Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS Data Sheet.

Discussions regarding financial software
Raptor
Lemon Quarter

HYPTUSS Data Sheet.

Postby Raptor » March 9th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Cannot remember if it was something on this forum or a private PM conversation but I asked a question about how the HYPTUSS looked up details in the "Digital Look Data Sheet". I modify the "new data sheet sector" column on my ITs and some shares to meet my needs. What I was asking was if I made copies of all the entries I change and add them to the beginning of the "list" would this cause any problems for the lookups for any of the functions within HYPTUSS. Kiloran said he would have to look through the "code" to see. I said not to bother and I will do a major test later.

Well at the time I did a "dirty" check and it seemed fine. Well today I did a more complete test and found everything worked fine with 2 entries. I did find that the one exception was from the "dividends" page, clicking on "Corporate Investors Web Page", seemed to pick the last entry. I found this as the entry I have for BT went to a page that no longer existed (I retested by deleting the url in vodafone, gave the message that confirms no entry for that company). I changed the first entry to the correct page and it still went to the invalid page, changing the second entry fixed the problem.

The real problem though was using "add share" button on HIGH YIELD PORTFOLIO tab came up with a list not containing the added lines. Fixed that by adding them after the 3i group entry.

Not sure whether there is any need for this for anyone else who changes the "sectors" but thought it worth the trouble doing the tests for my own use.

Raptor.

BTW kiloran BTs dividend page is now https://www.btplc.com/Sharesandperforma ... /index.htm

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYPTUSS Data Sheet.

Postby kiloran » March 9th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Many thanks for the feedback, Raptor.

I think your idea is very useful, but we have not had time to look through the code.... Itsallaguess and I have been working on an updated HYPTUSS with some new functionality. Looks like the Excel and LibreOffice versions are now working to our satisfaction, and I'm currently updating the User Guide.

I'd like to look further at your ideas when we have the update out of the way. I guess your comments relate to Excel. The LiberOffice version may be different since the Python code is written independently of the Excel VBA code.

--kiloran
Oh, and thanks for the heads-up for the BT web page change. I'll include this in the HYPTUSS update

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » March 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

kiloran wrote:Many thanks for the feedback, Raptor.

I think your idea is very useful, but we have not had time to look through the code.... Itsallaguess and I have been working on an updated HYPTUSS with some new functionality. Looks like the Excel and LibreOffice versions are now working to our satisfaction, and I'm currently updating the User Guide.

I'd like to look further at your ideas when we have the update out of the way. I guess your comments relate to Excel. The LiberOffice version may be different since the Python code is written independently of the Excel VBA code.

--kiloran

Sorry. Yes, I am running the Excel Version. I may get around to looking at the VBA code as to why that fails and I think I remember something being said about a problem with the "add share" at some point in the past, so may also review that.

Look forward to the new HYPTUSS.

Raptor.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 9th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Raptor wrote:
Cannot remember if it was something on this forum or a private PM conversation but I asked a question about how the HYPTUSS looked up details in the "Digital Look Data Sheet". I modify the "new data sheet sector" column on my ITs and some shares to meet my needs. What I was asking was if I made copies of all the entries I change and add them to the beginning of the "list" would this cause any problems for the lookups for any of the functions within HYPTUSS. Kiloran said he would have to look through the "code" to see. I said not to bother and I will do a major test later.

Well at the time I did a "dirty" check and it seemed fine. Well today I did a more complete test and found everything worked fine with 2 entries. I did find that the one exception was from the "dividends" page, clicking on "Corporate Investors Web Page", seemed to pick the last entry. I found this as the entry I have for BT went to a page that no longer existed (I retested by deleting the url in vodafone, gave the message that confirms no entry for that company). I changed the first entry to the correct page and it still went to the invalid page, changing the second entry fixed the problem.

The real problem though was using "add share" button on HIGH YIELD PORTFOLIO tab came up with a list not containing the added lines. Fixed that by adding them after the 3i group entry.

Not sure whether there is any need for this for anyone else who changes the "sectors" but thought it worth the trouble doing the tests for my own use.

Hi Raptor,

I'm still not quite clear on what modifications you're making to the Digital Look data-sheet, and why, so just to help avoid any confusion, can you please show a worked example of the type of mod you're carrying out, and explain the need to do so?

No need to show all the current columns in your example, but certainly where you're making additional, duplicate entries, and then modifying some of the column-data in any particular duplicated-line-entry, then showing an example of this type of duplication and what you're modifying will help, I think.

As to the VBA 'failing', it would only be 'failing' if it wasn't doing what it was supposed to do - and it was never written to cope with user-modifications that delivered multiple-entries for the same shares on the data-sheet. At worst, it's simply 'not coping' with your personal modifications..., but it's certainly not 'failing'.... ;)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » March 9th, 2019, 3:13 pm

I have modified the vba to allow me to sub divide the ITs. The current code checks for string "Equity ....... etc". I have mine sub divided into what kind of IT it is. Also I put both vod and bt as telecommunications, sla as asset management. So I change the sectors to meet my own criteria. I will see if I can find a link to my portfolio. Am on tablet at moment and my spreadsheets are on the laptop.

Raptor.

Edited as found link to 2018 portfolio viewtopic.php?p=129024#p129024 also if you follow link to 2017 portfolio you can see the sector changes

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”