Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Washing, drying and ironing super king bedding

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Washing, drying and ironing super king bedding

Postby Clariman » January 11th, 2019, 11:34 am

We decided to go for a super king size bed when we redid our bedroom last year. It has been great except for washing the bedding! We have a fitted sheet, duvet cover and 4 pillow covers. How do others wash, dry and iron them? It's a bit of a nightmare.

It pretty much has to be 2 loads of washing. Our tumble dryer turns a duvet cover into a perfect cylinder that is wet in the middle but dry on the outside. Ironing also not easy.

Thanks
Clariman

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Washing, drying and ironing super king bedding

Postby kempiejon » January 11th, 2019, 11:47 am

I use a rotary drier and drape each of the largest pieces over the whole thing one at a time fresh out of the washers spin cycle, I have never had a tumble drier nor ironed bedding. I do have 3 sets of bedding so I don't have to wash, dry and replace in a day.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 11th, 2019, 11:56 am

I have a super king size bed and I wash in two batches and am fortunate enough to have a decent sized utility room where, in the winter, I hang the fitted sheet and duvet cover until dry. I then give it a quick whirl through a tumble dryer. I never ever have ironed bedding and it does not seem to need it. In the summer I hang the bedding outside to dry which I much prefer.

I have at least three sets so there is no real pressure to speed up the whole process.

Dod

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 11th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Mrs DM adds an oversheet between the occupants and the duvet cover. No, me neither. However it does mean that she washes the two sheets plus pillow cases more frequently than the duvet cover, and is able to wash them and tumble dry them in a day. Sheets go through about three washes per duvet cover wash.

Mrs DM is a big stickler for things being ironed including pillowcases and dishtowels, but even she draws the line at sheets and duvet covers.

DM

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » January 11th, 2019, 1:08 pm

At this time of year I dry washing (including bedding), by putting it on a clothes airer and sticking it in an unused bedroom with a dehumidifier. About 4 hours seems sufficient to get it almost dry. I then leave it on the airer overnight, and stick in the airing cupboard the following day. It has never occurred to me to iron bedding, or anything else for that matter!

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 11th, 2019, 3:58 pm

This time of the year I dry most bedding and towels out in the barn and then hang them to air on a pulley in the kitchen. I fold duvet cover in half and iron one half at a time, I do not iron fitted sheet although I have been known to iron a sheet once it is on the bed but only if we're having guests that I don't know very well (OK I know it's daft but I seem to have inherited some of my mothers housework gene). I have a weakness for bedding so won't tell you how many sets I have though some of them I've inherited, at least that's my excuse.

R6

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » January 11th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Ah.....the old barn routine. Been looking to buy a barn for ages but not a lot come up in the property sales catalogues these days. They all seem to be attached to farms and smallholdings. The last thing I want is to become is a farmer.

Our au pair is brilliant. She work all hours of the day and night and always manages to get the sheets etc washed and put away. As far as I know she only presses the duvet cover. The secret is to have at least one spare set but preferably more. Getting a good at pair or housekeeper is really the secret.......they deal with all that stuff for you so you don't need to bother with who irons what.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 11th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Not wishing to upstage others, but I find that pegging the duvet and sheets below my helicopter before take-off does the trick. It's even quicker to put them behind the Cessna Citation jet exhausts and rev it up, but that does mean walking to my airstrip with the washing.

regards

Howard

8-) 8-)

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » January 11th, 2019, 6:21 pm

You can always have them dry cleaned.

This company - just an example - will collect, clean and redeliver a duvet from £16. https://laundrapp.com/duvet-quilt-cleaning/

Other suppliers exist, Google your locale (although Laundrapp have good UK coverage).

rivershiven

Postby rivershiven » January 11th, 2019, 7:34 pm

When not able to dry outside on rotary line they are dried on airer in spare room with dehumidifier running for couple of hours. Only iron pillowcases.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » January 11th, 2019, 8:08 pm

The idea of ironing bedding has always completely baffled me. Fitted sheets are smoothed out by the process of being fitted onto the mattress. Duvet covers ditto by the process of going over the duvet which tends to involve a bit of shaking. Body heat of those in the bed achieves the final smoothing! Admittedly - due to four cats in the household - I always have a lightweight cotton throw over the duvet and its cover - but I don't iron that either. I try to line dry and sometimes dry over clothes airers in the house but this time of year I do tend to use the tumble dryer to avoid dampness round the house and even though bedding emerges looking a bit crumpled I just hang it over a door for a bit (works best if item still very slightly damp when you take it out of the tumble dryer) and then the process of putting it on the bed (and, the heat generated by sleeping on/under it) seems to resolve any residual issues.

I mean who sits and looks at their bedding? Unless perhaps you have photographers in from a posh magazine? Otherwise who cares? I put all my effort into clean bedding - which feels and smells great - and none at all into appearance apart from buying nice patterned stuff in the first place.

