Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Investment Trust Income Portfolio for our Retirement

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Re: Investment Trust Income Portfolio for our Retirement

Postby BusyBumbleBee » September 12th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Hi formoverfunction. Yesterday I wrote
I dipped into these yesterday as I had some spare cash in the pot and have been rewarded today with an SP uplift. However, as you know I don't like small trades as you lose so much in charges so sold some JLEN to make a worthwhile purchase. There were two other reasons for buying this one. It is registered in the channel Islands - so no stamp duty and it pays a dividend in October which was a blank month for me. The trade met all the criteria for this investment style including increasing the annual income from the pot (earnings enhancing as it were!).

I should have added to the reasons that I was aware that JLEN was dangerously close to making an open offer/placing which as sure as eggs is eggs, would knock the price when the RNS came. It came this morning. If you want to participate in this (good value in my opinion) this page shows how. http://jlen.com/images/uploads/news/JLE ... vest_2.pdf

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 12th, 2018, 5:50 pm

I was puzzling why JLEN had fallen today. That apparently was the answer.

RNS link:
https://www.investegate.co.uk/john-lain ... 00054796A/

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » October 4th, 2018, 4:53 pm

formoverfunction, asked if I would update on progress with my portfolio so here is an update for the first 6 months of this tax year.

The unit price is now 7.4% higher than it was at the beginning and 34% up over two years (from when I first started using that measure of performance)

During the period there have been 40 transactions (mostly back to back : when I had cash to reinvest where I sold a share I thought was close to max, added the cash from dividends and bought a share which I thought had more upside than the one I was selling). Out went some of the VCTs - notably the Northern Stable where dividends were cut. In came some high yielding REITs.

The yeast (Greene King and REDt) contributed one percentage point to the upside and NRR had a corresponding negative effect.

JLen and FSFL were disposed of as they were about to issue new shares and I expected a price drop. (correctly as it has turned out!). But I have asked for a commensurate number of JLEN in the upcoming fund raise). I don't miss a dividend on this if it works out.

Current running yield on investments is 7.62% but some is in cash waiting to go back into FSFL.

Comments welcome but next update will be at tax year end.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » January 9th, 2019, 1:55 pm

formoverfunction wrote:Please do [in reply to]
BusyBumbleBee wrote:... and will try to keep you updated on progress. Kind regards - BBB
Well, FormOverFunction, here is the end of Calendar Year update and a Tax Year to Date figure:

Calendar year ending 31st December 2018 : Unit Value was up 9.71%

2018/19 Tax Year to date (9 months): Unit Value up by 8.46% with 3 months to go yet.

Both were helped by Greene King and a purchase of some A J Bell shares - and certainly not helped by the performance of NRR.

Another portfolio that I manage - less actively - has none of those three shares in and has returned 9.13% so far this tax year. It is the first time it has outperformed the more active approach!

If you and perhaps others want fuller updates than perhaps you can set up a topic called "BBB's Strategy Update" - and then it will be easier to see. Rather than mixed in with this topic

with kind regards - BBB

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » June 6th, 2019, 8:20 pm

formoverfunction wrote: Thanks for the comment about RMDL.

Interesting document on RMDL published yesterday : see https://www.investegate.co.uk/hardman-- ... ch%20Alert

or directly to https://www.hardmanandco.com/research/c ... igh-yield/ for the document.

regards - BBB

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » June 10th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Thanks, I've just downloaded the report. I'm going to give it a read in the morning.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » June 10th, 2019, 10:57 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:
formoverfunction wrote: Thanks for the comment about RMDL.

Interesting document on RMDL published yesterday : see https://www.investegate.co.uk/hardman-- ... ch%20Alert

or directly to https://www.hardmanandco.com/research/c ... igh-yield/ for the document.

regards - BBB

I knw nothing about RMDL, but Hardman has recently come to my attention (because of an EQS published on AZN).

If I understand the disclaimers at the end of the RMDL document correctly, the report is promotional material, paid for by RMDL. Treat with caution?

An earlier Hardman report on another financial (Non-Standard Finance) suggested a value of 85-101p/share. Current share price? 43p.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » June 11th, 2019, 3:06 pm

77ss wrote:I know nothing about RMDL, but Hardman has recently come to my attention (because of an EQS published on AZN).

If I understand the disclaimers at the end of the RMDL document correctly, the report is promotional material, paid for by RMDL. Treat with caution?

An earlier Hardman report on another financial (Non-Standard Finance) suggested a value of 85-101p/share. Current share price? 43p.

Totally agreed - what I find interesting in this kind of paid for 'research' is actually the views on other similar companies.

Having said that RMDL do seem to be doing all the right things - regards - BBB

Return to “Investment Strategies”