Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GSVsowhat,johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Why not one HYP Board

Pull up a chair, have a biscuit - discuss the site and general questions about the LemonFool
Walrus
Lemon Slice
Posts: 255
Joined: March 21st, 2018, 12:32 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Why not one HYP Board

#188505

Postby Walrus » December 20th, 2018, 9:42 pm

I'm sorry but it's ridiculous. The practical board clearly gets the traffic. It is what I go on to discuss my portfolio. Then I get dumped to the dead zone. If makes no sense. I would love to know which handful of posters should just have their own Myopic board. If there really is a majority fair enough . I would propose a PYAD Zygot site . If that gets the traffic fine. Seriously getting more and more miffed with this site

dspp
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3662
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 2692 times
Been thanked: 865 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188507

Postby dspp » December 20th, 2018, 9:54 pm

There is just one HYP board.

The problem is that people keep abusing it, which upsets those who want to keep it 'pure'.

A secondary problem is that there is not perfect agreement about what constitutes purity. Mind you there is a working consensus, and that is what the Mods have in mind when they get an alert.

A tertiary problem is that some individuals keep having lapses in maintaining their personal purity.

Overall that's why a 'higher yield ... general' board was created to allow for 'impure' discussions.

But unfortunately everyone wants to hang out on the cool board with the pretty girls and strong drugs etc. (HYP) 'cos that's where its cool to be.

Can I gently recommend that folk push their traffic onto the impure board, then that eliminates these problems ........

regards, dspp
Last edited by dspp on December 20th, 2018, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

csearle
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1939
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 2:24 pm
Has thanked: 1160 times
Been thanked: 461 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188509

Postby csearle » December 20th, 2018, 9:59 pm

Walrus wrote:I'm sorry but it's ridiculous. The practical board clearly gets the traffic. It is what I go on to discuss my portfolio. Then I get dumped to the dead zone. If makes no sense. I would love to know which handful of posters should just have their own Myopic board. If there really is a majority fair enough . I would propose a PYAD Zygot site . If that gets the traffic fine. Seriously getting more and more miffed with this site
Using the HYP Practical board, which was set up specifically for a particular strategy for talking about any portfolio just because the board "gets traffic" is an abuse of the board and not acceptable to those people wanting to use "their" board for "their" HYP strategy as defined. That is why the moderators keep trying to get general matters discussed on a general board.

It doesn't help having regular posts, irrelevant to the simple hands-free nature of the HYP strategy, constantly drawing traffic to it. Far better to have such posts on the general board so that true advocates of the strategy don't have to wade through it all to get to the bits of genuine interest. That would make the general board the sought-after hive of activity and the HYP practical board the relatively quiet place that it actually should be*.

Regards,
Chris

* With HYP you could go on sabbatical for a year, making and seeing zero posts and still be following the HYP strategy to the letter.

Walrus
Lemon Slice
Posts: 255
Joined: March 21st, 2018, 12:32 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188511

Postby Walrus » December 20th, 2018, 10:10 pm

csearle wrote:
Walrus wrote:I'm sorry but it's ridiculous. The practical board clearly gets the traffic. It is what I go on to discuss my portfolio. Then I get dumped to the dead zone. If makes no sense. I would love to know which handful of posters should just have their own Myopic board. If there really is a majority fair enough . I would propose a PYAD Zygot site . If that gets the traffic fine. Seriously getting more and more miffed with this site
Using the HYP Practical board, which was set up specifically for a particular strategy for talking about any portfolio just because the board "gets traffic" is an abuse of the board and not acceptable to those people wanting to use "their" board for "their" HYP strategy as defined. That is why the moderators keep trying to get general matters discussed on a general board.

It doesn't help having regular posts, irrelevant to the simple hands-free nature of the HYP strategy, constantly drawing traffic to it. Far better to have such posts on the general board so that true advocates of the strategy don't have to wade through it all to get to the bits of genuine interest. That would make the general board the sought-after hive of activity and the HYP practical board the relatively quiet place that it actually should be*.

Regards,
Chris

* With HYP you could go on sabbatical for a year, making and seeing zero posts and still be following the HYP strategy to the letter.


Chris you make the exact point with your * . Any 100 percent to the letter actual Hyper would not really have any interest in these boards. Or at the very least limited.

