Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Company news board

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Wasron
2 Lemon pips

Company news board

Postby Wasron » February 16th, 2019, 6:53 pm

I think it’s a good development to add the Company News board.

As a way to pull together all the news that’s gathered on HYP Practical is it possible to run queries against the underlying database?

For example, list all threads with no replies?
These are likely to be candidates for the new board.

Glaxo and AstraZeneca probably make up a lot of these, due to market rules meaning they have to drip feed news on a regular basis.

If it’s not simple to do then it’s probably not worth the bother.

Regards,

Wasron

stooz
Site Admin

Re: Company news board

Postby stooz » February 16th, 2019, 7:29 pm

I could do something, but I always think a human eye is better.

Wasron
2 Lemon pips

Postby Wasron » February 16th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Yeah no worries, I wasn’t looking to create work for someone, just thinking through my fingers.

I agree about the human eye, my idea was just about the initial pass to cut down the dataset to something the eye can then quickly manage.

Regards

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » February 16th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Personally I think it was perfectly fine where it was but thats your call. I've reduced my time on this site and you guys will know better than me but it feels like there is less traffic on here these days. I used to really enjoy it on here, less so now.

Walrus

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » February 16th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Will do a sweep back and move as many as I find. Be patient we are work in progress still on there.

Raptor

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » February 16th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Walrus wrote:Personally I think it was perfectly fine where it was but that's your call. I've reduced my time on this site and you guys will know better than me but it feels like there is less traffic on here these days. I used to really enjoy it on here, less so now.

Walrus

It's a volunteer-owned and administered site. We're doing the best we can, under difficult circumstances. It's not easy.

To be blunt, if high-maintenance "troublesome" types are no longer so active, we won't regard that as the end of the world. I've no idea if traffic is lower or not, I don't see the stats, but I do know that several temporary and permanent bans are in place. In each case, it's been people who simply wouldn't abide by the rules.

We're trying to build something that works, that is sustainable, and which gives us what TMF gave us. As Raptor says, it's a work in progress. Month on month, it's getting better. Tidier and more logical boards are part of that process.

Personally, I'm delighted to be part of the project, and input (unpaid) time to help sustain the former TMF community.

MDW1954

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » February 19th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Just a brief comment in passing....

I've just read four threads on the new Company News board. Each had a single new post. Each one was a link to a post on the HYP - Practical board which contained a post for the latest results from the company concerned.

As I had already read through the new posts on the HYP - Practical board, I had also therefore read the posts linked to from the Company News board.

This does not seem to me to very efficient :(

I'm not certain if this new board is achieving what I hoped it would. Perhaps it's too new to judge yet.

Adrian

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 19th, 2019, 9:05 pm

AJC5001 wrote:
As I had already read through the new posts on the HYP - Practical board, I had also therefore read the posts linked to from the Company News board.

This does not seem to me to very efficient..

Serious point - does efficiency really come into it when people are relying on a volunteer on a third-party bulletin board to provide them with their important investment news-flow?

I think the news board provides some important benefits -

1. It's certainly focussed the on-topic requirements for the HYP Practical news-flow. We are seeing that straight away, I think.

2. It provides a place where people can still provide off-topic (for HYP Practical) company news-flow, if they want to.

3. It provides a place where off-topic (for HYP Practical) news-flow can be moved to, without too much disruption.

I think the longer term benefits of the board will hopefully become apparent over time....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » February 20th, 2019, 8:52 am

One point and one question on the new board, which for the avoidance of doubt I think is a very good idea.

Is the idea that the news is just posted, or is it OK to also post opinions and discuss any particular news item? Apologies if this is expain somewhere and I have missed that.

To the earlier point on duplication and effort by mods. I think the key is that a bit of short term effort will hopefully result in new behaviours, i.e. if news postings are moved and mirror postings on HYP practical deleted (not locked), hopefully it will get the items put in the right place going forward.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » February 20th, 2019, 2:01 pm

The Company News forum is definitely open to discussion posts. You have to remember not everyone runs a HYP so the ability to discuss "News" that is outside of HYP talk is probably welcome by posters.

If we do move a post from another Board, we will first make a decision on whether a "shadow" is worth leaving. It could be just a post on the wrong board for instance. When we leave a shadow the "software" does not allow us to do anything, anyone wanting to post on the subject will appear on the thread/board it has been moved to.

If someone posts news on Company News and later adds a link from another board then we have 2 options, if it is a link from within another thread then we will leave it as is. If on the other hand someone see something on Company News and believes it might be useful to another forum, then we will lock it so that all discussions are in one place. Whether we move addition posts or not is down to the moderator and the board.

I think the moderator effort is worth it. Not sure what others think but to me anything that eases Moderation on the HYP boards is worth the effort. Especially if it helps posters on HYP boards.

Raptor.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » February 21st, 2019, 12:33 pm

Raptor wrote:If on the other hand someone see something on Company News and believes it might be useful to another forum, then we will lock it so that all discussions are in one place.