N.B. I belong to a worldwide movement against the waste of labour and time involved probably 60% to 80% of ironing. I'm prone to dress in pure cotton kaftan type clothing for much of the time. I dry it on the line or in inclement weather on a hanger on a door in the house. It doesn't look perfect when dried but within minutes of putting it on your body heat has completed the non-electric ironing process. I can remember my own shop staff being astonished to learn that I never ironed the clothes I came to work in each day 'but your clothes don't look un-ironed' they said. Well no - they didn't then and they don't now.

cavebat
2 Lemon pips

Postby cavebat » January 11th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Howard wrote:Not wishing to upstage others, but I find that pegging the duvet and sheets below my helicopter before take-off does the trick. It's even quicker to put them behind the Cessna Citation jet exhausts and rev it up, but that does mean walking to my airstrip with the washing.

regards

Howard

8-) 8-)

Gosh, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new set every time you change them?

;-)

cavebat

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 12th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Funnily enough Richlist our barn comes attached to a farm, what a coincidence that you're looking for one, I'm sure we can come to a mutually agreed price that will suit us both but of course I shall still retain clothes drying rights. ;)

R6

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 12th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Stompa wrote:At this time of year I dry washing (including bedding), by putting it on a clothes airer and sticking it in an unused bedroom with a dehumidifier. About 4 hours seems sufficient to get it almost dry. I then leave it on the airer overnight, and stick in the airing cupboard the following day. It has never occurred to me to iron bedding, or anything else for that matter!

Given today's breeze, I hung the sheets and duvet cover out on the rotary dryer.
They were dry in under an hour and are now resting in the airing cupbord.

We too use an oversheet (mainly so we can push the duvet off when too hot) and so also have the 3 to 1 cycle for duvet cover to sheets.

We also do not iron bedding.

Slarti

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » January 13th, 2019, 1:25 am

Why duvets with a decently-insulated house and a well-designed, thermostatically-controlled heating system?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 13th, 2019, 6:56 am

supremetwo wrote:
Why duvets with a decently-insulated house and a well-designed, thermostatically-controlled heating system?

Our central-heating is set to turn off at 8pm - if the house is too warm after that time then we struggle to sleep, and it always feels like a waste of money to continue heating the whole house when everyone is nice and warm in bed.

Our bedroom radiator has a timer-TRV of it's own, which is set to individually turn off at 5pm, so we've got a more granular radiator-control system than we used to have, and can control individual rooms on a timer-based system as well, over and above the overall 8pm system-threshold, which is helpful -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Homexpert-Heating-Controls-Electronic-HR20UK/dp/B007AQ71U4

If we're downstairs after 8pm and still require more local heat then we use the downstairs gas-fire to warm the main downstairs rooms.

I think the noise of the central-heating system running overnight would keep me awake too, so I very much prefer a quiet, colder house at night with a nice duvet.

None of our bedding items have ever met our iron in combat, however....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 13th, 2019, 7:25 am

I seldom heat bedrooms so my bedrooms are cool to cold. In these circumstances a duvet is very helpful. Last night in fact , even without heating my bedroom was too warm with a winter duvet. Apparently it was only down to about 8/10C overnight. I certainly did not sleep all that well as I was too warm.

Dod

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » January 13th, 2019, 8:57 am

supremetwo wrote:Why duvets with a decently-insulated house and a well-designed, thermostatically-controlled heating system?

Older grade 1 & 2 properties with solid walls, high cielings, lots of rooms, draught everywhere can be cold unless you get a few fires built and have a ton or two of timber. It's great to have lots of space, character and history but a duvet is a cheap way to stay comfortable in the depths of winter in an old country house.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » January 15th, 2019, 1:51 pm

I belong to a worldwide movement against the waste of labour and time involved probably 60% to 80% of ironing.

What else is there to do whilst listening to BBC R4?

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » January 15th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Duvet is washed first then put into the tumble drier (separate machine). At the end of td cycle, in again to dry completely. Whilst duvet is being dried, sheets and pillow cases are washed then dried in t/d.

After t/d, duvet and sheets and pillow cases are placed/spread over drying racks to remove any remaining moisture. Duration: from about an hour until I am ready to do the ironing.

Ironing. We have a table press like this but older model -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USAxlWs3rD0 - so we (ie yours truly) can sit down to do the ironing. (Occasionally, Mrs Bnc likes to iron some of her garments herself so I put an ironing board in our kitchen where she can stand up and do her ironing.)

I used to press the duvet and sheets spread out but that was fiddly now I just fold the duvet into strips until they're small enough to fit on the press then press them. The same for the sheets.

We have a spare set (duvet and sheets and pillow cases) so that the bed linen can be changed weekly or more often if need be without having to wait for yours truly to do the washing and ironing.

Amongst our pillow cases are some silk ones. They don't get ironed but after washing are hung on drying racks, not put in the t/d. Were it not for the cost I'd be tempted to replace all our cotton sheets with silk, to avoid ironing.

Return to “Does anyone know?”