Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

International Shares as part of High Yield Portfolio

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Re: International Shares as part of High Yield Portfolio

Postby Wizard » September 2nd, 2018, 10:26 pm

flyer61 wrote:Here are two more for those who want income and diversification. Always check the tax treatment first before purchase. Both are as ADR's traded in the USA. Could work well in a UK SIPP.

SPKKY Spark https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_New_Zealand

WBK Westpac https://www.westpac.com.au/about-westpa ... or-centre/

SPKKY with a yield of almost 8% looks interesting, maybe too high but need to understand more about NZ environment before deciding on that. Research beckons. Thanks for the tip.

Terry.

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Postby flyer61 » September 3rd, 2018, 8:50 am

Terry,

have a look at Government bond yields etc in NZ and Aus you will see a slightly different interest rate environment to the UK. Higher yields are generally more common in AUS/NZ.

Pastcaring
2 Lemon pips

Postby Pastcaring » September 5th, 2018, 2:33 pm

flyer61 wrote:Here are two more for those who want income and diversification. Always check the tax treatment first before purchase. Both are as ADR's traded in the USA. Could work well in a UK SIPP.

SPKKY Spark https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_New_Zealand

WBK Westpac https://www.westpac.com.au/about-westpa ... or-centre/

Probably it would be better to buy Westpac directly on the ASX. Then you get the benefit of the 30% franking credit ( dividend imputation )WBC. ASX.

I,ve held them since the early 1980 's ,Kerry Packer tried to buy the whole bank in the early 1990,s when they ran into trouble.The government wouldn' t let him.He sold his approx 11% holding to LendLease (LLC. ASX ).

They in turn sold them to fund Blue water near the channel tunnel entrance around 2000.

Packer got in at around $2.80 and sold them 3 or 4 yrs later at around $7.

They are pretty much at a low now ( in my opinion ) having followed the rest of the bank shares down from the highs of April/ May 2015 ( 16 ? ) .They peaked then at around $41, now around $28 ish.

Results come first week roughly in November ,payable 3 rd week in December.I' be done very well out of them using the DRP for 35--36 years.

NAB ASX is better yielding but has been a shocker for capital growth and dividend growth since around 2000 .

Beta shares have a high yielding fund HVST. ASX ( harvester fund,yield is around 12% net which is around 17% gross ,payable monthly).

They started it at pretty much exactly the wrong time,when the 4 banks they depend on were running up to their highs,so that is probably at, or near lows if there is no crash due.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » September 5th, 2018, 10:40 pm

I hold IBM, much prefering them to any UK dividend paying technology company.

Terry.

Moderator Message:
Text edited to remove posters name as requested.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 15th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Moderator Message:
quoted text deleted at request of poster

I like your portfolio but am not sure I would characterize Nvidia as "high yield"

Would probably choose Intel which has rather been left behind in the chip sector, and has a decent yield.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » September 16th, 2018, 8:33 am

Moderator Message:
Just a reminder that this is the "High Yield Shares & Strategies" board. If we could keep the discussion centred on High Yield Shares. Thanks. Raptor.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » September 17th, 2018, 9:48 am

I found myself at a lose end at the weekend, so took a look at the top 400 companies in the S&P500. All of these companies are at least big enough in market cap terms to be in the FTSE top 50. Below are all the companies with a yield over 4.0%.

I have grouped the shares by sector, so it is easy to see that Healthcare REITs and Pipeline Transportation companies seem to be having a tough time in general. Having worked in the motor industry I think it is too cyclical for my purposes so would exclude that. I had never heard of Seagate Technology before and so may have a look at that (particularly the whole Ireland angle), also, based on these numbers I may well look at adding Kraft to my portfolio.

Terry.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » September 17th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Wizard wrote:I have grouped the shares by sector, so it is easy to see that Healthcare REITs and Pipeline Transportation companies seem to be having a tough time in general. Having worked in the motor industry I think it is too cyclical for my purposes so would exclude that. I had never heard of Seagate Technology before and so may have a look at that (particularly the whole Ireland angle), also, based on these numbers I may well look at adding Kraft to my portfolio.

Terry.

When I was in the "business" (30 years in IT) Seagate was a top supplier of Hard Drives and back-up devices. Well respected back then (I dropped out of IT 15 years ago). Based in Cupertino, I lived not far from them in the 80's. In the 17 years I was with IBM they never paid a dividend, times change, but I did make a tidy sum from the "options" at the time.

Good list.

Raptor.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 17th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Wizard wrote:I found myself at a lose end at the weekend, so took a look at the top 400 companies in the S&P500. All of these companies are at least big enough in market cap terms to be in the FTSE top 50. Below are all the companies with a yield over 4.0%.

I have grouped the shares by sector, so it is easy to see that Healthcare REITs and Pipeline Transportation companies seem to be having a tough time in general. Having worked in the motor industry I think it is too cyclical for my purposes so would exclude that.

Good work. Of those I own:

GM (which I think is ridiculously cheap)
Abbvie
IBM
Dominion
Exxon
PM and Altria (which I still think of as the same company)
AT&T

For Tech I'd also choose Intel and Cisco, for dividends.

The REITs and pipeline MLPs are special cases so a direct comparison of the yields isn't always helpful. Also note that some pipeline companies are MLPs with a complex tax situation which may not suit everyone.

Go down a little further in yield and some other quality names become good candidates IMO.

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » September 17th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Wizard wrote:I found myself at a lose end at the weekend, so took a look at the top 400 companies in the S&P500. All of these companies are at least big enough in market cap terms to be in the FTSE top 50. Below are all the companies with a yield over 4.0%.

I have grouped the shares by sector, so it is easy to see that Healthcare REITs and Pipeline Transportation companies seem to be having a tough time in general. Having worked in the motor industry I think it is too cyclical for my purposes so would exclude that. I had never heard of Seagate Technology before and so may have a look at that (particularly the whole Ireland angle), also, based on these numbers I may well look at adding Kraft to my portfolio.

Terry.

Thanks Terry very interesting

I will hold my hands up to holding Kraft in my income/value portfolio. I think it looks reasonably priced on most metrics and is sat in my buy and hold and don't worry about section :) I've also been looking at Williams and am close to pulling the trigger.

Car companies, I'm not sure of, I had a dabble with Daimler earlier on this thread, but in a market with clear overcapacity I'm not sure if want to punt on GM or Ford. Fear they'd be shares I'd be watching like a hawk and There us only so many of those I want to own :)

floyd3592
Lemon Pip

Postby floyd3592 » July 11th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Terry.

Coming to this a bit late but this is a great post in a good thread. I am thinking of setting up a HYP of US shares with a dividend stream paid in dollars to give me an income. This is because I have a USD lump sum to invest and would like to spend 3 months or so each year in the US in retirement. Out of the shares in terry's table above i've select\ted the following: -

Abbvie Inc
IBM
Seagate Technology
PPL Corp
General Mills
Exxon Mobil (XOM)
Duke Energy Corp
Realty Income Corp
Atria Group
Verizon

What are other Fools thoughts on this? Has anything occurred since Terry's post to preclude any of these?

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » July 11th, 2019, 8:29 pm

I bought some Store Capital STOR shares about a year ago when Buffett bought in and the share price has increased about 50% since then, while still paying a 4% dividend. Didn’t see that one mentioned on the list.

MM

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”