Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Passport renewal

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Passport renewal

Postby Bouleversee » September 14th, 2018, 1:54 pm

I've still not got around to renewing my passport and although I have no plans to go abroad in the immediate future, I am wondering whether I ought to renew it before things go pear shaped as a result of Brexit but presumably that would still be an EU passport so if Brexit is finalised for how long would it still be valid or would I have to then apply for a UK one?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Passport renewal

Postby swill453 » September 14th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I've still not got around to renewing my passport and although I have no plans to go abroad in the immediate future, I am wondering whether I ought to renew it before things go pear shaped as a result of Brexit but presumably that would still be an EU passport so if Brexit is finalised for how long would it still be valid or would I have to then apply for a UK one?

Despite stories in the media, I doubt very much whether the colour of your passport, or its date of issue (whether pre- or post- Brexit) will make any difference whatsoever.

Why on earth would, say, France treat you any differently just because you hold a passport that was issued while the UK was still in the EU?

They'll treat us all the same, for better or worse.

Scott.

BTW, if you renew early you don't get to carry any validity forward any more. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13670

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 14th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Thanks, swill. Mine expired quite a while ago. (I didn't renew it then because at that time there was no possibility of my travelling anywhere.) I trust this won't create any problems?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 14th, 2018, 2:57 pm

I would have thought a UK/British passport is a UK/British passport whatever colour it is or whether or not it has European Union on the cover or not.

didds

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 14th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Mine expired quite a while ago. (I didn't renew it then because at that time there was no possibility of my travelling anywhere.) I trust this won't create any problems?

Some countries will not admit you if you have less than 3 or 6 months left on your passport. So as a rule I apply to renew several months before expiry and when I know I won't be travelling for a few weeks.

I'm not aware of any penalty for renewing after expiry. But I would never want to be in a position where I could not travel at short notice because of the lack of a passport. As it happens I have a second passport so that could never happen anyway, but I prefer not to use it except for special circumstances e.g. not wanting to have a stamp for certain countries on my main passport.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 14th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Thanks, Lootman. You are right. Now that I am no longer detained caring for my husband, I had better get on with it in case anything happens to one of my sprogs when they are travelling even if I have no plans to travel otherwise. The reason I didn't renew before it expired was that the Photo-Me photographs I had taken for the purpose were so hideous I planned to get some done elsewhere but never got around to it. Perhaps I have been kidding myself that other photos might be better anyway and I have to face up to reality :(

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 14th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Thanks, swill. Mine expired quite a while ago. (I didn't renew it then because at that time there was no possibility of my travelling anywhere.) I trust this won't create any problems?

My wife recently renewed her passport. The old one expired in 2012. We took a photo on our camera, submitted it online, sent off the old passport, and got the new passport within 1 week.

--kiloran

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 14th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Thanks. Perhaps I'll let my sprogs have a go at taking some photos of me.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 14th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Have you guys seen references to not being able to renew passports in advance and not lose the unexpired time?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news ... al-policy/

Slarti

newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Postby newlyretired » September 14th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Slarti wrote:Have you guys seen references to not being able to renew passports in advance and not lose the unexpired time?

Yes, it's referenced in the second post in this thread

newlyretired

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 14th, 2018, 4:11 pm

newlyretired wrote:
Slarti wrote:Have you guys seen references to not being able to renew passports in advance and not lose the unexpired time?

Yes, it's referenced in the second post in this thread

newlyretired

Missed the BTW at the bottom :(

Slarti

Return to “Does anyone know?”