Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby BobbyD » August 10th, 2018, 10:15 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
Bobbyd
Not really pertinent to the question you asked though is it?

My point was that index funds would only hold a bit of Tesla and that was confirmed by the top mutual fund holders, save maybe one, not being index funds that I posted.

Your point was:

odysseus2000 wrote:How can it be that Tesla is at one moment a massively over priced equity and then the bread and butter of index funds?

Elsewhere...

The SEC Is Intensifying Its Probe of Tesla

- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... statements

Elon Musk's Tweet was Irresponsible, Reckless, Says Ex-SEC Attorney

- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2 ... rney-video

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 11th, 2018, 12:30 am

BobbyD

Is this the best that can be done, an Ex SEC attorney, wanting a bit of income to help his retirement. What he says and thinks is irrelevant.

As to SEC increasing its investigation of Tesla at an informal level again means nothing.

If the SEC goes to formal it might mean something but anything informal is not relevant.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 11th, 2018, 2:15 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD

Is this the best that can be done, an Ex SEC attorney, wanting a bit of income to help his retirement. What he says and thinks is irrelevant.

As to SEC increasing its investigation of Tesla at an informal level again means nothing.

If the SEC goes to formal it might mean something but anything informal is not relevant.

Regards,

Everything you don't agree with is irrelevant...

Lawsuit accuses Tesla's Musk of fraud over tweets, going-private proposal

The complaint filed by Kalman Isaacs said Musk’s alleged false and misleading tweets on Aug. 7 about a possible going-private transaction, and Tesla’s failure to correct them, were a “nuclear attack” on short-sellers that inflated Tesla’s stock price and violated federal securities laws.

Tesla did not respond to a request for comment on the proposed class-action complaint filed in the federal court in San Francisco. The company is based in nearby Palo Alto, California.

- https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesl ... SKBN1KV2IQ

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 11th, 2018, 8:08 am

Double trouble.

Lawsuits accuse Tesla's Musk of fraud over tweets, going-private proposal

Reuters) - Tesla Inc and Chief Executive Elon Musk were sued twice on Friday by investors who said they fraudulently engineered a scheme to squeeze short-sellers, including through Musk’s proposal to take the electric car company private.

The lawsuits were filed three days after Musk stunned investors by announcing on Twitter that he might take Tesla private in a record $72 billion transaction that valued the company at $420 per share, and that “funding” had been “secured.”

In one of the lawsuits, the plaintiff Kalman Isaacs said Musk’s tweets were false and misleading, and together with Tesla’s failure to correct them amounted to a “nuclear attack” designed to “completely decimate” short-sellers.

- https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesl ... SKBN1KV2IQ

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » August 11th, 2018, 9:51 am

Purely anecdotal, and not to be used for investment decisions, but kind of interesting! Locally our upmarket so called "farm shop" are Tesla devotees and now have a row of 8 or so (mostly empty) Tesla charging points, mostly used by the owners I think. But a few miles down the road a hotel has recently opened and they are providing Porsche charging points for their customers.

Tesla don't have a clean run, though they are clearly ahead in the performance market for now. But you have to ask how long propriety charging systems can last. If electric really is the future that is a massive hindrance to it.

Peter

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 11th, 2018, 9:53 am

In one of the lawsuits, the plaintiff Kalman Isaacs said Musk’s tweets were false and misleading, and together with Tesla’s failure to correct them amounted to a “nuclear attack” designed to “completely decimate” short-sellers.

Ha Ha.

Good luck with that, but they will need something far more substantial to have any hope of getting anywhere, especially as Musk had previously warned short sellers about the dangers of shorting Tesla stock.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 11th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Apropos of nothing, I had a drive in a new Tesla the other day. I believe the asking price was around £65k.

I then went to my local Ford dealer and had a drive in a new petrol Ford valued at 22k. I am not sure there was that much to choose between them.

£40k buys a lot of petrol. Or a lot of Vanguard.

Yes, and I agree, except I would buy second hand letting someone else take the depreciation; my car is 18 years old.

But how many other people in the population are driven by such thoughts of economy?

Basing investment decisions on how I would personally behave is not going to be any good if most of the rest of the population bases their buying decisions on a different calculus.

When I look at what folk spend their money on I rarely see economy as a prime driver, more its about wanting what they perceive to be the best. Consequently Apple iPhone X sell in good volume when someone can get something that would do everything they mostly need for a lot less. I have an iPhone 4s; many think this is so old they can't believe it still works.

Why some different calculus would apply to cars I can not see. Sure the Ford is a lot cheaper but if enough folk want a Tesla there is a good business there.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 11th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Purely anecdotal, and not to be used for investment decisions, but kind of interesting! Locally our upmarket so called "farm shop" are Tesla devotees and now have a row of 8 or so (mostly empty) Tesla charging points, mostly used by the owners I think. But a few miles down the road a hotel has recently opened and they are providing Porsche charging points for their customers.

