Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

"Company Analysis" Board created - some re-ordering of boards

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: "Company Analysis" Board created - some re-ordering of boards

Postby PinkDalek » September 9th, 2018, 10:25 am

Raptor wrote:
Clariman wrote:In fact I don't understand why the Pensions board has the word "practical" or "problems" in its title. Why not just "pensions"?

I always thought the same Clariman. It is one of the forums I follow regularly was a big help when the "new" drawdown rules came into force.

Were not the "new" drawdown rules practical problems?

Non-practical and practical pension problems are also well supported at Retirement Investing (inc FIRE) - Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE) , albeit at Investors' Roundtable rather than Managing Your Finances where Pensions - Practical Problems currently resides.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 9th, 2018, 10:33 am

PinkDalek wrote:many of the topic where individuals are seeking practical advice too often soon get side-tracked into wider aspects of, say, the iniquity of taxation generally and the OP may well lose interest before they've even had the replies they seek.

I think that is mainly a matter for judgement and, failing that, moderation. Some broadening or rounding of a topic can be helpful in providing background and context. But if someone wants to discuss, say, McDonnell's taxation plans for a Labour government then certainly that should go to "Polite".

Hopefully adults can see the distinction between discussing what "is" and discussing what "should be".

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » September 9th, 2018, 10:48 am

Lootman wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:I know you and I will never agree on what should be on-topic on the "professional" boards but, in my view, many of the topic where individuals are seeking practical advice too often soon get side-tracked into wider aspects of, say, the iniquity of taxation generally and the OP may well lose interest before they've even had the replies they seek.

I think that is mainly a matter for judgement and, failing that, moderation. Some broadening or rounding of a topic can be helpful in providing background and context. But if someone wants to discuss, say, McDonnell's taxation plans for a Labour government then certainly that should go to "Polite".

I've reintroduced the first part of my sentence you partially quoted but there should be less need for any moderation involvement if the board were named Taxes - Practical. Without Practical or whatever wording is suggested, such boards could easily became unpractical and a free for all. I wasn't talking about broadening or rounding but, as I said, we'll never agree so I'll leave it there.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » September 9th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Lootman wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:many of the topic where individuals are seeking practical advice too often soon get side-tracked into wider aspects of, say, the iniquity of taxation generally and the OP may well lose interest before they've even had the replies they seek.

Hopefully adults can see the distinction between discussing what "is" and discussing what "should be".

Hopefully 'adults' can indeed see the distinction and keep their political comments to the PD board, rather than a practical board - sadly, although the moniker is there now, this seems impossible for some. Removing it would only make this worse, surely?

viewtopic.php?p=163426#p163426

Mel

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 9th, 2018, 1:58 pm

melonfool wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Hopefully 'adults' can indeed see the distinction and keep their political comments to the PD board, rather than a practical board

I suppose what I should have said was that on TMF there were really three places for discussing (say) taxes.

1) Political discussions about taxes could go to LOST there, the equivalent here is "Polite".

2) Practical and literal questions went to Taxes - Practical there, and here too.

3) Then there was a third board on TMF: "Taxes - General" or something like that. And it is those "middle of the road" tax topics that have no home on TLF.

Now you could just say "dump them all into Polite". But then we all know that Polite is a quagmire where otherwise interesting and informative discussions go to die, implode or become an ideological football for the usual suspects. So I had assumed that non-practical, non-political topics about taxes go in "Practical", rather than die or become orphans. And if they become too political then they get moved. If not then no harm is done.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » September 9th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Maybe we can stop referring back to TMF and make TLF what people want it to be? I can't see how what TMF had is even relevant nearly two years later.

Mel

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 9th, 2018, 3:01 pm

melonfool wrote:Maybe we can stop referring back to TMF and make TLF what people want it to be? I can't see how what TMF had is even relevant nearly two years later.

Fine with me, but somebody made the point that some of the TLF board titles were inherited from TMF and may not make so much sense here, and that was the idea that I was running with.

