Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

So what are we buying today?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
monabri
Lemon Half

Re: So what are we buying today?

Postby monabri » December 6th, 2018, 5:49 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:Although we usualy use our dividends for day to day expenses, we do live below our means and have a few bob to reinvest. Problem is that both our ISA's are fully subscibed. However, the phrase, "do not let the tax tail wag the dog" seems appropriate here so will be topping up Greene King in the OH's dealing account tomorrow.

john

Noting that GNK went XD today.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » December 6th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Oh! I thought it was on the 7th. Anyway we may still go ahead and thanks for the heads up.

john

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 6th, 2018, 7:55 pm

You would have missed it anyway even if it were the 7th December..you would have to bought the day before.

Here's the dividend data link which indicates XD was today. Still, the share price dropped over 21p today and the dividend was 8.8p...so, a fortuitous miss ;)

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... y?epic=GNK

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 7th, 2018, 7:47 am

johnstevens77 wrote:Oh! I thought it was on the 7th. Anyway we may still go ahead and thanks for the heads up.

john

As Monabri says, you got lucky. I bought after XD when the price had dropped 10p..... then it dropped a further 10p later!

Incidentally, I reported my topup this month (see above table) was of Persimmon. I note two things, both somewhat irksome:
a) the last three times I've put more cash into my HYP, the result a day later has been that the total value has dropped due to a falling market.
b) Persimmon was bought with cash from a "tinker": I sold out Marks. Marks has declined 0.4%. Persimmon has declined 28% since I bought it. Another successful tinker to add to my list NOT. (NB: I wouldn't really judge until some years have passed)

What will today bring? More turmoil, I'd say.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 7th, 2018, 8:49 am

Arborbridge wrote:Another successful tinker to add to my list NOT. (NB: I wouldn't really judge until some years have passed).

As you well know, I hardly ever tinker but even I have been known to on occasion. I have a very short list - three at last count. One was a 'lived to regret doing that' like your Marks/Persimmon. In 2016 'Bree acts out of character...' and...
Breelander (2016) wrote:...I sold about 40% of my BT at 403.91p (retaining a slightly overweight holding) and ... bought a full holding of Amec at 1095.82p.

Possibly not one of my best choices, as it turned out :(

In 2015 I sold all my FirstGroup and bought Glaxo. I agonised at length over that one in my Christmas review concluding that...
Breelander (2015) wrote:On the evidence so far, was I right or wrong to tinker? There's no clear answer to that... Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I did what I did when I did. I just don't plan to make a habit of it...

But the last one was my 'Lucky Strike' - I sold all my Carillion the day before they were delisted. :D

I really ought to do some careful rebalancing, a couple of my holdings are heavily overweight (that's the risk when you buy bargain HYP picks, sometimes they fly). Maybe next year, but for now all this Brexit confusion make it impossible to know what to buy.

Oh well, back to LTBH it is then ;)

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » December 7th, 2018, 9:19 am

I really ought to do some careful rebalancing, a couple of my holdings are heavily overweight (that's the risk when you buy bargain HYP picks, sometimes they fly). Maybe next year, but for now all this Brexit confusion make it impossible to know what to buy.

I know what you mean, I've been reinvesting divis this year and bed and ISAing holdings and I think I've got my unsheltered dividend income down below £2000, but I've not been adding any new money at all this year. I've been replacing savings after having to replace my car* last year and spending on maintenance of the house all of which have meant no spare cash to go into my HYP. That might be no bad thing though, with all the excitement and confusion over Brexit and Trump's shenanigans with China over trade it may well be worth waiting until things are all a bit clearer before investing new money.

* I like to be able to buy things like a new car, or replace household electricals with cash so try and maintain a decent level of cash savings which I then rebuild after making any big purchases. Cars I try and keep for several years before replacing, so am rebuilding the savings for the next purchase in a few years time.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 7th, 2018, 9:56 am

Just an odd comment. Pearson was widely proposed for culling after its problems a couple of years ago. However the fall in price led to the reduced dividend giving a just acceptable yield.

This year PSON has been the strongest performer in terms of share price, to the extent that its low yield now make it vulnerable to culling again. I have always cautioned against knee jerk reactions, and this is an example where doing nothing may have been the right course of action.

TJH

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 7th, 2018, 10:41 am

tjh290633 wrote:Just an odd comment. Pearson was widely proposed for culling after its problems a couple of years ago. However the fall in price led to the reduced dividend giving a just acceptable yield.

This year PSON has been the strongest performer in terms of share price, to the extent that its low yield now make it vulnerable to culling again. I have always cautioned against knee jerk reactions, and this is an example where doing nothing may have been the right course of action.

