Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Emirates Airline

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Emirates Airline

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 24th, 2016, 4:10 pm

I found a 20 year old fax I'd mislaid, telling me I'd won two return tickets to Dubai on Emirates airline.
I'm trying to find an email address that I can contact someone there, to see if there's any chance they'll still honour them.
I tried their public relations dept., pointing out how newsworthy it would be if they still provided the prize, but no-one replied.
Does anyone have any other ideas about how to push the matter, and/or who to contact?
It's gotta be worth a try!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Emirates Airline

Postby Lootman » December 24th, 2016, 4:47 pm

You could try asking on one of the many air travel and frequent flyer blogs. Examples:

http://www.flyertalk.com/

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/

A quick search will reveal many of them.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 24th, 2016, 5:02 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I found a 20 year old fax I'd mislaid, telling me I'd won two return tickets to Dubai on Emirates airline.
I'm trying to find an email address that I can contact someone there, to see if there's any chance they'll still honour them.
I tried their public relations dept., pointing out how newsworthy it would be if they still provided the prize, but no-one replied.
Does anyone have any other ideas about how to push the matter, and/or who to contact?

Might be worth tweeting...many companies follow Twitter, try # Emirates
John

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » December 24th, 2016, 6:40 pm

Is your fax genuine?

There is currently a very widespread phishing scam on "What's App" amongst other social media saying exactly the same: Congratulations you have won 2 tickets from Emirates to anywhere in the world blah blah blah...

Could your fax be an early incarnation of the scam? Major corps rarely give things away.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 24th, 2016, 7:11 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Is your fax genuine?

There is currently a very widespread phishing scam on "What's App" amongst other social media saying exactly the same: Congratulations you have won 2 tickets from Emirates to anywhere in the world blah blah blah...

Could your fax be an early incarnation of the scam? Major corps rarely give things away.

No, it's 100% real. I won a competition, but in those days couldn't even afford a hotel in Dubai, so did nothing about it. It was sponsored by a trade magazine, complete with a photo of my winning entry being held aloft by one of their managers. So, no question about its veracity, just whether anyone is interested in awarding a 20 year old unclaimed prize.

Paultry
2 Lemon pips

Postby Paultry » December 24th, 2016, 10:55 pm

In 1996 a hotel would not have been that pricey surely.

Certainly in 1999 less fancy hotels, within the Emirates, were £50 to £70.

You should have gone then. Paul

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 25th, 2016, 9:57 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:...just whether anyone is interested in awarding a 20 year old unclaimed prize.

Hate to put a dampener on this dear NmNh but I suspect even then they would have had terms and conditions, which in all liklihood would have had a time limit specified. This could prove difficult for the firm to ascertain after all this time. I suspect you would really be relying on their goodwill.

Cheers,
Chris

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 26th, 2016, 12:21 am

csearle wrote:
NomoneyNohoney wrote:...just whether anyone is interested in awarding a 20 year old unclaimed prize.

Hate to put a dampener on this dear NmNh but I suspect even then they would have had terms and conditions, which in all liklihood would have had a time limit specified. This could prove difficult for the firm to ascertain after all this time. I suspect you would really be relying on their goodwill.

Cheers,
Chris

Oh, no question that I'm relying on goodwill - I'm not instructing CK or any of his colleagues on the matter.
I just want to find the person at Emirates who can exercise that goodwill decision

Generali
2 Lemon pips

Postby Generali » December 27th, 2016, 8:30 am

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I found a 20 year old fax I'd mislaid, telling me I'd won two return tickets to Dubai on Emirates airline.

Try their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Emirates

or as an earlier poster said Twitter:

https://twitter.com/emirates

Paultry wrote:In 1996 a hotel would not have been that pricey surely.

Certainly in 1999 less fancy hotels, within the Emirates, were £50 to £70.

You should have gone then. Paul

I'm not sure how this helps the OP although I doubt that helping was the intention, sadly.

Return to “Does anyone know?”