Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

First post - help in lots of ways please!!

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Adiethesailor

First post - help in lots of ways please!!

Postby Adiethesailor » August 9th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Good evening,

Below is my (very) slowly accumulated HYPish SIPP portfolio. As you can see there are a few dogs but I have stuck to not meddling and am now unsure what to do from now.

Can someone give me some honest feedback on the selection?
Can someone advise me if to buy more shares now that i can contribute the full annual allowance or to top up. If so can someone point me to the formulaic method of ordering shares to top up, please?
Lastly can someone point me to instructions for these messages so that i could put a table in correctly!?
Very many thanks

Investment Value% Yield %
Provident Financial PLC (LSE:PFG) 1.34 4.8
Marston's PLC (LSE:MARS) 4.68 7.46
BT Group PLC (LSE:BT.A) 3.29 6.65
Vodafone Group PLC (LSE:VOD) 4.80 7.16
Northgate PLC (LSE:NTG) 2.87 4.07
SSE PLC (LSE:SSE) 4.41 6.76
Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE:VZ) 2.92 4.48
Direct Line Insurance Group PLC (LSE:DLG) 4.12 6.1
Inmarsat PLC (LSE:ISAT) 3.54 5.09
Berkeley Group Holdings (The) PLC (LSE:BKG) 3.44 3.18
British Land Co PLC (LSE:BLND) 3.93 4.8
Royal Dutch Shell PLC B (LSE:RDSB) 4.70 5.21
National Grid PLC (LSE:NG.) 5.43 5.7
Rio Tinto PLC (LSE:RIO) 5.11 5.11
Tesco PLC (LSE:TSCO) 3.46 1.15
Taylor Wimpey PLC (LSE:TW.) 3.76 3
British American Tobacco PLC (LSE:BATS) 8.96 4.68
AstraZeneca PLC (LSE:AZN) 7.97 3.91
BAE Systems PLC (LSE:BA.) 6.59 3.6
Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) 5.44 1.41
Mondi PLC (LSE:MNDI) 9.22 2.65

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: First post - help in lots of ways please!!

Postby kiloran » August 9th, 2018, 9:26 pm

Adiethesailor wrote:Lastly can someone point me to instructions for these messages so that i could put a table in correctly!?

I'll handle the easy bit!

See: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... ormat.html
If you have the table in Excel or LibreOffice/OpenOffice, it's a doddle.

Have a practice at viewforum.php?f=28

--kiloran
(Oh, and welcome to Lemon Fool)

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » August 9th, 2018, 9:32 pm

I use HYPTUSS, as a guide to top up shares and the guys have also set up a wzy to formst tables for TLF. I am on my tab so cannot get the link at the moment but if you look under "managing your finances" you will se a redirect to some financial tools that should help

Raptor

BEATEN TO IT BY KILORAN....

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 9th, 2018, 10:12 pm

I can see how you got where you are. It doesn't look wildly unbalanced and is reasonably diversified.

You have 21 holdings, so if you want to add to them discriminately, there is no reason not to, as long as you don't make a sector too heavy. As you have found, portfolios often grow of their own accord. Keeping them reasonably balanced is a sensible move.

TJH

Adiethesailor

Postby Adiethesailor » August 9th, 2018, 10:33 pm

Thanks Kiloran!

Now to check out the HYPTUSS . .

Thanks again,

Adie

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 10th, 2018, 12:07 am

I noticed that some of the yields you posted " need to be checked"

Provident Financial cut their Divi to zero but recently mentioned that they would reintroduce a small Divi.

ISAT is a cutter ( current yld of 2.76%)

Here's a useful link to check the dividends

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... ic&order=0

Comments
Mondi weight (9%) and it's yield is 2.6% ( not counting the special) - has it ever been a HYP share? (I actually think mndi are a good company but not a HYP share)
Not sure why Apple (US) is held in a HYP with its divi?
Northgate NTG...slight concern on their debt levels?

