Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hattrick Season 69

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Re: Hattrick Season 69

Postby Donut102 » September 3rd, 2018, 11:22 am

Been away for a couple of weeks.

League campaign progressing nicely. With 2 straight forward wins.

I got dumped out the Cup in R5 in spectacular style. Opponent posted Hatstats of 476, away from home. I didn't really stand a chance. Is this normal? He was a very good Div II team, but even so...
Still R5 is a record for my club.

Promoted a YA player, Excellent Def, Solid Pass, aged 17 0 days. I'm training PM for this season, and will then switch to Def. He's a great prospect, shame about the Technical skill.

8 of my first XI are now home grown.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » September 3rd, 2018, 11:39 am

Donut102 wrote:Promoted a YA player, Excellent Def, Solid Pass, aged 17 0 days. I'm training PM for this season, and will then switch to Def. He's a great prospect, shame about the Technical skill.

Great? Train him right surely he's got U21 potential? Or at least on the fringes given it's week 5 now.

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » September 3rd, 2018, 1:36 pm

Technical defenders are more useful than they used to be with a SE (CA) potential (although I've never seen it work).

I bought your defender Ian, pleasure doing business with you. He'll play in R6 tonight.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » September 4th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Oh dear, away to league leaders, tried PIC and CA again (why, I dont know, it didnt work last time) and it didnt work again this time. Lost 6-0 away, we stay in 7th on 4 pts, with a GD-15, two other teams also have 4pts,they have GDs of -3 and -4.
We are at home to 4th next, then away and home to 2nd after that, followed by 4th again, away. Yes, these are not easy games....the oppos are pulling 60-100 hatstats more than us, on average. ....

e

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » September 10th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Still struggling....was at home to the team that has gone into second place, didnt fancy our chances so it was press pic and pray.
And it almost worked - we went down 0-1 to an 83rd minute penalty, so in 'open play' we held our own.

So, just to cheer me up, the back to backs coming up are against the team in 3rd, who are the only undefeated team in our league to date.

We stay in 7th, but there is a faint, remote possibility we might be able to aspire to 6th place and a qualifier. So that is our target.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » September 11th, 2018, 9:50 am

When was it? Last week I sell a mature but still decent defender to Bink while there's still a little value in him, sub is now my 37 year old player/manager, okay but poor stamina and skills are dropping. Yeah, you know what's coming, a +4 injury to my CD, at 33, I ain't speeding that up am I? Ho hum. Perhaps that's why I have money in the bank. Or play 2-5-3 for a bit.

That aside, we were away to 7th, I was pretty sure I would have the upper hand, but not so sure as to try and get away with a PIC, they're pretty handy defensively and in attack but not much in the midfield. 0-2 at halftime seemed to make it look easy. Then there were a few worrying minutes after they pulled it back to 1-2, but we banged in another couple to make it a 1-4 final score.

Obviously that means I stay in first, but the chasing pack are tripping over each other, 2nd lost to 3rd, and 4th and 5th won, so 2nd slipped all the way to 5th. The four of them are two points apart. I'm five points ahead of the new 2nd place. Which is nice.

The double header is against 6th, me at home next week. Hopefully I can destroy their confidence in the first game to soften them up for the second game and do the double on them. That said, they've not won since week 1, so their confidence should already be pretty shot.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » September 17th, 2018, 9:26 am

Halfway then! How we doing?

I was at home to 6th, and reckoned I could get away with a PIC thanks to their poor midfield, and had to go 2-5-3 thanks to injuries in defence. It was a game of two halves, ritalin in the halftime oranges maybe, the first half ended 4-2, we added one more for a 5-2 final score. Chances 9-2, so I guess my lack of defence lead to those goals. Still, a decent result.

So still first in the league, while 2nd and 3rd both lost to 4th and 5th, so I'm now 6 points ahead of 2nd. While 3 points separate 2nd-5th. How the fixtures lay I think I've had the slightly easier first half, and have a couple of tricky away fixtures, so it's early days, but hopefully we can keep this momentum going so we can get up to III and get humped every week. ;)

Ian

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » September 17th, 2018, 11:02 am

In 2nd position, at home to 3rd. They looked useful and went 253 on a PIN. I've got 3 players out of form plus one injured, but thought I should do OK.
I had the majority of possession, but the injury and form issues meant I didn't capitalise. Final result 1-1.

League leader also drew, so I stay within reach at just 3 points behind.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » September 17th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Away to second, and press PIC and pray tactics help us keep the score down to a 4-0 defeat.
Which leaves us in 7th, the only saving grace being that 8th and 6th also lost, so the dream of getting to 6th remains in place...