I am not trying to attack moderators here I just really don't get it. I don't want to annoy people if there really is a majority but I just feel/suspect we are talking about a handful of people who like arguing. I really like this site but I just don't understand the constant fight I feel I am involved into have a sensible conversation :(

melonfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2883
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:18 am
Has thanked: 1212 times
Been thanked: 700 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188512

Postby melonfool » December 20th, 2018, 10:16 pm

Walrus wrote:

I am not trying to attack moderators here I just really don't get it. I don't want to annoy people if there really is a majority but I just feel/suspect we are talking about a handful of people who like arguing. I really like this site but I just don't understand the constant fight I feel I am involved into have a sensible conversation :(


Just pretend it doesn't exist and post somewhere else then.

I've managed to avoid posting there for months.

Of course it is not 'a majority' but no 'majority' want any one board, do they. There's no precedent for boards only to exist because 'a majority' want them.

Mel

Walrus
Lemon Slice
Posts: 255
Joined: March 21st, 2018, 12:32 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188515

Postby Walrus » December 20th, 2018, 10:22 pm

melonfool wrote:
Walrus wrote:

I am not trying to attack moderators here I just really don't get it. I don't want to annoy people if there really is a majority but I just feel/suspect we are talking about a handful of people who like arguing. I really like this site but I just don't understand the constant fight I feel I am involved into have a sensible conversation :(


Just pretend it doesn't exist and post somewhere else then.

I've managed to avoid posting there for months.

Of course it is not 'a majority' but no 'majority' want any one board, do they. There's no precedent for boards only to exist because 'a majority' want them.

Mel


Mel I don't actually understand your post. Sorry I don't mean to be difficult.

In my experience posting elsewhere is the equivalent of posting in the twilight zone. I'd prefer a far more liberal HYP board and a sectarian area for the specialists who complain. I'm convinced it's a population of less than 5

melonfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2883
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:18 am
Has thanked: 1212 times
Been thanked: 700 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188517

Postby melonfool » December 20th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Walrus wrote:
melonfool wrote:
Walrus wrote:

I am not trying to attack moderators here I just really don't get it. I don't want to annoy people if there really is a majority but I just feel/suspect we are talking about a handful of people who like arguing. I really like this site but I just don't understand the constant fight I feel I am involved into have a sensible conversation :(


Just pretend it doesn't exist and post somewhere else then.

I've managed to avoid posting there for months.

Of course it is not 'a majority' but no 'majority' want any one board, do they. There's no precedent for boards only to exist because 'a majority' want them.

Mel


Mel I don't actually understand your post. Sorry I don't mean to be difficult.

In my experience posting elsewhere is the equivalent of posting in the twilight zone. I'd prefer a far more liberal HYP board and a sectarian area for the specialists who complain. I'm convinced it's a population of less than 5


You can't have a 'more liberal HYP board' it's an oxymoron.

If you want more open discussion, it's not HYP.

Just post on the other board - not posting there and saying it's too quiet is quite obviously self-fulfilling.

I'm not sure why you so crave the attention of those five people, maybe you need to reflect on that? Encourage the rest, other than the five, to post where you want to post? Just post somewhere else and leave the Famous Five to it. 'Be the change you want to see'

Mel

Walrus
Lemon Slice
Posts: 255
Joined: March 21st, 2018, 12:32 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188521

Postby Walrus » December 20th, 2018, 10:55 pm

melonfool wrote:
Walrus wrote:
melonfool wrote:
Just pretend it doesn't exist and post somewhere else then.

I've managed to avoid posting there for months.

Of course it is not 'a majority' but no 'majority' want any one board, do they. There's no precedent for boards only to exist because 'a majority' want them.

Mel


Mel I don't actually understand your post. Sorry I don't mean to be difficult.

In my experience posting elsewhere is the equivalent of posting in the twilight zone. I'd prefer a far more liberal HYP board and a sectarian area for the specialists who complain. I'm convinced it's a population of less than 5


You can't have a 'more liberal HYP board' it's an oxymoron.

If you want more open discussion, it's not HYP.

Just post on the other board - not posting there and saying it's too quiet is quite obviously self-fulfilling.

I'm not sure why you so crave the attention of those five people, maybe you need to reflect on that? Encourage the rest, other than the five, to post where you want to post? Just post somewhere else and leave the Famous Five to it. 'Be the change you want to see'

Mel


Ok. I'm just going to go elsewhere . It is pointless posting on a dead board. Moving my post to the dead board had the desired effect of receiving no further posts. Personally I don't understand why common sense does not prevail, but I've basically reached the point of giving up. Best wishes to all and a happy New year. Consider this post closed.

Walrus

melonfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2883
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:18 am
Has thanked: 1212 times
Been thanked: 700 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188524

Postby melonfool » December 20th, 2018, 11:02 pm

This thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15326

well, you didn't post there, your post got moved there.

