:But no matter, Vanquis have pre-approved* me for one of their cards. Oh happy days. With a £250 limit.

Their marketing would seem somewhat at cross purposes. You wonder how much or how little they really know. If you have no credit available at all, £ 250 will be a luxury. For many users, it's too low to be of any use.

Vanquis is a brand of that door to door bank whose share price crashed, is it not?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: I've been pre-approved for a new credit card

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 9th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Alaric wrote:Vanquis is a brand of that door to door bank whose share price crashed, is it not?

Googling them finds this:
Vanquis have helped over 3 million† people with bad credit, improve their credit rating after being turned down elsewhere. Apply now & improve your credit ...

I wonder if there might be an issue with the OP's credit report?

(Me? £250 would cover my spend in a quiet month, but still seem pointless. I use my creditcard for the cashback).

Return to “Bitter Lemons”