Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby odysseus2000 » October 5th, 2018, 11:00 pm

BobbyD wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Fake twitter accounts. See e.g.:

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/0 ... spot-them/

where she presents 4 tweets:

The Washington Post notes that out of this list, only the first account is for the president, whereas the others are all just look-alikes:

@RealDonaldTrump
@ReaIDonaldTrump
@ReaIDonaIdTrump
@RealDonaIdTrump

If you study these carefully you will agree with the Washington Post. Having a l in your twitter account makes you relatively easy to impersonate which was how all the Musk bitcoin scams were done.

It is very easy to get mislead with twitter accounts.

Regards,

Seriously?

Tesla share price down 7% the day following all major news networks carrying stories about Musk mocking the SEC, the company says nothing, and you think it might have been a fake account?

Hell, the account is 9 years old and has 5600 tweets, and 22.8M followers... and it's a verified account!

I was simply pointing out that a lot of what one finds on Twitter is fake, the authenticity of a lot of the followup stuff to Musk's original tweets needs to be verified and major newspapers and media have been caught out.

Still as you noted that short was the way to play Tesla you presumably made a killing today. Well done!

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 5th, 2018, 11:31 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
I was simply pointing out that a lot of what one finds on Twitter is fake, the authenticity of a lot of the followup stuff to Musk's original tweets needs to be verified and major newspapers and media have been caught out.

Still as you noted that short was the way to play Tesla you presumably made a killing today. Well done!

Regards,

You do have a habit of pointing this out immediately after Musk has said something silly on twitter...

The follow ups are just colour, the substance is the Musk tweet, and it's timing.

I've never made or lost a penny on Tesla, roller-coasters aren't my thing.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 8th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Here I believe a fake site reached via tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/lelonmnusk/s ... 13568?s=21

https://telegra.ph/Elon-official-10-08

Kind of looks very authentic though, at first glance till you look at the spelling of elonmusk

I would wager that this has caught folk out

Regards,

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » October 8th, 2018, 1:07 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Here I believe a fake site reached via tweet:

Kind of looks very authentic though, at first glance till you look at the spelling of elonmusk

Regards,

I can think of one person that has probably caught out . . .

HYD

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 8th, 2018, 4:24 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Here I believe a fake site reached via tweet:

Regards,

I've no idea who lelonmusk is and I'm not sure what your point is. The twitter account with the undenied tweet sent the day before the stock fell 7% was the same account as the previous tweets which have got him in to trouble, for which he has been pursued by the SEC, and which is verified by Twitter...

If it wasn't his account do you not think he might atleast have told the SEC...?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 8th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Are Tesla this safe or is this all fake:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tesla/status ... 4321087488

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 8th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Tesla were heavily criticised for doing their own seats, but did they do a good job or is this fake:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yEkmPaoBY ... e=youtu.be

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 8th, 2018, 9:17 pm

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 8th, 2018, 9:36 pm

I put this on the 'Quotation of the Day' topic elsewhere just earlier, but since this thread was the precise next Notification in my in-tray I thought I'd post it here too:

''Short sellers make $645m from Elon Musk tweets attacking short sellers'. - A headline in today's Telegraph.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 8th, 2018, 9:52 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:I put this on the 'Quotation of the Day' topic elsewhere just earlier, but since this thread was the precise next Notification in my in-tray I thought I'd post it here too:

''Short sellers make $645m from Elon Musk tweets attacking short sellers'. - A headline in today's Telegraph.

Yes, Tesla has been the trading vehicle par-excellence and has made traders (including me) a lot of dosh this year.

It was with regret that many traders saw the take Tesla private tweet, fearing that one of the great gravy trains was likely being taken away from them.

Regards,

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » October 8th, 2018, 9:57 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
DiamondEcho wrote:I put this on the 'Quotation of the Day' topic elsewhere just earlier, but since this thread was the precise next Notification in my in-tray I thought I'd post it here too:

Yes, Tesla has been the trading vehicle par-excellence and has made traders (including me) a lot of dosh this year.

Did you really make a lot of money this year or is that statement as fake as you think Musk's tweets are?

