Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Apple and ginger jelly

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Apple and ginger jelly

Postby johnstevens77 » November 2nd, 2018, 8:58 pm

If anyone still has cooking apples left, I recommend this recipe from InkyAnn with a few blackberries added for a super colour.

Author: InkyAnn
Number: of 53081 (Motley Fool)

Subject: Re: apple and ginger jam/jelly
Date: 08/09/2011 22:18

As approved by the WI, and made by me on the Denman College course I did:

Spiced Apple & Ginger jelly

2lb cooking apples or crab apples, washed & chopped, no need to peel or core
3pts water
2lemons, sliced
2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, grated (but increase this if desired). ( I used 5cm).
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon cloves
Sugar

Preparation notes: wash your jars in hot soapy water, rinse, put in an oven at gas mark 3 for 10mins then reduce to minimum heat. I leave them in there while re-heating the liquid on day 2 (or after straining) and use the same oven to warm the sugar for 10 minutes.

1. Place the apples & water in a preserving pan with the lemon, giner & spices. Simmer for 45-60mins or until apples are very soft.
2. Strain through a jelly bag & leave for AT LEASt 2 hours. Do not shake or squeeze the jelly bag or the resulting jelly will be cloudy (I prefer straining overnight for best results).
3. Measure the juice and add 1lb sugar for each 1pt liquid. (I like to warm the sugar gently before adding, to aid dissolving). You can reduce the sugar, but bear in mind that more acidic fruits require higher amounts of both sugar & water.
4. Dissolve over a gentle heat & then bring rapidly to the boil (do NOT stir while bringing to the boil, and don't add butter to reduce scum as it can affect the clarity of the jelly).
5. Once setting point is reached, pour into warm sterilised jars. make sure your jars are on a wooden chopping board as this distributes the heat best, and leave to set for 24 hours with no moving.

As apple jellies can discolour easily due to enzyme action in light, they should be stored in a cool, dry, dark place.

Variations:
1. add 1tbsp chopped fresh mint at the end of step 4 (note: if you wash the mint so it is wet it will mix in better rather than float to the surface)
2. Add 1 cinnamon stick, 1 teaspoon allspice berries, 2 large blades of mace and 1/2 teaspoon cloves at step 1.
3. Crush 2-3 black peppercorns in a pestle and mortar then stir into the jelly just before putting in jars.

HTH
InkyAnn

I made it 01/11/2018, great taste.
I used variations 2 and 3 plus a few blackberries for a super colour.

john

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Re: Apple and ginger jelly

Postby Midsmartin » November 13th, 2018, 3:39 pm

I was feeling experimental this year with fallen crab apples found on dog walks, so I made some apple and rosehip jelly too. It's pretty much like apple jelly, but with some general extra fruitiness.

The wood near our house was bursting with guelder rose berries, and the internet confirmed you can jam these (but not advised raw). The apple & guelder rose jelly tastes pretty good on toast too, though it has a very faint aroma of old socks that maybe explains why you can't buy it in Tesco. It's not bad though, and you might not realise what the smell is reminiscent of until it's pointed out to you!

I hate the waste of not squeezing the jelly through the cloth, so I squeeze as hard as I can, and get several more pots of jelly - who cares if it's cloudy unless you're trying to win a prize? I'm also too impatient to wait overnight.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » November 14th, 2018, 1:57 pm

When I make this, I use a pressure cooker to cook the fruit, you only need half the quantity of water to start with then carry on as usual. I also make rosehip jelly, for that I make 3 extractions from the rosehips because the pulp is so thick. Again, the first extracion is with a pressure cooker.

john

EllenDempsey

Postby EllenDempsey » February 25th, 2019, 11:37 am

I tried this recipe yesterday, it's great! Thanks for sharing. I'm adding it to my favourites ;)

Return to “Food”