I don't necessarily expect you to know the answer to this so I will just ask it generally. Suppose I want to discuss a tax avoidance strategy that is offered by company XYZ. Assume it appears to be perfectly legal but may or may not be effective.

If I take that to Polite, then the lefties will gang up on me and tell me I should not be avoiding tax.

If I take it to Taxes - Practical (which is where I would take it right now) then someone might say "Hey, that's not really a practical question and so doesn't belong here".

So where does it go?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 9th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Lootman wrote:
melonfool wrote:Maybe we can stop referring back to TMF and make TLF what people want it to be? I can't see how what TMF had is even relevant nearly two years later.

Fine with me, but somebody made the point that some of the TLF board titles were inherited from TMF and may not make so much sense here, and that was the idea that I was running with.

I don't necessarily expect you to know the answer to this so I will just ask it generally. Suppose I want to discuss a tax avoidance strategy that is offered by company XYZ. Assume it appears to be perfectly legal but may or may not be effective.

If I take that to Polite, then the lefties will gang up on me and tell me I should not be avoiding tax.

If I take it to Taxes - Practical (which is where I would take it right now) then someone might say "Hey, that's not really a practical question and so doesn't belong here".

So where does it go?

To me it would go on a plain old "Taxes" board. To be honest, I'd still say that was a "practical" tax discussion - (whether or not I agreed with the idea).

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » September 9th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Lootman wrote:If I take that to Polite, then the lefties will gang up on me and tell me I should not be avoiding tax.

Dear god.

Lootman wrote:If I take it to Taxes - Practical (which is where I would take it right now) then someone might say "Hey, that's not really a practical question and so doesn't belong here".

So where does it go?

TLF does not HAVE to provide somewhere for every single thought that pops into anyone's head, why should they? Though the example you give is a practical question anyway.

There's nowhere for me to post about what dress to buy but you don't hear me bleating about it.

Mel

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 9th, 2018, 3:24 pm

melonfool wrote:There's nowhere for me to post about what dress to buy but you don't hear me bleating about it.l

I was not bleating. I was asking a question, which Clariman kindly answered.

I'm sure he would be receptive to a fashion board if there was sufficient interest.

Moderator Message:
Minor edit to stop discussion going at even more of a tangent. Clariman

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 9th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Lootman wrote:I suppose what I should have said was that on TMF there were really three places for discussing (say) taxes.

1) Political discussions about taxes could go to LOST there, the equivalent here is "Polite".

2) Practical and literal questions went to Taxes - Practical there, and here too.

3) Then there was a third board on TMF: "Taxes - General" or something like that. And it is those "middle of the road" tax topics that have no home on TLF.

On checking the archived TMF Boards A to Z*, the two tax boards on TMF were Taxes – Practical Issues and Taxes – Socio-Political Issues, and judging from at least the final thread** on the latter it looks pretty political to me -- unsurprisingly, given the board name! :D

* https://web.archive.org/web/20170717073926/http://www.fool.co.uk/help/community/boards-a-to-z/#t
** https://web.archive.org/web/20161108204012/http://boards.fool.co.uk/wealth-tax--13413534.aspx?sort=postdate

Yeah, I agree, although it does help explain some of how we got here from there.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 9th, 2018, 4:42 pm

mc2fool wrote:On checking the archived TMF Boards A to Z*, the two tax boards on TMF were Taxes – Practical Issues and Taxes – Socio-Political Issues, and judging from at least the final thread** on the latter it looks pretty political to me -- unsurprisingly, given the board name! :D

Ha, yeah, with that board title they were asking for trouble :D

What I had more in mind was a tax topic that isn't political in nature but also was not a particular problem or question that required a practical solution or advice. Rather a place to discuss tax issues in general.

I wasn't asking for a new board. Only that it be OK to ask such questions on Taxes - Practical and I think Clariman said that is reasonable. I did think that dropping the suffix "Practical" might be a good idea but I can see how that might lead some to go too far off-topic. Not me of course ;)

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 9th, 2018, 9:58 pm

melonfool wrote:
There's nowhere for me to post about what dress to buy but you don't hear me bleating about it.

Mel

Technical Analysis?

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”