HYD

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » October 8th, 2018, 9:58 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Tesla were heavily criticised for doing their own seats, but did they do a good job or is this fake:

Regards,

A colleague has one of these. His are white if I recall correctly. Yeah, they clean up good. I'd probably choose them myself* I could buy a Model 3 estate (aka station wagon for the USians around here) if they were a) available and b) affordable and c) on-street slow-charging were available, but I digress.

Did you notice that this chap had a seat replaced at 25,000 miles due to "some stitching issues".

There is the problem I was hinting at. (see my #171595 Postby dspp » October 5th, 2018, 9:14 am). Occasionally I know what I am talking about :)
regards, dspp

P.S. Who actually made the particular seat in question ? Seats are hard for everybody.

* the aircon in Summer when parked issue. Not because I want to look like a pimp on vacation (though they tend to prefer the two-tone look).

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 8th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

Did you really make a lot of money this year or is that statement as fake as you think Musk's tweets are?

HYD

Tesla has been one of my best trading vehicles this year.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 9th, 2018, 8:15 am

dspp wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Tesla were heavily criticised for doing their own seats, but did they do a good job or is this fake:

Regards,

A colleague has one of these. His are white if I recall correctly. Yeah, they clean up good. I'd probably choose them myself* I could buy a Model 3 estate (aka station wagon for the USians around here) if they were a) available and b) affordable and c) on-street slow-charging were available, but I digress.

Did you notice that this chap had a seat replaced at 25,000 miles due to "some stitching issues".

There is the problem I was hinting at. (see my #171595 Postby dspp » October 5th, 2018, 9:14 am). Occasionally I know what I am talking about :)
regards, dspp

P.S. Who actually made the particular seat in question ? Seats are hard for everybody.

* the aircon in Summer when parked issue. Not because I want to look like a pimp on vacation (though they tend to prefer the two-tone look).

The article demonstrates many of the issues with social media and informations reliability.

We don't know whether these were Tesla made or not.

What were they made from? At other times I have heard folk say the seats in the model S and X are leather but those in the 3 are not. But this video suggests that the seats in his car which I believe is an S are synthetic and treated with some kind of stay clean coating.

We also don't know how common the stitching issue problems that led to a replacement of his rear seats are.

Lots of questions but the quoted production numbers are large and the number of "Tesla are poor quality" articles is not that great given the number of cars Tesla is selling, but is this because folk love Tesla and won't complain or are the cars well made? One always sees these "iPhones are rubbish" articles after a new iPhone is launched, things like antenna gate, but folk keep buying iPhones.

I try and look at the big picture and the general mood music of the social media along with what ever facts are clear such as production numbers.

If one takes out the Musk tweet storms it looks to me that Tesla are doing well for such a young company, outselling BMW in the US is to me a significant data point.

If one looks at the Tesla share price it has lost and more all the recovery after the SEC settlement. This however in a very weak market for tech with last nights revelation that Google+ had been hacked and although the company knew they said nothing for years; similar issues at Facebook. Moreover many funds have made a lot of money in tech this year and so that natural tendency is to grab profits and wait to see if re-entries at lower prices look sensible.

As Musk mentioned in one of his conferences calls if you can't handle volatility stay away from Tesla stock and this applies to many of their tech cousins. They are currently predominantly traders stock with lots of the profit giving movement that traders seek. But if Tesla continue to execute there is likely imho much higher prices ahead for the stock. Most people given what I read in the social media have no idea how to trade and no idea how to avoid being influenced by the media. These kinds of folk are likely to sell low and buy high and are probably best staying away from volatile stuff like Tesla or if they feel a great need to have positions sized such that if they go to zero it is not crippling. The effort and discipline needed to learn to trade is likely too much for most folk to handle.

Regards,

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » October 9th, 2018, 9:41 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
dspp wrote:

Regards,

regards, dspp

The article demonstrates many of the issues with social media and informations reliability.

We don't know whether these were Tesla made or not.

O2000,

With all due respect, it was you who put the link to the video up as an example of "Tesla is good" , and it was me who pointed out that the video contained the evidence that "maybe Tesla is not so good" which is a point I have made before. I also specifically gave Tesla the benefit of the doubt as to who made the seat. Therefore it is rather odd for you now to say "whoops social media is unreliable".