Then everyone started talking about moderation which, in my view, is why the discussion of the initial topic ceased.

Maybe, report and don't encourage discussion of moderation and post something substantive to keep the posts on topic?

This was the time before that you posted there and it had 16 replies: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14137

Does it occur to you that if TLF re position what is now the HYP board that the people who post there will stop posting and it will become the same as the other boards that have fewer posts?

Mel

Walrus
Lemon Slice
Posts: 255
Joined: March 21st, 2018, 12:32 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188528

Postby Walrus » December 20th, 2018, 11:17 pm

melonfool wrote:This thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15326

well, you didn't post there, your post got moved there.

Then everyone started talking about moderation which, in my view, is why the discussion of the initial topic ceased.

Maybe, report and don't encourage discussion of moderation and post something substantive to keep the posts on topic?

This was the time before that you posted there and it had 16 replies: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14137

Does it occur to you that if TLF re position what is now the HYP board that the people who post there will stop posting and it will become the same as the other boards that have fewer posts?

Mel


My suspicion is that this site is dieing, I hope I'm wrong. I'll leave it at that. Good luck everyone, I have other things going on in my life and arguing with mods is not something I'm prepared to spend my time on. Will watch from the sides in future. Good Night

dspp
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3662
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 2692 times
Been thanked: 865 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188529

Postby dspp » December 20th, 2018, 11:32 pm

Something to bear in mind is that the Mods are simply piggy-in-the-middle on this.

There are a group that wanted a HYP board. They've got it. It has a fairly tight definition. If there is an alert regarding post(s) or a thread on the HYP board the Mods just deal with it, per the definition.

The Mods are not the problem. We just get the alerts and deal with them - and believe me we ignore just as many as we act on. It is a fine line we try to balance on.

Ultimately this is not a debate about Modding, and if I thought it was I would not have posted an explanation here as it should have gone to Room 101. It is a debate about learning to respect the tight definition of the HYP board and to use the freedom that is everywhere else on TLF, or outside TLF.

regards, dspp

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 5797
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 966 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188535

Postby Lootman » December 21st, 2018, 12:21 am

dspp wrote:Something to bear in mind is that the Mods are simply piggy-in-the-middle on this.

There are a group that wanted a HYP board. They've got it. It has a fairly tight definition. If there is an alert regarding post(s) or a thread on the HYP board the Mods just deal with it, per the definition.

The Mods are not the problem. We just get the alerts and deal with them - and believe me we ignore just as many as we act on. It is a fine line we try to balance on.

All fair points. I think the broader question is this. Do the benefits of having 2 HY boards out-weigh the disadvantages such as confusion, extra moderation and seemingly endless discussions like this? Not to mention the need to check two locations to see all the topics that are broadly relevant.

Perhaps in the good old bad old days of TMF there were decent arguments for splitting the original one HY board into two. But is there really a sufficient number of HYP purists left on TLF to justify the ongoing friction and bafflement that regularly appears? Somebody suggested above that there are five of them. Over time the percentage of new people here will exceed those who relocated here from TMF, and the argument to divide the topic may lose relevance.

Could we not just have one board for HY investing, and we all just get along and ignore those topics that do not interest us within that board? No other investing topic is so finely granulated and segregated.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2883
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:18 am
Has thanked: 1212 times
Been thanked: 700 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188536

Postby melonfool » December 21st, 2018, 12:25 am

Lootman wrote:
dspp wrote:Something to bear in mind is that the Mods are simply piggy-in-the-middle on this.

There are a group that wanted a HYP board. They've got it. It has a fairly tight definition. If there is an alert regarding post(s) or a thread on the HYP board the Mods just deal with it, per the definition.

The Mods are not the problem. We just get the alerts and deal with them - and believe me we ignore just as many as we act on. It is a fine line we try to balance on.

All fair points. I think the broader question is this. Do the benefits of having 2 HY boards out-weigh the disadvantages such as confusion, extra moderation and seemingly endless discussions like this? Not to mention the need to check two locations to see all the topics that are broadly relevant.

Perhaps in the good old bad old days of TMF there were decent arguments for splitting the original one HY board into two. But is there really a sufficient number of HYP purists left on TLF to justify the ongoing friction and bafflement that regularly appears? Somebody suggested above that there are five of them. Over time the percentage of new people here will exceed those who relocated here from TMF, and the argument to divide the topic may lose relevance.

Could we not just have one board for HY investing, and we all just get along and ignore those topics that do not interest us within that board? No other investing topic is so finely granulated and segregated.