New additions?
Legal and General
HSBA / Lloyds
SDRC ( Schroders Non voting)

HYPTUSS would be worthwhile downloading. You would get an idea on the overall dividend. It won't be 100% accurate but it should be in the right ballpark.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » August 10th, 2018, 7:51 am

monabri wrote:Comments
Mondi weight (9%) and it's yield is 2.6% ( not counting the special) - has it ever been a HYP share? (I actually think mndi are a good company but not a HYP share)
Not sure why Apple (US) is held in a HYP with its divi?
Northgate NTG...slight concern on their debt levels?

This thread is on the High yield Strategies board, so HYP is not a concern, as such. He did say HYPish. Although I would question Mondi in a HY portfolio, same goes for Apple.

Not a problem if in there for fullness of holdings though.

The HY shares seem to be a good mix but the "yields" quoted look a bit suspect. Suggest adding them to HYPTUSS (Apple will be a problem there though), which would give you a "forecast yield".

Keep posting and welcome.

Raptor.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 10th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Raptor wrote:Although I would question Mondi in a HY portfolio, ...

A quick check of a share chart says that it was priced not far above 100p in early 2009, and a look at its dividend history says that its historical dividend at the time was 12.7 euro cents. I haven't checked the exact exchange rate or market yield at the time, but it seems completely clear to me that its historical yield was high at that time!

That historical yield was rather misleading, because the historical dividend was made up of an uncut 7.7c interim and a final 5c that had been cut from the previous year's 15.7c by a factor of a bit over 3. So it would be a pretty seriously incautious investor who took the 7.7c interim as likely to be repeated in the future! But a more sensible investor might well have pencilled in a similar cut by a factor of a bit over 3 to the interim, arriving at a figure of about 2.5c, and so arrived at an adjusted historical dividend of 7.5c. The corresponding yield would have been a lot closer to average, but I think might well still reasonably have been regarded as high, at least by some investors. It wouldn't have been regarded as a HYP share by most HYPers, because of that then-recent dividend cut and I think also because of its then-low market cap, but it could have fitted into a high-yield Recovery portfolio (and its price chart and dividend history say that it would have been a resounding success in such a portfolio - even better than Persimmon has been in HYP1 over the same time period).

And in fact, it could have ended up in a HYP: a still-fairly-small amount of it would be in HYP1 if pyad had run it more strictly in accordance with its stated policies (which is not a criticism of him - I would have done the same in his position). See https://web.archive.org/web/20170213052 ... sort=whole for why...

Gengulphus

Adiethesailor

Postby Adiethesailor » August 10th, 2018, 7:03 pm

So thanks all for your input - it's really valued.
HYPish is a flexible strategy that allows for occasional deviant behaviour as long as it remains legal.
Mondi was bought in Oct 11 at 490 and a yield of 4%. My non-tinkering strategy (aka terror of selling just before a share shoots up) has left it to climb to 2172 today which is, I think, a CAGR of over 20% so I'm happy with that one and feel emotionally attached!
ISAT is trickier though I have a feeling in my waters that it will come good. Bought in 2013 with a Divi of 4.6% at the time but has dropped from 700 to 550 - mmmmmm perhaps it's time to tinker.
Apple was bought on a whim after a glass of wine with no analysis other than a realisation that ALL of my family had moved to iPhones whilst I was still fighting my Blackberry at the time. About $45 in 2010 (no records kept - too much wine) and today at 206 so am reasonably happy with that one.
When my investment lessons to my children come to fruition I shall buy Tesla shares when they are all driving P100Ds and I am still in my Skoda!
I have learnt (mostly from reading you guys) and am now more disciplined. Whilst I will continue to not tinker I want my purchases to become more reasoned and hence sticking my head above the parapet. Thanks again for your advice. I'll spend a merry wet weekend investigating HYPTUSS, checking my data and investigating your suggestions.
Take care out there,
Adie

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”