How do you reward yourself?
It seems to me that most of the 'perks' that once sweetened the pain of all the risk and effort have all but disappeared. Today's options seem to be:
- Non-financial rewards - like freedom, autonomy, working hours/holidays, working conditions, etc.
- Salary - always painful to see the double whammy of personal and business deductions
- Dividends - but now only £2k tax-free
- Pensions - SIPP and tax-free lump sums at 55? (assuming it survives long enough)
- Expenses - e.g. meals out, hotel stays, attract HMRC's attention if not qualifying
- Equipment - e.g. laptops, attract HMRC's attention if for private use
- Life/Critical Illness Cover - Aviva's Relevant Life policies have just been closed to new customers
- Health Insurance - taxable
- Car - taxable
- Cycle to work - mostly cheaper to buy a bike privately at sale prices
- VCTs etc - medium/long term
- Film schemes/Offshore trusts - mostly gone
What ways are you rewarding yourself for all the pain and heartache?
Go on, spill the beans.