Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

IT's and Issue of Equity

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Darka
Lemon Slice

IT's and Issue of Equity

Postby Darka » February 13th, 2019, 9:16 am

I use Investigate to receive various notifications about the shares and IT's that I hold.

I've noticed that there seem to be a large number of "Issues of Equity" from some of the IT's, which I'm confused about.

I thought they couldn't issue new equity, and I assume dilute our own holdings without it being voted on, or at least telling us in advance?

E.g. For City of London (CTY)

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/shares ... ket?page=3

regards,
Darka

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Re: IT's and Issue of Equity

Postby nmdhqbc » February 13th, 2019, 9:43 am

I've often pondered the exact consequences of these issues of equity too. I know for sure that they do not adversely effect current holders. In fact they issue the equity normally when the share price is higher than the NAV. So they get cash for the new shares at the share price and can buy more of the underlying assets at a lower price.

What I'm not too sure on is the effects on dividends. If anyone in the know can clarify that would be great. I have a feeling the dividend reserves does get diluted. Also it seems that the current years accumulated dividend might get diluted too. Dividends received before the issue was from fewer shares but gets paid out to the increased number of shares.

So my theory is they minimally help capital value but less minimally hinder dividends. Am I close?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 13th, 2019, 9:59 am

ITs use the sale of new shares above NAV as part of their discount control mechanism. If the shares are at a discount, then they buy some back. Both actions work in favour of existing shareholders. I went to the BCI AGM yesterday and Julian Cane was asked this precise question. The last time that BCI bought back shares was December 2017.

TJH

StOmer

Postby StOmer » February 13th, 2019, 10:05 am

Are the issues not from 'Treasury'?' as in simply re-issuing those previously bought back.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 13th, 2019, 10:08 am

StOmer wrote:Are the issues not from 'Treasury'?' as in simply re-issuing those previously bought back.

Only if they have shares held in Treasury. In most cases they are new shares, and the directors have been given authority to issue new shares for cash at the AGM

TJH

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » February 13th, 2019, 10:45 am

tjh290633 wrote:ITs use the sale of new shares above NAV as part of their discount control mechanism. If the shares are at a discount, then they buy some back. Both actions work in favour of existing shareholders. I went to the BCI AGM yesterday and Julian Cane was asked this precise question. The last time that BCI bought back shares was December 2017.
TJH

Thanks Terry, That makes sense.

regards,
Jonathan

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 13th, 2019, 10:57 am

nmdhqbc wrote:I've often pondered the exact consequences of these issues of equity too. I know for sure that they do not adversely effect current holders. In fact they issue the equity normally when the share price is higher than the NAV. So they get cash for the new shares at the share price and can buy more of the underlying assets at a lower price.

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

Adverse effect on current holders is a matter of the current holder's perspective. When they issue new shares is when demand is high, so shares could be expected to move to a (higher) premium if no new shares were issued. Some existing holders - those looking to sell, or those to whom nominal portfolio value matters for reasons like determining the tax-free lump sum from a pension - would stand to benefit from a higher premium.

Some ITs are basically managed as OEICs. A sure sign of that is the frequent (sometimes daily) notices of share issuance/buyback when at a premium/discount. Authority for the directors to do that is presumably rubber-stamped in a resolution at each AGM.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”