Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Random Book Club

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
pancake101
Lemon Pip

Random Book Club

Postby pancake101 » November 1st, 2018, 10:33 am

I think i have sussed out a Present or two but thought I would get reaction here first.

I found idea this via this board, the trail is thus , In a previous thread by Clariman on selling academic books, Clitheroekid, mentioned The Diary of a Bookseller - that lead me to Scotland's second largest Book shop in Wigtown from there spotted their Random Book Club where they send a book a month for a fee.

I like this idea! Strangely! How would you feel about a random book being sent monthly for a year? Could be wonderful and could be pointless - would you give every book a chance??

Pancake

PS I have been to Scotland's largest book shop and if anyone ever in Inverness I suggest you visit Leakey's, its a beautiful place to be!

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Re: Random Book Club

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 19th, 2018, 10:29 pm

I found idea this via this board, the trail is thus , In a previous thread by Clariman on selling academic books, Clitheroekid, mentioned The Diary of a Bookseller - that lead me to Scotland's second largest Book shop in Wigtown from there spotted their Random Book Club where they send a book a month for a fee.

I like this idea! Strangely! How would you feel about a random book being sent monthly for a year? Could be wonderful and could be pointless - would you give every book a chance??

Only spotted this very interesting post too late I imagine for my reaction to be of much use. Nevertheless I have to say if someone could afford to give me a present of this type I'd be delighted. There would be the interest of wondering which book would come next. The pleasure of having a monthly gift outside of the usual seasons/reasons for gift giving. There'd be the chance of discovering some new author or genre I really liked.

Yes I'd give each book a chance - well unless I suppose the title was 'History of recent football managers in the UK'! N.B. It is only fair to note that I don't feel obliged to keep presents which I don't like or use. I like opening a gift. I like the idea that someone bothered to send it. So I 'enjoy' it anyway but I don't feel under that dreadful obligation that some people to do to store the item for ever. So if I got a book and read a bit of it and couldn't get into it, I'd offer it on Freegle, or donate to a charity shop which still likes to receive books (not all do as some find them too difficult to sell), or donate it to one of these book exchange things where you take a book of your choice and leave another (there's one in my local train station) - after all if there is nothing you want on the shelves of the exchange you could just leave your own book without taking another, or I'd send it to a friend who might enjoy it.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 20th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Along similar lines, but with new books http://biggreenbookshop.com/ does a book club delivering a book a month

"Based on information provided by you, we'll deliver a new novel at the beginning of each month to you or to the person of your choice. The book will be gift wrapped and will also include a personal message from us and, maybe more."

Not a member, but they do seem to be nice people running the shop.

Slarti

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » December 23rd, 2018, 3:36 pm

For info there is a similar secondhand book town in Norway.

https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/th ... town/3217/

We one year booked a chalet there not realising the book town existed, given our at times insane book purchasing- at our peak we had over 3,000 though since much culled, it was a very pleasant surprise. Obviously not that many books in English though I did pick up a Canadian first edition of "Campbell's Kingdom"

Return to “Books and Reading”