In view of the guidance that "We will only allow ONE thread per company" in viewtopic.php?f=94&t=16288, I cannot see that locking a thread on Company News because a particular item of news about the company is best discussed elsewhere makes any kind of sense. Not even temporarily while the discussion elsewhere completes, both because the discussion elsewhere may take quite a long time to complete and because it's perfectly possible for a company to release different news items with very different relevance to other boards in close proximity to each other.

Basically, the flip side of that "We will only allow ONE thread per company" guidance is that locking the thread should be regarded very much as a last resort - the only good reason I can think of for doing it is if a highly unfriendly argument has broken out on the thread and persisted despite moderator comments, etc, so that the people involved need to be forced to take time to cool down (and possibly the moderators need time to decide on deletions, warnings, etc). And even then, it should be temporary, with the thread being unlocked again once those things have happened.

Oh yes, one other reason for locking a thread: if the company has ceased to exist for investment purposes, after a decent amount of time has elapsed for things to settle down (e.g. Carillion ceased to exist for investment purposes in January last year, but if Company News had existed then and had had a Carillion thread, I certainly wouldn't have wanted that thread locked immediately!). That sort of locking would very likely be permanent.

Gengulphus

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » February 21st, 2019, 1:56 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
Raptor wrote:If on the other hand someone see something on Company News and believes it might be useful to another forum, then we will lock it so that all discussions are in one place.

In view of the guidance that "We will only allow ONE thread per company" in viewtopic.php?f=94&t=16288, I cannot see that locking a thread on Company News because a particular item of news about the company is best discussed elsewhere makes any kind of sense. Not even temporarily while the discussion elsewhere completes, both because the discussion elsewhere may take quite a long time to complete and because it's perfectly possible for a company to release different news items with very different relevance to other boards in close proximity to each other.

Basically, the flip side of that "We will only allow ONE thread per company" guidance is that locking the thread should be regarded very much as a last resort - the only good reason I can think of for doing it is if a highly unfriendly argument has broken out on the thread and persisted despite moderator comments, etc, so that the people involved need to be forced to take time to cool down (and possibly the moderators need time to decide on deletions, warnings, etc). And even then, it should be temporary, with the thread being unlocked again once those things have happened.

Oh yes, one other reason for locking a thread: if the company has ceased to exist for investment purposes, after a decent amount of time has elapsed for things to settle down (e.g. Carillion ceased to exist for investment purposes in January last year, but if Company News had existed then and had had a Carillion thread, I certainly wouldn't have wanted that thread locked immediately!). That sort of locking would very likely be permanent.

Gengulphus

You misunderstood. The "lock" would be on the other board not Company News.

Raptor.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » February 21st, 2019, 2:44 pm

Raptor wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:

In view of the guidance that "We will only allow ONE thread per company" in viewtopic.php?f=94&t=16288, I cannot see that locking a thread on Company News because a particular item of news about the company is best discussed elsewhere makes any kind of sense. ...

You misunderstood. The "lock" would be on the other board not Company News.

Well, if you change what you're using "it" to refer to halfway through a sentence, I think you can expect such misunderstandings! But thanks for the clarification.

Gengulphus

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 21st, 2019, 10:27 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Serious point - does efficiency really come into it when people are relying on a volunteer on a third-party bulletin board to provide them with their important free investment news-flow?

Itsallaguess

Fixed that for you....

Mel

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 25th, 2019, 2:10 pm

The board in question is named Company Share news (FTSE) and the Forum rules state No penny shares or promotional posts.

The helpful listing per company, maintained I believe by Itsallaguess, is here viewtopic.php?f=94&t=16288. I haven't checked fully but those are probably all FTSE 100.

Is FTSE intended to be restricted to the FTSE 100 or do shares in other FTSE indices qualify, such as the FTSE 250 (and thus 350)?

Kindly also confirm that FTSE AIM shares are not for that board and should primarily be discussed at Shares ideas, which could also include penny shares (however defined).

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » February 25th, 2019, 2:39 pm

PinkDalek wrote:The board in question is named Company Share news (FTSE) and the Forum rules state No penny shares or promotional posts.

The helpful listing per company, maintained I believe by Itsallaguess, is here viewtopic.php?f=94&t=16288. I haven't checked fully but those are probably all FTSE 100.

Is FTSE intended to be restricted to the FTSE 100 or do shares in other FTSE indices qualify, such as the FTSE 250 (and thus 350)?

Kindly also confirm that FTSE AIM shares are not for that board and should primarily be discussed at Shares ideas, which could also include penny shares (however defined).

We have asked for the board to be FTSE350. I will update the guidance. I will also add a link to "shares" for those who want to add company news for others.

The "list" of shares is a joint effort as we have a number of moderators who have asked to "moderate" that board. Itsallaguess created the "sticky" and admin made it sticky.

Raptor

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » February 25th, 2019, 8:35 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Is FTSE intended to be restricted to the FTSE 100 or do shares in other FTSE indices qualify, such as the FTSE 250 (and thus 350)?

I think there's another point about what's not for the new board and should instead be discussed at Share Ideas: the new board is for posting news about the company, discussing its significance, etc. If e.g. something arises from someone running a filter on all shares in the market and one of the results stands out to them as worthy of further research and discussion, it may well be a wonderful idea of theirs and worth bringing to people's attention - but it is an idea of theirs, not news about the company.

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”