Tesla don't have a clean run, though they are clearly ahead in the performance market for now. But you have to ask how long propriety charging systems can last. If electric really is the future that is a massive hindrance to it.

Peter

Yes, and Tesla have offered the IP to their charging system for free and as far as I can tell most (all?) other makers have not taken up the offer.

The deployment of new tech often follows similar lines of incompatibility and those incompatibilities can endure, e.g. almost nothing that fits a Ford will also fit a Vauxhall, one of the few commonalities is the fuel.

Given how relatively easy it is for anyone ordinarily skilled in the art of electric power supply to alter voltage and current it is likely that convertors will be created that will allow most power supplies to fit most cars, but in the by and by likely a standard such as the 13 amp plug will probably emerge.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 11th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Hat tip to Smartertrader on twitter for this story which I find catches how I view the current situation:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/10/th ... explosion/

Clearly I nor the writer of the story know what is going to happen, but this looks to me like a plausible scenario.

If you don't agree or better can find some reasons why this article is wrong, then I would be very interested to read them, so please post

Regards,

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » August 11th, 2018, 6:13 pm

Good luck with that, but they will need something far more substantial to have any hope of getting anywhere, especially as Musk had previously warned short sellers about the dangers of shorting Tesla stock.

Sorry I don't see Musk "warning" having any relevance to anyone if it comes to court (or the SEC). That has no bearing if he misled or failed to issue notification through proper channels, and caused losses to market participants.

Peter

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 11th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Peter
Sorry I don't see Musk "warning" having any relevance to anyone if it comes to court (or the SEC). That has no bearing if he misled or failed to issue notification through proper channels, and caused losses to market participants.

I beg to differ. If this was a one off tweet one could see potential for litigation, but this is just one in very many tweets that when it suited folk there has been no complaint.

If the SEC thought tweets were inappropriate they have had years to act, but apart from some unsubstantiated comments about informal investigations and some comments by an ex SEC official there has been nothing.

Any jury would have to decide that Musk misled investors by this tweet and so far with the board supporting him there is no evidence of this.

It may come to pass that investors in funds with large short exposure to Tesla will claim damages for inappropriate investment behaviour and inappropriate risk management by the funds that have taken large short positions.

Regards,

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 11th, 2018, 9:21 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
If the SEC thought tweets were inappropriate they have had years to act, but apart from some unsubstantiated comments about informal investigations and some comments by an ex SEC official there has been nothing.

Surely it's got nothing to do with how 'appropriate' a message-technology itself is, and much more to do with the message itself...

Perhaps, up to now, none were deemed to have manipulated the market....

Time will tell if they feel the same way with this one....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 11th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Surely it's got nothing to do with how 'appropriate' a message-technology itself is, and much more to do with the message itself...

Perhaps, up to now, none were deemed to have manipulated the market....

Time will tell if they feel the same way with this one....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Correct and Musk has tweeted several times about the danger of shorting Tesla stock and about being private.

One can argue this is itself market manipulation for the longs and against the shorts. The shorts didn't believe him and instead relied on their own analysis and remained short.

Given the developments it is hard to argue that the shorts have been mislead, but easy to argue that they took a position based on their own analysis and against the tweets of Musk which is how markets work. Can't see how Musk could be cited as having mislead Shorts, if anything he was particularly kind in warning them.

The questions now are does Musk have the money, there should be an 8K if he has and if so is the $420 the top of the cover range or the bottom? A short squeeze here could imho take the price to buy back borrowed stock to multiples of the $420 offer price.

Alternatively if Musk doesn't have the money the shorts will make a killing.

Shorts in Tesla have never been a risk/reward I would take, but some folk believe they know more than I do and some have made very good money shorting Tesla shares.

Interesting what happens now.

For me I currently still intend to take the private shares if offered, but if the price was to rocket to say $1200+ I might be tempted to sell at least some.

Regards,

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 11th, 2018, 10:15 pm

Ody, just a reminder that if you continue to quote replies, but then delete the bit in the automatically-generated text that says who you are quoting, it does two things -

1. It stops any potential auto-notifications being generated by the board software, to tell the users you are replying to that they *have* been replied to.

2. It becomes harder for *other users* to see who any particular reply or discussion is meant for.

I'm sure most of us would like to keep involved with discussions where replies are being made, but you're in danger of lessening that involvement if you don't allow the auto-reply text to stay as it is.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 11th, 2018, 10:20 pm

PeterGray wrote: But you have to ask how long propriety charging systems can last. If electric really is the future that is a massive hindrance to it.

Who we are
IONITY is the joint venture of BMW Group, Daimler AG, Ford Motor Company and the Volkswagen Group with Audi and Porsche. We are here to build a network of reliable and powerful charging stations along major routes across Europe.

