Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

RNS announcements posted on this board.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: RNS announcements posted on this board.

Postby Itsallaguess » February 8th, 2019, 7:13 pm

I'd have thought that one of the advantages of investing in large-cap FTSE companies would be that anyone following any mainstream financial news would find out the vast majority of news items that are likely to materially affect them, without having to rely on a third party to provide that news on this board.

I always thought one of the best things to come out of the old Motley Fool boards was the drive to enable investors to become independant, and one of the first things I did was to sign up to the Investegate RNS email service, which will email out RNS news releases, based on personal filters and companies held, so they are as relevant as you want them to be, so you can stipulate only Results releases if required, and it works very well.

Yes, the odd news email might be missed, but that's likely to be the case here, too, if people continue to rely on Ian for their investment-related minutiae, but I'll go back to my earlier point - if it's likey to affect a holding in a large-cap FTSE company, to the point where it's material news, then that news is likely to be splashed all over the mainstream news too....and all the rest is just noise, and I thought the avoidance of noise would help an investor in a long-term investment strategy such as this.....

Here's a link where people can register for the Investegate RNS emails if they are interested - https://www.investegate.co.uk/Alertregistration.aspx

The 'Register' button is towards the lower-right of the above page.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » February 9th, 2019, 12:04 am

OLTB wrote:
idpickering wrote: There is to much childish bickering on this board.

Ian.

No there isn't

:D :D :D

Cheers, OLTB.

I think you'll find that's "Oh, no there isn't"

torata
;)

Wasron
2 Lemon pips

Postby Wasron » February 9th, 2019, 4:51 pm

moorfield wrote:I want to be careful not to dismiss Ian's efforts (thanks Ian), but I worry the majority of news posts here foster an unnecessary level of knee-jerking, dumpology and dither-tinkering (frequently read about here and pyad rightly rails against) - that feeling of "don't just stand there, do something" in action perhaps.

Consider an (anonymous) example posted here recently.

I sold this morning at XXXp after seeing the news.

I don't know if that decision was a direct result of the OPs thread (probably not), experienced contributors almost certainly find the news threads easy to spot and filter, but visiting initiates of HYP might find how it should be practised confusing - after all, aren't we supposed to be ignoring the news?

Moorfield,

Your quote is taken from a comment I made on the recent Petrofac thread. From your recent portfolio review I can see you aren’t a holder of Petrofac, but if you were you might have appreciated that the news this week wasn’t ‘noise’. Context was provided in the next sentence in my post. This bribery investigation had caused a collapse in the Petrofac share price in the spring of 2017 and led to a major dividend cut. The price had been recovering over the last 18 months, but if this news put the price back where it was in June 2017 that would be a near 40% drop. That’s many years of dividends.

My view, is that this is why we read the news. 90% of it can wash over a HYPer, but you do sometimes need to be decisive.

Regards,

Wasron

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » February 9th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Wasron wrote:Moorfield,

Your quote is taken from a comment I made on the recent Petrofac thread. From your recent portfolio review I can see you aren’t a holder of Petrofac, but if you were you might have appreciated that the news this week wasn’t ‘noise’. Context was provided in the next sentence in my post. This bribery investigation had caused a collapse in the Petrofac share price in the spring of 2017 and led to a major dividend cut. The price had been recovering over the last 18 months, but if this news put the price back where it was in June 2017 that would be a near 40% drop. That’s many years of dividends.

My view, is that this is why we read the news. 90% of it can wash over a HYPer, but you do sometimes need to be decisive.

Regards,

Wasron

Ah... busted! :oops:

I agree one sometimes needs to be decisive and sell, but I advocate those decisions should be determined in context of the overall income a HYP is producing (or not). If you've read my review then you'll be familiar with my income vs. target graph, the point of which is to help detach myself from "news". If that sounds naive then consider this - you'll also know from my review that my overall income took a 100% capital and income loss from the Carillion holding and remains on target.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » February 9th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Wasron wrote:From your recent portfolio review I can see you aren’t a holder of Petrofac, but if you were you might have appreciated that the news this week wasn’t ‘noise’.

Edit: ... were I holding Petrofac my most likely action now would be to hold without top ups for the forseeable future. In other words, I do pay attention to "news" when buying, but overall income is my primary indicator when selling.

Wasron
2 Lemon pips

Postby Wasron » February 9th, 2019, 6:44 pm

moorfield wrote:Edit: ... were I holding Petrofac my most likely action now would be to hold without top ups for the forseeable future. In other words, I do pay attention to "news" when buying, but overall income is my primary indicator when selling.

I respect that view, and for probably every other holding I have a 10% price drop would have been shrugged off, but I had a strong suspicion that the price wasn’t going to stop falling there, based on current market reactions to bad news and their previous record, so I managed to avoid a further 20% fall over the next couple of hours.

If it turns out that the only way that Petrofac can compete in one of their major markets is to commit bribery then their business model is in trouble...and potentially the dividend stream once more undermined.

But this is straying off topic for this thread, so i’ll leave it there.

Regards.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » February 9th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Wasron wrote:...and potentially the dividend stream once more undermined.

Potentially but not certainly. QED ;) You're right, we stray ...

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 11th, 2019, 11:45 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Here's a link where people can register for the Investegate RNS emails if they are interested - https://www.investegate.co.uk/Alertregistration.aspx

I was made aware that the URL link in my original post, where people could register for RNS email alerts (Company results etc...) from Investegate, was not working, so we've been able to modify the free-registration URL now so that it works correctly -

https://www.investegate.co.uk/Alertregistration.aspx

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”