Its the 5th hardest series in IV, and feels like it. So next week we have the same team, except at home. Not sure how to play that one, we are not likely to win MF so maybe we have to work to keep the score down again!

e

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » September 18th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Half season.

That didn't take long. I'm in 7th, as 8th is also rebuilding, and are weaker, which is where I picked up my 3pts.

5% training is going well, the two 'expensive' trainees both popped to excellent scoring before half-season, and I only started training scoring a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately my home grown PNF yoof has revealed some poor limitations to his passing AND playmaking, which means that he's a lot less exciting than I'd hoped he'd be. Still a nice prospect though, and the home grown bonus should help.

In Oceania, I've been training Set Pieces until a couple of weeks ago to help boost the sale price of the GKs I'd trained in defending. Having sold a couple, I bought a couple of PNFs and a set piece taking Wb trainee, and once out of the Cup turned my attention to the league where I'd been flirting with 7th for awhile. We're up to 5th now, winning the first leg of the double header 0-1 against the team now in 6th 1pt behind me. I'd prefer a playoff place for the xp, and am 5pts off 4th and 4pts ahead of 7th, so that's looking good. I have switched to PM training for the rest of the season (a tertiary skill requirement for my 4 principal full-back trainees - and to improve the PNF chance creation potential for my 2 new forwards).

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » September 24th, 2018, 9:16 am

The second half of the double header, and we're away to 7th, have a good look at the ratings and decide we can't be too careful, shipping two goals last week means they won't be on their knees confidence wise. We bought a new wingback during the week, as my main centre-back was injured, hmm, that makes no sense, oh, and my 37 y/o player coach wingback is on a plaster, so really time to replace him, yeah, that's what I was thinking, for sure. Anyway, whatever my reasoning, we're now £3.8m poorer. Thanks to the new blood, we could line up in a pretty standard 3-5-2, I thought we'd still have the edge in midfield, and so it proved to be, but only 47/53%.

Safe to say the first half of the match didn't go well, with an injury my best winger, his replacement having much worse playmaking and form, and another to my remaining centre back, replaced by my player/coach wingback who's on a plaster already. This swung possession to 49/51%, now definitely in coin toss territory. Oh, and we shipped two goals as well to go 2-0 down.

Second half went much better, as we levelled up the game on 78 minutes, and that was how it stayed, final score 2-2. Chances were 5-5, so I guess a fair result, and certainly a better result than the first half led me to believe would happen, a point rescued rather than two points dropped.

Obviously, still top of the league, 2nd only drew, and drops to 3rd, and I'm 6 points clear of the chasing pack on 20, and when I say pack, 2nd has 14 points, while 6th has 10 points, so it's pretty tight behind me, and I hope that continues so teams have to keep looking over their shoulder and not up at me. My second draw of the season (still unbeaten in the league) means I'm literally on the cusp of auto-promotion now, in 33rd, the team below the line.

Next week we're at home to 6th, thanks to both CDs being injured, it's going to be a 2-5-3, as I've not got much choice now, they always play AIM, so my formation writes itself.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » September 24th, 2018, 10:11 am

I was in 2nd, playing 3rd away from home.
In the first leg we were held to a draw, so I knew this would be more tricky.
Although I would win midfield, the opponent had a good defense across the board limiting opportunities to convert. I had one striker injured, and considered dropping from 253 down to 352. However my defense is pants and I was going to ship goals no matter how many I had in defense. Midfield was more important to prevent opportunities arising in the first place, and I decided to go for 253 AIM with 2 x WTM to at least penetrate one sector.

Obviously one of my other strikers got injured after 16 minutes, which nerfed any opportunity to score a goal. They scored 3 :(

I drop down to 3rd, 6 points behind the league leader, and 1 point behind 2nd.
1st play 2nd in Week 11, and I play 1st in Week 14. We should all win our other matches.
Mathematically I cant see a way to the win the league now other than if they screw up

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » September 25th, 2018, 1:16 am

I'm doing well keeping up my record of not scoring goals and losing almost every match.
Went down 0-2 at home to the team in second, to stay in seventh and a point off sixth.
Next game is away to fourth, which inevitably means another defeat, unless I can find some inspiration and about £15m to buy a new team :D

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » September 30th, 2018, 3:55 pm

My second team was in 5th away to 4th yesterday, and I opted to play powerful 2 fullbacks as sitting midfielders.