Not a bad collective, and a sign that even this early in mass ev's development manufacturer's see the need for standards.

- http://www.ionity.eu/ionity-en.html

odysseus2000 wrote:

Ha Ha.

Regards,

Erm, I'm not sure I warned them shorting was dangerous is a recognised defence against charges of market manipulation...

PeterGray wrote:Sorry I don't see Musk "warning" having any relevance to anyone if it comes to court (or the SEC). That has no bearing if he misled or failed to issue notification through proper channels, and caused losses to market participants.

Peter

Part of Musk's problem may come from the fact that the SEC have previously found social media to be an appropriate channel

Washington, D.C., April 2, 2013 —
The Securities and Exchange Commission today issued a report that makes clear that companies can use social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter to announce key information in compliance with Regulation Fair Disclosure (Regulation FD) so long as investors have been alerted about which social media will be used to disseminate such information.

- https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2013-2013-51htm

odysseus2000 wrote:Any jury would have to decide that Musk misled investors by this tweet and so far with the board supporting him there is no evidence of this.

So far there's no corroboration of Musks's claim that he had the financing secured to take the company private at $420. If that claim isdiscredited making the case that Musk misled investors isn't going to take a lot of imagination.

Given the developments it is hard to argue that the shorts have been mislead, but easy to argue that they took a position based on their own analysis and against the tweets of Musk which is how markets work. Can't see how Musk could be cited as having mislead Shorts, if anything he was particularly kind in warning them.

The questions now are does Musk have the money...

You mean the money he claimed to have when you assert he definitely wasn't misleading the market?

That's rather the point, if he did then his problems are significantly diminished, if he didn't wouldn't you say that by claiming he did he had been misleading?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 11th, 2018, 10:23 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
The questions now are does Musk have the money

If there's any real investigations, then I don't think that will be the question.

I think the question, if there is an investigation, would be to ask if Musk had the money when he made the tweet......

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 11th, 2018, 10:51 pm

Ody, just a reminder that if you continue to quote replies, but then delete the bit in the automatically-generated text that says who you are quoting, it does two things -

1. It stops any potential auto-notifications being generated by the board software, to tell the users you are replying to that they *have* been replied to.

2. It becomes harder for *other users* to see who any particular reply or discussion is meant for.

I'm sure most of us would like to keep involved with discussions where replies are being made, but you're in danger of lessening that involvement if you don't allow the auto-reply text to stay as it is.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks for pointing this out, although I am a little confused.

All I have been doing is selecting the bit I wanted in the previous post, putting the posters name and then pasting the bit I wanted to quote. I didn't realise I was deleting anything.

Please could you tell me, or give a link as to how should I use auto-reply text?

Thanks

Regards,

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 12th, 2018, 6:21 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
All I have been doing is selecting the bit I wanted in the previous post, putting the posters name and then pasting the bit I wanted to quote. I didn't realise I was deleting anything.

Ah, well that makes sense then Ody, as it sounds like you're 'manually' creating the reply, rather than allowing the board software to help do it for you, and for the software to do it in a way that activates the relevant notifications and also makes the posts easier to read in terms of allowing readers to see who you are replying to.

Towards the top right of any post you want to reply to, you'll see a 'double-quote' icon - it's to the right of the 'report this post' button. If you press that, the TLF board software will automatically format a reply to the post, allowing you to then type your reply underneath it the original post.

Give it a go using the 'Preview' option instead of actually committing a post, and you'll see it working as expected.

Of course you will often want to remove some parts of the post you are replying to (and it does help a great deal with the readability of replies when people do spend a few seconds doing this.....), but at least the replies are much better to read then, and as I've said, if the person you've replied to has got the auto-notifications turned on, then they are sent a board-notification to say that there is a reply to one of their posts, and the notification then also allows them to jump to the reply itself, if they want to read it straight away, which of course helps the general discussions flow smoothly on the boards, and helps people avoid missing important replies if those notifications aren't activated correctly by your type of 'manual' replies.

Sometimes when editing down a quoted post, it can be fiddly to get to where you want to be, so often I will use the clipboard to hold the section of text that I want to be inside the quote, and then just delete everything inside the 'quote/un-quote' braces, and then simply paste in the smaller section of text that I want to leave in.

When formatting a reply using the above option, I always like to manually insert a blank line after the initial auto-generated 'user-being-quoted' braces, as I think that helps to format the reply a bit better for reading, but that's just a personal choice.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 12th, 2018, 7:24 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
Hope the above helps.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Yes I was doing it manually, habit from writing lots and lots of html.

I have done this using the methods you suggested, seems to work fine.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » August 12th, 2018, 9:30 am

Good point re quoting iaag,

I tend to "manually" quote, much better to use the quote option and then delete the bits I don't want. Thanks for that.

Peter

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”