Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Handkerchiefs

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Handkerchiefs

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 10th, 2018, 11:17 am

melonfool wrote:Oh, so gross! Bogies floating in saucepans! I hope you use a dedicated pan and not one you use for pasta on other nights!

Mel

There's a separate food board if you want recipes.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 10th, 2018, 11:26 am

melonfool wrote:
kiloran wrote:
melonfool wrote:I use paper ones - mainly because I cannot stomach the thought of snot and etc in my washing machine with my clothes, it's gross.

Mel

So I assume you also wear paper disposable knickers, mel? ;)
Or (gulp!) you never wash your knickers?

--kiloran

I don't know what goes on in your pants but there is no snot or bogies in my knickers.

Mel

So, come clean ( :D ).... how do you handle skidmarks?

--kiloran

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 10th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Some unexpected replies I must say. OH uses paper hankies in the house but always has a clean cotton one in his pocket. The cotton one seems to get used as a glasses cleaner, napkin and cleaner of spills which for some unusual reason always seem to contain oil. The discussion started off because one of our group was moaning about the number of hankies she has to iron each week for her hubby and three sons. Unlike some people on the board she cannot persuade them to do their own ironing and so is lumbered with it all. She has a tumble drier and apparently if you manage to get some garments out at just the right moment and put them on hangers straight away you don't need to iron them but this doesn't seem to work with hankies. Personally I don't mind ironing but for some reason doing hankies does annoy me. The modern one don't seem square and I always end up with an overlapping bit, not OCD annoyed just slightly peeved.

R6

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » August 10th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:The discussion started off because one of our group was moaning about the number of hankies she has to iron each week for her hubby and three sons. Unlike some people on the board she cannot persuade them to do their own ironing and so is lumbered with it all. She has a tumble drier and apparently if you manage to get some garments out at just the right moment and put them on hangers straight away you don't need to iron them but this doesn't seem to work with hankies.
R6

She is correct that removing garments from the washer/drier, giving them a good shake and hanging up, generally won't work for hankies or work shirts.

However, whereas the former are easy peasy to iron, I've never been great at doing work shirts. Therefore my favoured route has been to take a weeks worth to the dry cleaners and pay for them to be laundered and ironed and collect the following week. The strange thing is, living in Kensington, that although the dry cleaners in the area all charge around £10 to do a 2 piece suit, they fall over themselves to do deals on shirts. The cheapest I've found so far is £6.50 for 5 shirts. There's no way I'm going to spend an hour (which it would take me to do and do badly) ironing a weeks worth of work shirts when I can get it done for £6.50.

Having said that, the Mrs often has other ideas and won't let me take them to be done by someone else if she gets there first and irons them. She does, of course, keep ribbing me to do them myself. I just reply for her to leave them and i'll take them to the dry cleaners. A nice get out for me. :)

HYD

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Postby Meatyfool » August 10th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Iron Hankies.

Why?

Once used, they are scrunched up.

Madness I tell ya!

Meatyfool..

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 10th, 2018, 12:33 pm

What's all this talk about ironing hankies? It's a concept I don't recognise.

--kiloran

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » August 10th, 2018, 12:56 pm

kiloran wrote:What's all this talk about ironing hankies? It's a concept I don't recognise.

--kiloran

For ones that poke out of the top of a jacket pocket, it is de rigeur to iron them.

The trouser pocket ones are optional but I'd argue that an ironed one still looks much better after a few 'blows' than an unironed one. Plus it fits in your pocket better until completely scrunched up from use.

HYD

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 10th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Shame you don't live nearer HYD, a lady in the village supplements her pension by taking in ironing, she charges 50p for a shirt!

R6

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 10th, 2018, 4:03 pm

I always carry 2.

The one in the left hand trouser pocket is for cleaning my glasses and nothing else. The one in my right hand pocket is for whatever I need it for and never goes near my glasses.

I usually also have paper tissues close by, but not always.

Slarti

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » August 10th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Shame you don't live nearer HYD, a lady in the village supplements her pension by taking in ironing, she charges 50p for a shirt!

R6

Wow! That's amazing. Obviously my £6.50 price includes being laundered but even so £2.50 for 5 shirts ironed . . . . is she married?

:)

HYD

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » August 10th, 2018, 4:21 pm

melonfool wrote:I use paper ones - mainly because I cannot stomach the thought of snot and etc in my washing machine with my clothes, it's gross.

Mel

I am I the only one whose nose throat and stomach are direcly connected? Or maybe no one else has ever 'sniffed'

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 10th, 2018, 5:07 pm

gnawsome wrote:

Mel

I am I the only one whose nose throat and stomach are direcly connected? Or maybe no one else has ever 'sniffed'

Sniffing is more vile than carrying snot soaked cotton squares in your pocket.

Mel

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » August 10th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Is there an ignore/block/ghost feature on this place?

:-p

HYD

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » August 10th, 2018, 8:15 pm

What a disgusting thread :lol:

Hankies are germ carriers.....Use sink in the morning, shower at night. During the day have sniffels..do a Snorvey or act like a footballer :D
Seriously.....paper tissues when really needed.

So, come clean ( :D ).... how do you handle skidmarks?

--kiloran

Wet wipes...saved many a pair of shorts. My record is 28 in one session. Snorvey?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”