They had 57-60% of the ball and 5 chances to 4. One of my sitting midfielder snuffed out 3 chances, so that split would have been 8 to 4. That's a useful sort of hattrick. We won the game 0-1 thanks to a free kick, and move 1pt above them and up to 4th. After 9 games we've scored 9 and let in 8. Given that the teams in 7th and 8th both lost 5-0 yesterday, that's not particularly inspiring but we have picked up 14 points (4 wins and 2 draws) so I mustn't grumble.

England beat Brazil on Friday. I know it's only a friendly but still, that was fun!

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » October 1st, 2018, 9:15 am

I was confident about Sunday's match, at home to 6th. Had to play 2-5-3 thanks to injuries, but my oppo would lose possession and plays 4-4-2 AIM every match. So "keep the ball and score" was my genius plan. I even PICd. Of course, they scored first, we missed a chance, they missed a couple more, and it was 2-1 at the break. We scored a penalty early in the second half, and we both missed a few more chances. Final score 3-1. Chances were 7-4, so a fair result I'd say.

Still first in the league, but once again the chasing pack tripped each other up, 3rd beating 2nd. We're now seven points clear. We've edged back over the auto promotion line too. I'm still not convinced, the wheels could easily come off. Next week we're away to 8th, the last relatively easy match, then away to 2nd, home to 3rd, away to 5th and finally home to 4th. Both the away matches look like coin flips, or close to it, as does my last home match. Staying above the auto-promotion line is going to be a challenge, hopefully the momentum is with me.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » October 1st, 2018, 11:17 am

In 3rd place, playing 7th. A relatively easy game on paper, but sent the first team out 253 PIC.
After 26 minutes we were 3-0 up and cruising, so conditional orders kicked in. All 3 strikers came off, and replace by 3 future coaches for a bit of experience training. Dominant in possession and defense there was little risk to this tactic, and we even knocked in a couple more for good measure. Final score 5-0.

Still leaves me in 3rd, and really need one of the top two teams to slip up to have a shot at the title.

Bink:
One of my sitting midfielder snuffed out 3 chances

Out of interest, what were the skills in PM & Def, and how good was your opponent?
I have a HG sitting midfielder being trained up. Currently PM =13, Def = 3, Pass = 10. As I dominate possession in most games, I tend to play him either normal or offensive to make use of the passing skill, but on the odd occasion I do play defensively he normally presses 1 chance away.
I understand the ME compares Def of the sitting midfielder to the Score of the forward - but with a Def of 3 I would not expect him to be effective (even in Div V). Therefore I must be "lucky".

The HT blog states that with 2 sitting midfielders, the chance to press a chance away is 10% for 1 PDIM, 16% for 2, and 20% for 3.
So for your opponent 8 chances vs 2 x PDIM = 1.28 occasions. You managed to get 3 occasions which is "lucky".

Along with some of the conversation we've had about PNF, it does feel that the ME is favouring these new special positions. I cant back that up with any data, and I'm not sure that looking at matches in lower divisions would give the right data.
Its not until you're at the pointy end of a competition (Div I or II, and Cup) and playing teams full of specialities with skills of titanic+ that you'll get a real measure of the effectiveness.

I would guess as England manager you do not have a cohort of PNFs and PDIMs to choose from, but is there talk of the effectiveness of these players at the International level or by the Prem managers?

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » October 3rd, 2018, 2:34 pm

The one that did the snuffing popped to poor playmaking last week. He's got supernatural+75% (so nearly titanic) defendering.

The opposition midfielders were all over 38 so it is likely that they were toilet.

It does seem to be a useful position to field regulalry. My second team is now exclusively quick & powerful players, and I intend to keep it that way.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » October 8th, 2018, 8:46 am

Routine 5-0 win leaves me in 3rd on 22 points.
1st place slipped up this week, on 25 points. 2nd playing well on 23 points.

Next week 1st play 2nd. I play 1st in the last game of the season.
If 1st win, then I have a shot at the title in that final game. If they lose or draw, its pretty much all over.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » October 8th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Routine for me too, 0-4 away to 8th, though didn't fancy risking a PIC just in case I got an overconfidence event. With a 0-4 scoreline that was probably the right decision. Still 7 points clear of 2nd. In an auto promotion slot a few places above MUSX I guess, same points but more goals.

Tricky match next away to 4th, "it will be a close affair" say the fans, looks like a coin toss to me. Hopefully I'll come up with a better plan than that by Friday.

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » October 8th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Had a routine 1-7 loss in England, and a 1-1 draw against a top 3 side in Oceania. No snuff this week, and one of my PNFs took a late knock so will have to miss PM training this week.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”