Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Gadge GIP new investment options and half year review

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
HYPMonkey

Re: Gadge GIP new investment options and half year review

Postby HYPMonkey » August 5th, 2018, 10:06 pm

Super.

I am always interested to read about GIP.

Very much looking forward to end of year review and numbers.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 8th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Gadge wrote:NAIT - This will increase expose again to equities in what should be a well diversified portfolio but will increase our exposure to US Blue Chips, get a decent income and is not investing in US tech which I feel is due a pull back at least.

TRY - This would partner well with SLI, increase our property/diversity, get us income and hopefully help with growth.

FGT - This would increase our exposure to UK shares but buy us more growthy shares with growing dividends. I like Nick Train’s style. There is some cross over with CTY holdings though with Diageo/Unilever and maybe more.

Hi Gadge, If you recall I also run an IT portfolio, mine is growth and income focussed.

As I understood it your GIP portfolio is income focussed, and if so, I wonder therefore why you are considering adding NAIT, FGT and TRY.

NAIT (which I also hold) currently offers a yield of 2.9%. It has grown well over the last 3 years and I have top-sliced my holding and was even pondering whether to reduce it further, as the US is considered over valued and due a correction. (Noted the dividend income on cost (YOC), for an existing holder, is higher, but not for a new purchaser.

FGT (which I also hold), whilst it is in the UK G&I sector, (and holds quality stocks) again the yield is low, currently around 1.69%, mainly due to its good growth.

TRY I am aware is a European focussed property trust, with a middle of the road yield, - 2.86%. There are better income paying property stocks out there.

Indeed IF you are wanting to maximise dividend income, there are surely better choices out than all three of the above, or have I misunderstood your objective? Is your objective: growth with some income?

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 10th, 2018, 10:09 am

Hi Gadge, Thanks for your comprehensive response. Noted that you are also focussing on TR and thus growth is included in the portfolio objectives.

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » August 15th, 2018, 6:44 am

Hi Gadge.

It would be good to see an up to date list of holdings and their values within the GIP.

Just a thought - do you consider top ups to existing holdings, or are you specifically looking to expand the number of ITs in the portfolio?

Regards
MP

OZYU
2 Lemon pips

Postby OZYU » August 15th, 2018, 7:40 am

Gadge,

I am not up to date with the composition(last time I looked you had 14 holdings, many of which we hold in different portfolios), but if it is not in there, then I think IBT is worth considering on a long term basis, because Biotech might be volatile, but this field is bound to be increasingly lively on the corporate front and clinically productive in the future. If I was to chose between IBT and JPS, IBT would get my vote, but if there is room/funds, then holding both would do as two separate valid themes.

How is the basket performing?

Ozyu

Disc We held BIOG and switched to IBT a while ago when it switched policy.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 12th, 2018, 8:20 am

Gadge wrote:I took a look at this video.
Liked the guy and would love to buy it but it is a Fund and my preference is for ITs where possible in GIP.

Eh? It is an IT. Jupiter Emerging & Frontier Income (JEFI) investment trust.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 12th, 2018, 9:06 am

Hi Gadge, If you are bold enough to look at Emerging Markets currently, there is a JP Morgan Global Emerging Market Income trust (JEMI) with a 4.39% yield.

http://citywire.co.uk/money/investment- ... undID=3472

Sector:
http://citywire.co.uk/money/investment- ... ePeriod=12

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 13th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Gadge wrote:I was talking about this fund ...

https://www.jupiteram.com/UK/en/Individ ... 00B4PF5918

Uh? You said:
Gadge wrote:I took a look at this video.
Liked the guy and would love to buy it but it is a Fund and my preference is for ITs where possible in GIP.

http://citywire.co.uk/investment-trust- ... st-insider

I don't know how you made the leap to "it" being that fund from the page with the video, especially as the page is headed "Investment Trust Insider" and the first words immediately below the video are:

"Jupiter Emerging & Frontier Income (JEFI) investment trust raised £90 million at its flotation last year. Fund manager Ross Teverson visited our studio to explain how he is looking to generate a 4% dividend yield from smaller and medium-sized companies in some of the fastest growing economies in the world." :!:

Gadge wrote:Senior moment. :roll:

Perhaps that should be moments :D

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 22nd, 2018, 11:24 pm

Hi Gadge,

I had held JLIF (and INPP), but sold JLIF and took the profit when the offer was made, so I had been looking for where to put those funds. In the end I bought a half holding in GCP. (JM and the possibility of a labour government makes me a bit wary of the sector).

I also topped up MYI for the income, defensive manager and EM exposure.

Look forward to the next review at Xmas.

JuanDB
2 Lemon pips

Postby JuanDB » September 24th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Hi Gadge,

How are you calculating the 5% yield on Greencoat. It has a limited track record and current year seems to be about 3% or just under.

Thanks,

Juan

Return to “Investment Strategies”