Mass manufacturing of automotive and similar is difficult. The overall evidence is inconclusive that Tesla has what it takes to get there at sufficient scale. For me it is not a compelling investment case at these prices, in the context of the level of risk involved. However I wish Tesla luck.

regards,
dspp

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » October 9th, 2018, 9:50 am

dspp wrote:

Regards,

A colleague has one of these. His are white if I recall correctly. Yeah, they clean up good.

Heh, a car with McDonalds seating. NIce!

GS

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » October 9th, 2018, 9:56 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

HYD

Regards,

Out of interest, Ody, when did you buy and sell over the last year?

I'm genuinely interested because, in general, I'm a long-term investor and not brave enough to indulge in short-term trading. To make a really worthwhile return one would have had to buy in March at around 250 and sell in June or August at around 350 a 40% gain. That would have been unimaginably impeccable timing! Any more trades would have incurred more costs and risks surely?

regards

Howard

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » October 9th, 2018, 10:41 am

They are currently predominantly traders stock with lots of the profit giving movement that traders seek

I would entirely agree, and Musk does a great job of enriching traders who are fleet of foot!

But that is a very different issue to is "Tesla a good investment"? (not trade), and that is about the quality of the product, ability to deliver and perform as promised, long term reliability. Those are issues which you have promoted here, as being so good for Tesla that other car companies are in real trouble. And yet I, and I'm sure many others, would argue those remain unproven. It takes many years of production experience to learn how to do that well, and many more for a reputation of that sort to be developed with end users. And Tesla remain a long way from that, and their CEO seems intent on distracting them from the real issue.

None of that means Tesla is not a good car company, or that it will not prove itself to be worthy and reliable over time (though a paradigm shifter it is not), but at present, and with the current behaviour of the CEO, the outcome is far too murky for me to regard it as a possible investment. If I were a trader and looking to make a quick buck, helped on by daft tweets, then I might see it otherwise.

Peter

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » October 9th, 2018, 11:42 am

Howard wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:[

Regards,

Out of interest, Ody, when did you buy and sell over the last year?

I'm genuinely interested because, in general, I'm a long-term investor and not brave enough to indulge in short-term trading. To make a really worthwhile return one would have had to buy in March at around 250 and sell in June or August at around 350 a 40% gain. That would have been unimaginably impeccable timing! Any more trades would have incurred more costs and risks surely?

I think he meant he was sitting in his Tesla whilst he was trading!

(and eating a burger of course... which reminds me of being camped in my car outside McD in Oct 2008 using their free wifi to trade VW shares which were going bananas. Memories...)

;-)

GS

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 9th, 2018, 1:04 pm

With all due respect, it was you who put the link to the video up as an example of "Tesla is good" , and it was me who pointed out that the video contained the evidence that "maybe Tesla is not so good" which is a point I have made before. I also specifically gave Tesla the benefit of the doubt as to who made the seat. Therefore it is rather odd for you now to say "whoops social media is unreliable".

Mass manufacturing of automotive and similar is difficult. The overall evidence is inconclusive that Tesla has what it takes to get there at sufficient scale. For me it is not a compelling investment case at these prices, in the context of the level of risk involved. However I wish Tesla luck.

regards,
dspp

I did ask the question with the original link as to whether it was fake or not.

I was simply pointing out that one can colour these kinds of things in many ways.

One can argue that manufacturing is hard, that no newbies can ever compete etc and one can cite evidence from the media for this or one can cite Tesla has done it by reference to selective picking facts.

All of this stuff makes it real hard to make any sensible decisions but at the same time the media do influence punters and who ever can put out a good spin is the one who will get the sales. All manufacturers do this.

This is why I tend to rely more on overall things like total sales, market share take etc but at the same time I find it useful to be alert to social media as sometimes big things are flagged up here first.

I agree that there is nothing compelling about Tesla but also that if there was the price would be very much higher than it is. Certainty comes with price.

Regards,
Last edited by tjh290633 on October 9th, 2018, 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tags corrected - TJH

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”