Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Bree's HYPish Portfolio - Christmas Review 2018

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bree's HYPish Portfolio - Christmas Review 2018

Postby moorfield » December 27th, 2018, 10:52 am

Breelander wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Moderator Message:
The elephant has been noted. This thread would have been better placed on Portfolio Review, with a link on here to it. Leaving for now, but please note for future. Portfolios need to comply with board guidance to be posted here. Thanks in advance. Raptor.

This portfolio has traditionally been reviewed each Christmas on HYP-P since 2010. It is it's spiritual home. If it is no longer welcome here then this will be the last ever review.

Spiritually perhaps, but accept that it isn't, practically. We've done the argument about Elephants (I am very pro-Elephant btw) many times. I accept I've lost that one, and have dealt with it by stating the following over on Portfolio Management & Review.

moorfield wrote:I want to acknowledge that pyad's HYP canon has heavily influenced my investment approach, and still does, but also give myself room to deviate from that. Having read much of the is-it/isn't-it HYP wrangling on HYP Practical and Biscuit Bar boards, I don't want any readers to feel that I am misappropriating the acronym here.

I think cross-posting here is a perfectly reasonable compromise.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 27th, 2018, 2:42 pm

moorfield wrote:I think cross-posting here is a perfectly reasonable compromise.

I don't. This is no longer the board I knew and loved. I have no wish to post elsewhere. It is simpler to just stop posting.....

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 27th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Breelander wrote:
moorfield wrote:I think cross-posting here is a perfectly reasonable compromise.

I don't. This is no longer the board I knew and loved. I have no wish to post elsewhere. It is simpler to just stop posting.....

Well said Breelander. I couldn’t have put it better.

Have a rec.

Ian.
Moderator Message:
Gents, gents, gents... By my calculations, Bree's posted HYP is 95% pure-HYP. For me, that's near enough, although I accept that some may disagree. Removing the offending share from the calculations wouldn't be the end of the world, and neither would leaving it in. Any substantive discussion of it, though, *would* be off-topic. Bree, I enjoy your Xmas posts very much, so please continue with them: I am sure that I am not alone in that respect. A Merry Christmas to you all, and let's get back to discussions about HYP, rather than discussions of discussions about HYP. -- MDW1954

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 27th, 2018, 4:57 pm

There is quite a clear and strong feeling about this, judging by the "reccs", and I'm, pleased that MDW on behalf of the mods has recognised this. Well done for feeling the way the wind blows.

Sorry this is OT, but I thought someone should at least recognise and approve of MDW's remarks.

Arb.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » December 27th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Arb,

Thank you. But let's now get back to discussions about HYP, rather than discussions of discussions about HYP. Because that would be thoroughly OT, and impermissible.

MDW1954

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » December 28th, 2018, 11:46 am

MDW1954 wrote:By my calculations, Bree's posted HYP is 95% pure-HYP. For me, that's near enough, although I accept that some may disagree.

MDW1954 - Thanks for clearing this up on behalf of mods. It is appreciated. Inevitably this raises an obvious question which I'll follow up on Biscuit Bar.

Bree - Just want to restate your portfolio looks good. KUTGW.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » December 28th, 2018, 11:48 pm

idpickering wrote:
Breelander wrote:

Have a rec.

Ian.
Moderator Message:
Gents, gents, gents... By my calculations, Bree's posted HYP is 95% pure-HYP. For me, that's near enough, although I accept that some may disagree. Removing the offending share from the calculations wouldn't be the end of the world, and neither would leaving it in. Any substantive discussion of it, though, *would* be off-topic. Bree, I enjoy your Xmas posts very much, so please continue with them: I am sure that I am not alone in that respect. A Merry Christmas to you all, and let's get back to discussions about HYP, rather than discussions of discussions about HYP. -- MDW1954

MDW

Is this the case for all portfolios like Bree's, that are 95% HYP? I ask as mine was posted with one overseas share and I was also asked not to post it here again?

Thanks,
Terry.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » January 2nd, 2019, 12:32 pm

Wizard wrote:
idpickering wrote:
Breelander wrote:I don't. This is no longer the board I knew and loved. I have no wish to post elsewhere. It is simpler to just stop posting.....

Have a rec.

Ian.
Moderator Message:

MDW

Is this the case for all portfolios like Bree's, that are 95% HYP? I ask as mine was posted with one overseas share and I was also asked not to post it here again?

Thanks,
Terry.

Moderator Message:
Dear Wizard,

It is often said here that mods are inflexible and don't listen. In answer to your question, here is one example of mods doing just that: we have listened, considered, and reached a different conclusion.

Were you to have posted your IBM-containing portfolio today, it would be treated as was Bree's "95%-HYP" portfolio, provided that any subsequent comments remain within HYP guidelines, and provided that it does not provoke too many compaints/alerts about it being outwith HYP guidelines.

That said, you should always consider posting on HY Strategies as well. But it wouldn't be moved from HYP-P for such a non-HYP proportion. Please note that the evolution of the thread, and the responses of other posters and Fools, are relevant matters which can cause Mods to need to intervene differently, even if the starting points are apparently similar. Please also note that posting it on another board in the first place would also cause less work for moderators if it subsequently did have to be moved.

The Moderating Team

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » January 3rd, 2019, 8:40 pm

Bumped...

MDW1954

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”