Or - just leave the people who want it to get on with it and post elsewhere.

It just bewilders me why people want to poke around with other people's interests and try to claim them as their own. If, as people claim, there are so few people who follow HYP, why do they want to post on that board? Just post on the other HY board, it makes total sense.

I am not a mod, by the way.

Mel

IanTHughes
Lemon Slice
Posts: 769
Joined: May 2nd, 2018, 12:01 pm
Has thanked: 389 times
Been thanked: 335 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188540

Postby IanTHughes » December 21st, 2018, 1:02 am

Lootman wrote:Could we not just have one board for HY investing, and we all just get along and ignore those topics that do not interest us within that board? No other investing topic is so finely granulated and segregated.

If you do not agree with HYP as an Investment Strategy do not read the Practical board. Do not post there, in fact ignore it! Seriously, why is that so hard for you?

Ian

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3798
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 1292 times
Been thanked: 2349 times

Re: Why not one HYP Board

#188543

Postby Itsallaguess » December 21st, 2018, 4:58 am

Walrus wrote:
I would propose a PYAD Zygot site.


I've got a suggestion Walrus - you could pretend that there already *is* one, and that it's called HYP Practical, and just decide not to post there....

Seriously though, you've been given the only real solution to this, which is to concentrate your efforts on the High Yield Shares & Strategies - general board.

The fight that you're trying to fight has been fought many, many times, and the changes you'd prefer to see are simply not going to happen.

You say in another post on this thread that - 'I'd prefer a far more liberal HYP board and a sectarian area for the specialists who complain.'

If you can't see that the situation you'd prefer, that you're clearly describing above, already exists, and the 'far more liberal HYP board' can be seen as the High Yield Shares & Strategies - general board, with the 'sectarian area' (as you describe it..) as the HYP Practical board, then there is simply no hope....

You (we..) have already *got* the solution that you're wanting - it's just that for some reason you're choosing not to use it....I hope you can see from other peoples point of view, that it might look like your decision *not* to use the provided solution can start to look like you're just wanting to cause trouble.

I really don't think that this is the case, and I do think that you're trying to change the situation 'from within' the Practical board, but you really do need to see that this isn't going to happen - the working solution to these regular problems is there, and it's *not* going to change, and your continuing refusal to just accept this is likely to continue to cause trouble on the Practical board, and will inevitably attract the attention of the site moderators.

This often results with lots of people getting wound up, but with the exact same results of non-Practical threads being moved to the Strategies board. So why not choose to miss out the middle 'hornets-nest' bit, and simply post on the Strategies board to start with?

The main issue you seem to have is that you think that active engagement in the income-related discussions that *you want to have* are less likely to happen on Strategies, and more likely to happen on Practical, but I really do think that this is a red-herring, as Mel has pointed out earlier in the thread.

I would place a rather large bet that the majority of posters and readers on this site will actively read both of the high-yield boards, and I really don't think that you're less likely to get active-engagement in a particular high-yield discussion just because you might choose one board over the other to post on.

As Mel has quite rightly pointed out, choosing not to post on Strategies, and then complaining that it's too quiet, is clearly a self-fulfilling situation, and is one that will only improve if people like you (and me....) try to change that by posting more on what we see as the quieter (but more liberal...) board.....

The ideal situation for you, where Strategies has more visible 'traffic', is one which will only occur with active involvement from the people that want to see that situation develop. I'm sure this is really quite obvious to you, and is something that simply needs an acceptance of the current situation (it's not going to change....), and a will to push through with a change in approach to your posting habits when you're wanting to discuss more liberal income-generating strategies than those that are clearly defined and welcomed on the Practical board.....

By continuing to resist the above situation, and posting where you *want* to post, rather than where you *should* post, then I hope you can understand that it starts to look like you're just wanting to antagonise a situation that simply *isn't going to change*.

The truth it that you've already got what you want - there *is* a 'PYAD Zygot site', if that's what you want to call it, and it's called HYP Practical.

Just stay away then, if you're not a 'PYAD Zygot', and post your musings on the more liberal Strategies board.....who knows, by actively getting more involved in the board, you just might encourage some of the traffic over there that you want to generate...

I feel your pain Walrus, I really do, but until you understand that the solution that you're *wanting* is already staring you in the face, then it's likely to continue to cause everyone some really quite avoidable problems, and that would be a real shame.

I hope you're able to accept this, and continue posting on the Strategies board with the types of topics that interest you.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess


Return to “Biscuit Bar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests