Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Wow

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
simsqu
Lemon Slice

Wow

Postby simsqu » January 10th, 2019, 11:06 pm

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Wow

Postby bungeejumper » January 11th, 2019, 8:37 am

And to think, it'll save me hundreds of pounds on my make-up bills. :P

BJ

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 11th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Listening to Radio 5 this morning, on the way to work, and they were discussing this bit of tech - apparently the guy doing the radio segment actually tried it at one of the shows and said it knocked 10 years off his looks....

We can scoff all we want at the limits we will go to in our quest to overcomplicate our lives, but if this works well and sells at a good price, then anyone trying to suggest that there isn't a market for such 'look good' processes hasn't really been paying attention...

As an aside, I've been reading a few articles myself regarding the latest round of CES tech-gadgets, and whilst I can't find the particular article at the moment, the one that made me chuckle the most, simply at the wonder of it all and where we're all heading with this type of thing, was yet another 'box' that you put on your table, and you can program it to record and play back certain phrases that you embed into it verbally, with a view that you can then time the playback of those phrases, using an app of some sort, and that these devices can then be used to speak to your Alexa or Google Home devices, when you're not actually in the house, thus setting off an Alexa or Google-home-enabled 'skill' or process....

Where will it all end....??

Maybe one day, our houses simply won't let us in, as all the various 'boxes' will be having such a good time all on their own.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 11th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:As an aside, I've been reading a few articles myself regarding the latest round of CES tech-gadgets

I liked this one: A pencil and paper pad that will work under water. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technolog ... underwater . Brings back fond memories of the old, old joke about NASA spending millions to make a biro that would work in zero gravity, whereas the Russian astronauts simply used a pencil. :lol:

BJ

djbenedict
2 Lemon pips

Postby djbenedict » January 11th, 2019, 2:12 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:As an aside, I've been reading a few articles myself regarding the latest round of CES tech-gadgets

I liked this one: A pencil and paper pad that will work under water. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technolog ... underwater . Brings back fond memories of the old, old joke about NASA spending millions to make a biro that would work in zero gravity, whereas the Russian astronauts simply used a pencil. :lol:

BJ

I've never really understood why people thought the Russian approach preferable. It seems to me that, for something as costly as a space mission, an indelible, unalterable record is preferable to something that can be erased and re-written at will. But perhaps something about the latter appealed to the mindset of the Soviets.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 11th, 2019, 3:04 pm

djbenedict wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Brings back fond memories of the old, old joke about NASA spending millions to make a biro that would work in zero gravity, whereas the Russian astronauts simply used a pencil. :lol:

BJ

I've never really understood why people thought the Russian approach preferable. It seems to me that, for something as costly as a space mission, an indelible, unalterable record is preferable to something that can be erased and re-written at will. But perhaps something about the latter appealed to the mindset of the Soviets.

From Snopes,
Both U.S. astronauts and Soviet cosmonauts initially used pencils on space flights, but those writing instruments were not ideal: pencil tips can flake and break off, and having such objects floating around space capsules in near-zero gravity posed a potential harm to astronauts and equipment.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-write-stuff/

Julian F. G. W.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 11th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Maybe Mrs. Macron will buy her husband one for his birthday :)

R6

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » January 11th, 2019, 5:01 pm

The ever-aging, grotesque painting kept in my attic seems to keep me young.

Cheers, OLTB.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » January 11th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Snorvey wrote:

Were you thinking of that spiders web tattooed on your throat and 'love' and 'hate' inked on your knuckles Sims?

It just might work

Well now Snorvey, that was privileged information that I swore you to never reveal online, but as you've now opened the floodgates I suspect this community may be interested in your penchant for nipple clamps?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 11th, 2019, 6:07 pm

djbenedict wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:

BJ

Back in the 1950s, when I was a bus conductor in my summer holidays, we had to fill in our waybills with indelible pencil.

Ball pens were in their infancy.

TJH

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 11th, 2019, 11:31 pm

Has BNC seen this..make him look 10 years old :lol:

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 12th, 2019, 8:56 pm

This looks pretty neat from CES 2019 -

Trying out new hair colours - https://i.imgur.com/AlmO6t0.gifv

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 13th, 2019, 1:19 am

Itsallaguess wrote:This looks pretty neat from CES 2019 -

Trying out new hair colours - https://i.imgur.com/AlmO6t0.gifv

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Couldn't work out how that was being done?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”