Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Too much going on!

A friendly ear
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Too much going on!

Postby Clariman » December 17th, 2018, 11:50 am

Just wanted to let off steam. I'm fine.

Recently had bedroom remodelled and fitted out, followed by ensuite being done. So at the moment ....

• 2 guys from bedroom installer doing snagging and refitting damaged/missing items in bedroom
  • Bathroom running late so 2 guys in bathroom/garage preparing to install and tile the bath in the ensuite
  • Someone coming to collect a package later today
  • Piano tuner also coming this afternoon
  • Tomorrow the stairs, landing and study carpets getting replaced
  • Still need to finish clearing the study before that
  • Tomorrow the front door is getting replaced. I'd previously reported a leak and they call today to do it tomorrow :o
  • In between bedroom and bathrooms installations Mrs C's mother was hospitalised with a broken femur
  • Mrs C's mother called this morning to say that carers arrived at 7am, she has diarrhoea and not eaten, so Mrs C heading over now
  • Trying to complete forms for additional support for Mrs C's mother but printer keeps getting bloomin' paper-jams.
  • Amidst this we both had a concert last night
  • I have gigs tonight and tomorrow and Mrs C has one on Wednesday
  • We are having 6 additional people stay with us over Christmas, starting next Sunday and how is still covered in dust and rooms need cleared/prepared
  • Another 4 turning up on Christmas Day ... one of which should be Mrs C's mother
  • Christmas tree is not up and many presents not yet bought. No Christmas food/drink shopping done yet

And they said retirement would be fun! :?

Aaagghhh!

Clariman

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Too much going on!

Postby kiloran » December 17th, 2018, 12:41 pm

And your problem is......?????

--kiloran

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 17th, 2018, 1:28 pm

kiloran wrote:And your problem is......?????

--kiloran

Thanks for the sympathy. ;)

It is good that all these things are getting done but most should have been done and dusted well before now. There are too many things going on at the same time - all concurrent with my mother-in-law not being in a good state. Dealing with all of the above without MIL needing loads of immediate support would be fine. Dealing with more needy MIL without all this going on would be fine, but the combination of all of this is too much.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 17th, 2018, 1:35 pm

I've always thought it's worse when there are a lot of small(er) problems on the radar, rather than One Big Problem which one can focus on.
I find making lists and ticking items off helps - attack the stuff that can be progressed, and 'forget' about the stuff that will resolve itself one way or another
Hope it all becomes simpler , and you can relax a bit!

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » December 17th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Sounds self inflicted to me… .no sympathy.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » December 17th, 2018, 3:13 pm

It'll get better, I'm sure you must have got through worse in the past.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » December 17th, 2018, 4:13 pm

argh
hope things quieten down and MIL gets better asap.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » December 17th, 2018, 6:11 pm

tea42 wrote:Sounds self inflicted to me… .no sympathy.

Sorry but this is an unacceptable answer. The raison d'etre of this particular board/forum is to offer sympathy. People go through tough times for all sorts of reasons, some of which they will not make public.

It comes over as callous and abusive if you comment as above.

GS
P.S. Not to mention it's highly impertinent to treat one's host in that way on his own bulletin board!!!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 17th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Clariman wrote:Just wanted to let off steam. I'm fine.

Recently had bedroom remodelled and fitted out, followed by ensuite being done. So at the moment ....

• 2 guys from bedroom installer doing snagging and refitting damaged/missing items in bedroom
  • Bathroom running late so 2 guys in bathroom/garage preparing to install and tile the bath in the ensuite
  • Someone coming to collect a package later today
  • Piano tuner also coming this afternoon
  • Tomorrow the stairs, landing and study carpets getting replaced
  • Still need to finish clearing the study before that
  • Tomorrow the front door is getting replaced. I'd previously reported a leak and they call today to do it tomorrow :o
  • In between bedroom and bathrooms installations Mrs C's mother was hospitalised with a broken femur
  • Mrs C's mother called this morning to say that carers arrived at 7am, she has diarrhoea and not eaten, so Mrs C heading over now
  • Trying to complete forms for additional support for Mrs C's mother but printer keeps getting bloomin' paper-jams.
  • Amidst this we both had a concert last night
  • I have gigs tonight and tomorrow and Mrs C has one on Wednesday
  • We are having 6 additional people stay with us over Christmas, starting next Sunday and how is still covered in dust and rooms need cleared/prepared
  • Another 4 turning up on Christmas Day ... one of which should be Mrs C's mother
  • Christmas tree is not up and many presents not yet bought. No Christmas food/drink shopping done yet

And they said retirement would be fun! :?

Aaagghhh!

Clariman

All seems a normal Christmas to me :-)

What is really worrying you (well it scares the &^@!! out of me) are the people coming to stay and those for Christmas day.

All the rest is nothing. Buy a Yamaha digital! The improvements in the last 10 years are phenomenal. Sounds the same as a real piano and no tuning required!

For study, landing, front door etc, simply watch repeats of 'The Young Ones' and laugh. It will get done sometime.

The priority is you, your wife and Mrs C's mother. Stock up on booze, some Carry-On films and go and look after MIL. A femur will heal, though slowly.

Christmas Day is still over a week away. I'm sure that your guests will understand. Or just leave them the front door key. You're looking after your family. What can they say? If they have any heart, they will offer to do whatever they can.

Steve

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » December 18th, 2018, 9:06 am

No idea if this will help... but... amongst the too-much-to-do are some lovely things. Your concerts. your visitors. Christmas itself.

Dust is ephemeral, friends and good times stay for ever.

We all have this vision of the "perfect christmas" and every so often stuff happens and it doesn;t maybe go the way you want it to.

Enjoy the concerts - I get the "pressure" thing having had Xmas Concert last week, 9 lessons and carols and midnight mass to prep and rehearse for (Coventry Carol and Sans Day Carol in particular :-) ) , and my annual prose and poetry night tonight.

It will be fine.

didds

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 18th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Thank you to those who have taken the trouble to give kind or thoughtful replies, your words are much appreciated. For those who decided to say nothing at all, I appreciate that too. For those who decided to post something less than thoughtful, I personally will live with it. [Clariman posting personally].

The next bit is written in moderator/Admin mode so I will use a Mod box ...

Moderator Message:
Clariman posting as Admin .... please be very thoughtful and use restraint when tempted to make critical, witty or unkind replies on this board. Don't do it. Comfort Cafe is somewhere that people come to unload or to seek advice - sometimes on matters of life and death and sometimes very trivial. On the equivalent board on The Motley Fool there were suicidal people posting on the board, there were women who were planning their escape from domestic abuse, there were also more trivial worries like mine. Users need to feel able to post anything here no matter how trivial or stupid it might seem to you. Please do not take offence about this. Nothing personal is intended in the same way that I have not taken offence at the replies to me above. However, this is important and must be said. Thanks

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » December 19th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Clariman apologies if my reply distressed you ;) Do you play the Clarinet professionally perchance?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 19th, 2018, 6:45 pm

tea42 wrote:Clariman apologies if my reply distressed you ;) Do you play the Clarinet professionally perchance?

Are you the proprietor/proprietrix of a cafe that only serves couples perchance?

Return to “Comfort Cafe”