Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Barclays Voice Security

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Barclays Voice Security

Postby Bouleversee » October 1st, 2018, 12:24 pm

Barclays have offered me some voice recognition security system to obviate the need for providing personal information if I telephone, which I rarely do. Is this a good idea? Is it guaranteed to work properly and to be safe? It would certainly be useful on occasions such as last week when an ATM swallowed my card without giving me any money and I did not have the tbn etc. with me.

If this is not the correct board, perhaps the mod. would kindly transfer.

Moderator Message:
I am transferring this to "Computers, TV, Phones" viewforum.php?f=39 where the relevant suspiciously inclined and technically knowledgeable people hang out. I'm leaving this as a shadow. regards, dspp

dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Barclays Voice Security

Postby dspp » October 1st, 2018, 10:38 pm

Can anyone help ? So far I have been ignoring the equivalent thing from HSBC ........

regards, dspp

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 2nd, 2018, 12:52 pm

Being somewhat paranoid about new systems, I wouldn't go for it unless it had worked without error for at least a year, which the Barclay's one hasn't

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39965545

Slarti

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 2nd, 2018, 1:07 pm

Thanks for that link, Slarti. When the Barclays chap suggested voice security, I did suggest that a good mimic might fool it and said I would leave it for the present and think about it. I think I'll leave it at that for the time being.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 2nd, 2018, 1:19 pm

Bearing in mind the major banks recent history with online banking outages I wouldn't rely on their IT 'innovations' currently.
Voice recognition can be thrown by things like heavy colds or accents even if it is the intended user.

I fondly remember the old days of DTMF strings for telephone banking, a bit fiddly initially but it always worked, especially once I saved a load of DTMF options strings to my Nokia 9110.
Do any of the banks still do DTMF as a telephone banking option? I wouldn't mind reactivating it as a plan B with all these online outages.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 2nd, 2018, 1:41 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Thanks for that link, Slarti. When the Barclays chap suggested voice security, I did suggest that a good mimic might fool it and said I would leave it for the present and think about it. I think I'll leave it at that for the time being.

Indeed. I've read some accounts of this in the techie press, but I haven't followed it closely enough to offer useful advice. From memory, the systems do a great job distinguishing different speakers in a general corpus of speech samples, but issues like mimics, trained voices, or family resemblances may not have been so well studied.

Statistically speaking, the question of interest is slightly different. It's not "is there someone out there who sounds exactly like me" (likely), but rather "does a fraudster targeting my account sound like me" (vastly less likely, even if they've heard the real you). The most likely mimics are probably members of your family: in addition to the genetic similarity, they'll naturally share a lot of your mannerisms. I find all the adult male members of my family - from my dad to my older nephews - very similar on the 'phone.

I'd treat it as additional to other security: perhaps allow it alone for non-sensitive queries but not for accessing actual money.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 2nd, 2018, 3:09 pm

I'm not sure how you would be able to do one without the other.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 2nd, 2018, 3:20 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Statistically speaking, the question of interest is slightly different. It's not "is there someone out there who sounds exactly like me" (likely), but rather "does a fraudster targeting my account sound like me" (vastly less likely, even if they've heard the real you). The most likely mimics are probably members of your family: in addition to the genetic similarity, they'll naturally share a lot of your mannerisms. I find all the adult male members of my family - from my dad to my older nephews - very similar on the 'phone.

I wonder how it would handle a recording of the account holder's voice being played back?

Slarti

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 2nd, 2018, 3:39 pm

Slarti wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Statistically speaking, the question of interest is slightly different. It's not "is there someone out there who sounds exactly like me" (likely), but rather "does a fraudster targeting my account sound like me" (vastly less likely, even if they've heard the real you). The most likely mimics are probably members of your family: in addition to the genetic similarity, they'll naturally share a lot of your mannerisms. I find all the adult male members of my family - from my dad to my older nephews - very similar on the 'phone.

I wonder how it would handle a recording of the account holder's voice being played back?

Slarti

You'd hope the initial part of the ID security check would be some sort of random question, like what is 2+2? or similar, to avoid the issue of voice bots or recordings being used. As AI gets better though I'm sure even that would get gamed. Random 'telephone marketing' calls as a way to harvest voice prints for keywords seems an obvious route...

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”