TJH

and this is an example where doing nothing may have been the right course of action.

I did just that, but the question remains whether one should cull this one after the knees have stopped jerking: i.e. now-ish. There's no sign as yet that the dividend will recover quickly. Current forecast yield is 2.2% - definitely in the death zone.
So what would you think of culling now? I held on to ride the price rise, which has - for the moment - staggered.

Arb.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 7th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
and this is an example where doing nothing may have been the right course of action.

I did just that, but the question remains whether one should cull this one after the knees have stopped jerking: i.e. now-ish. There's no sign as yet that the dividend will recover quickly. Current forecast yield is 2.2% - definitely in the death zone.
So what would you think of culling now? I held on to ride the price rise, which has - for the moment - staggered.

Arb.

I'm sitting on my hands for now. The rise in PSON's share price encourages me to hold on until the next results.

Likewise I have held on to Tesco with a similarly small yield. Fortunately I decided to dump Invidior or Indivior ? after its first hiccup, and that is now one third of the price at which I sold.

Anybody who decides that it is time to exit now may be correct. Fortunately things are relative, and there may be no penalty because the target for funds released is likely to have been hit harder.

TJH

teecee90
2 Lemon pips

Postby teecee90 » December 7th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Topped up my KIER holding @395

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 7th, 2018, 3:26 pm

teecee90 wrote:Topped up my KIER holding @395

"A brave decision, if I may say so, Minister".

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 7th, 2018, 4:28 pm

Kier has come top of the monthly contracts league for work won in November and continued to hold pole position in the 12-month rolling league table.

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/20 ... ue-double/

Bookbinder

Postby Bookbinder » December 7th, 2018, 4:31 pm

I topped up SLA, TW. and PRU today.

The historic yields on SLA and TW. are now around 9% and 11% respectively. Admittedly these stocks are likely to be in the firing line in a disorderly Brexit (house prices fall, financial services passporting to EU disappears) but I can't help thinking that some of the (potential) bad news is baked into the price.

I know PRU isn't everyone's idea of an HYP stock but the dividend growth rate is excellent putting it in a category with ULVR and DGE in my opinion.

Bookbinder

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 7th, 2018, 4:49 pm

monabri wrote:

Kier has come top of the monthly contracts league for work won in November and continued to hold pole position in the 12-month rolling league table.

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/20 ... ue-double/

I see shorting has now reduced a little to 11.98% (max 13.98%)

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » December 7th, 2018, 5:15 pm

I've been holding off for the last few weeks since Sept when the downturn really got into gear, as all the news seemed to pile bad on bad and everything I've bought in the last year and a half seems to have plummeted with the exception of Regional REIT (RGL) and Rio Tinto. However after yesterday's latest debacle I reckoned Legal & General were unlikely to drop too much further and the yield is too good to turn down, so have topped up. Hope my judgement is better than recently.

Only other contenders were Taylor Wimpey after the director buy the other day, but the yield is in "too good to be true" territory, and maybe another top up of RGL. (Still can't work out how I'm 25% down on TW when it was doing well for me before but suspect there's a bit of a talking down excercise going on with UK house building at the moment.) Though BAE have suddenly come back onto the HYP radar with a DL forward yield of 5.1%.

cheers
Spiderbill

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 7th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Topped up WPP yesterday.
Next in line when funds appear is AV.
Also in the frame are: LAndSec and BT (also examining a couple of ITs: MRCH & HFEL)

Lots of stuff on sale at very decent yields. Bit like a kid in a sweet shop. Seeing rumblings on US market that the yield curve has flattened, and wondering when I should start pulling in my horns, stop buying and start saving my pocket money.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 7th, 2018, 6:00 pm

WPP Yield
https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... py?epic=AV.
set timescale to 10 years.

Not quite 'fill yer boots' territory, but definitely into 'top up land'

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 7th, 2018, 6:31 pm

TUK020 wrote:WPP Yield

Although the link to WPP didn't work for me, I looked up the 10 year data and it shows the yield ski ramping up to 7.37%...yep, 7 point 37 percent! I posted a link ( just) on exec bonus scheme for WPP with a comment regarding EPS targets.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 7th, 2018, 6:42 pm

TUK020 wrote:WPP Yield

How much do you want? over 7% and roughly two or three times WPP's usual yield!

If one is interested in WPP, this is in "about as good as it gets" territory.

Arb.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 7th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Yesterday I topped up Glaxo and PRU., and in my IT portfolio JPGI (JP Morgan Global Grth & Inc trust).

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”