Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Clicking on links

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Clicking on links

Postby GoSeigen » August 30th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Is there any way that a new window could be opened instead when you click on a link, to prevent the reverse navigation needed?

Late to the party but OMG, please don't do this. If users want a new tab open they can pin the tab in Firefox or use any number of other techniques to do so. Just stick to the standard behaviour for links. One of the worst culprits for this new-window nonsense is the LSE's site and it's maddening: some links open a new window and others do not; you can never tell in advance what is going to happen...

GS

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » August 30th, 2018, 11:12 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Is there any way that a new window could be opened instead when you click on a link, to prevent the reverse navigation needed?

Late to the party but OMG, please don't do this. If users want a new tab open they can pin the tab in Firefox or use any number of other techniques to do so. Just stick to the standard behaviour for links. One of the worst culprits for this new-window nonsense is the LSE's site and it's maddening: some links open a new window and others do not; you can never tell in advance what is going to happen...

GS

I take back my OP about links. Whilst I thought it was a slight inconvenience (to me) to navigate backwards, apparently it's 'maddening' to others when a new window opens.

No wonder anti-depressant use amongst the middle aged is sky high. It's those damn maddening links.

HYD

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » September 3rd, 2018, 2:28 pm

stooz wrote:The single click approach is to use your mouse's wheel. clicking the wheel on a link opens it in a new tab. one click.

Dare one point out that a touchscreen/touchpad doesn't have a wheel :?

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 4th, 2018, 5:12 pm

AJC5001 wrote:
stooz wrote:The single click approach is to use your mouse's wheel. clicking the wheel on a link opens it in a new tab. one click.

And dare one point out that hardware user interfaces are so varied these days that no suggestion will be applicable to everyone? And so suggestions have to be made on a "this will be useful to some, and won't harm others" basis?

Stooz's suggestion is valuable to me because I may well start using it - I had somehow previously missed the fact that mouse wheels can be clicked as well as rotated, despite an extensive background in computing, I suspect due to having acquired my mouse habits in days of simpler mice... It is also useful to me because it explains why I sometimes got weird results from trying to use a mouse wheel - I must have inadvertently clicked it without realising that I'd done so or even that it was possible to do it...

So thanks, stooz!

Gengulphus

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » September 5th, 2018, 12:45 am

Gengulphus wrote:
AJC5001 wrote:

And dare one point out that hardware user interfaces are so varied these days that no suggestion will be applicable to everyone? And so suggestions have to be made on a "this will be useful to some, and won't harm others" basis?

Stooz's suggestion is valuable to me because I may well start using it - I had somehow previously missed the fact that mouse wheels can be clicked as well as rotated, despite an extensive background in computing, I suspect due to having acquired my mouse habits in days of simpler mice... It is also useful to me because it explains why I sometimes got weird results from trying to use a mouse wheel - I must have inadvertently clicked it without realising that I'd done so or even that it was possible to do it...

So thanks, stooz!

Gengulphus

Thank you for reminding me why I don't bother posting on TLF any more.

Adrian

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”