Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 3rd, 2019, 1:25 am

GrandOiseau wrote:When I went into M+S it seemed really pricey and also had lots of craft beers that I am wary of - stuff in cans with hipster names.

Yes I am on old fart.

I don't recollect a beer called Old Fart, but I've encountered a wine of that name. Sadly it didn't inspire me to try it a second time (and neither did the similarly-inspiringly-named Old Git).

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 3rd, 2019, 2:01 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:When I went into M+S it seemed really pricey and also had lots of craft beers that I am wary of - stuff in cans with hipster names.

Yes I am on old fart.

They have regular 4 for 3 offers, which help.
I think they take the lowest priced item as the free one so be careful if you have a mix of (say) £2.50 and £1.90 cans - sometimes it's cheaper to put them through separately

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » March 3rd, 2019, 6:58 pm

Yes I am on old fart.

Depends, I suppose. I really quite like their British Lager. £6 for 4*500ml. Red cans with a lions-head design, you might find some 4-packs in the fridge section too. It is waaay far from the likes of Stella/'Kroney' and the price seems reasonable, and is very sessionable.
They've quite a few lines done by major breweries sold under their own M+S name, you might be surprised the quality name breweries producing some of them (Shepherd Neame, Marstons, and so on AFAIR).
I was quite surprised to see someone (you in this case :)) associating hipsters with craft beer. I don't. I associate hipsters with drama, and over-hopped, cartoon-littered labelled mega hop-bombs. To me craft = crafting, and a complimentary flavour as a whole. Quite opposite really IMHO...

I approach anything labelled in cartoons with caution.
Doubly so if the labelling uses dayglo colours.
Tripley so if the beer is a pale-ale (especially 'APA', American Pale Ale)
4* so if it has an infantile name [example 'Drygate Disco Fork-lift Truck']
5* so if the labelling boasts the multiple number of kinds of hops it contains...

Houston, we have a problem: https://www.beavertownbrewery.co.uk/beer/lupuloid/
https://www.beavertownbrewery.co.uk/beer/gamma-ray/
Mikkeller: 'Hair in the Mailbox', and 'Stick a finger in the soil' etc * scores = purlease!
https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/drink ... ers-in-ms/

I DO try such beers. But then invariably I think why bother when I could be enjoying Fullers 1845, as just one benchmark, a true gem of a beer IMPO, and it'll costs me less.

Skotch
Lemon Pip

Postby Skotch » March 4th, 2019, 10:03 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Currently on Neck Oil (Beavertown) from M&S, after a nice Mikkeler from same. Reading M&S have a pretty good range

Had some Neck Oil on Saturday night - not bad for a canned drink. Then had a can of their Gamma Ray - much deeper flavour - would happily drink more of it.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » March 4th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Great posts above from AC, Skotch, DE, GO etc., all made me smile.

I've written on this thread previously about Beavertwown, who set it up, who has more recently taken a stake, how Neck Oil got its name, and how Mrs BD often has one whilst cooking dinner. I've also noted, perhaps along the lines of DE's post, that there are a large number of 'bandwagon jumpers' knocking out drivel in a bright can with a whacky name, and getting away with it for now at least. Hopefully, like any new market, the craft side of brewing will settle down, be exposed to true supply and demand based on the product itself, and with this many will wither and die, brewers that is, not drinkers!

There have already been some brewers emerge from different countries as leaders in terms of product of course, with the likes of Stone from California, Brewdog from Scotland, Mikkeller from Denmark, and some very established brewers emerging in the UK with the likes of Cloudwater in Manchester, Northern Monk in Leeds, Tiny rebel in South Wales, Four Pure in London, Wild Beer from Somerset, Cromarty in Scotland, and this list goes on.

Just last Friday I was in Mikkeller's bar in Berlin and, as it was only late afternoon and with a long evening ahead of me elsewhere in that fabulous city, I limited myself to two relatively light beers which I almost hesitate to name as DE will laugh, "Peter, Pale and Mary" and "Running Club", both of which were excellent. As an aside, over the weekend along with the regular excellent German/Berlin beers, I also tried a couple of newer entrant Berlin craft beers including Heidenpeters (with their 'Thirsty Lady' PA) which were, unsurprisingly, good.

So I'm all for the new additions to the beer universe, alongside more established well loved beers of course. I do however roll my eyes and skip some of the more 'brightly coloured, whacky named, just for the sake of it' silly looking beers, but alongside these there are some excellent beers being made and sold.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » March 10th, 2019, 9:16 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Just last Friday I was in Mikkeller's bar in Berlin and, as it was only late afternoon and with a long evening ahead of me elsewhere in that fabulous city, I limited myself to two relatively light beers which I almost hesitate to name as DE will laugh, "Peter, Pale and Mary" and "Running Club", both of which were excellent. As an aside, over the weekend along with the regular excellent German/Berlin beers, I also tried a couple of newer entrant Berlin craft beers including Heidenpeters (with their 'Thirsty Lady' PA) which were, unsurprisingly, good.
So I'm all for the new additions to the beer universe, alongside more established well loved beers of course. I do however roll my eyes and skip some of the more 'brightly coloured, whacky named, just for the sake of it' silly looking beers, but alongside these there are some excellent beers being made and sold.

I hope you enjoyed Berlin! Together with Munich, and some other German cities, they're great for a beer-tour.
Yes I laugh at some of the hipster beer names (esp the Mikkeller ones which are frankly pretty silly when translated 'but then they know that' right?) - but then some of the trad real ale names seemed pretty silly back when that fashion started out, and now in an ironic way it seems trad/quaint.

In Berlin IME it's worth checking out a good drinks/beer shop or two, their range will be much wider and better than local supermarkets, and they shouldn't be priced higher. Some of them stock vast ranges incl obscure stuff, and there are some interesting things that can be found.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » March 11th, 2019, 1:59 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
I hope you enjoyed Berlin! Together with Munich, and some other German cities, they're great for a beer-tour.

I did enjoy Berlin but I'm no stranger to the city. I was there for a concert up on the edge of Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg if you know the city, hence drinking in the Mikkeller Bar on Torstrasse first, and the following night was spent in Kreuzberg, around SO36 if you know your music venues, which is just heaven on earth for anyone who likes good bars, with great atmosphere, and superb German/Berlin beer.

Berlin is a top 3 city in the world to visit IMHO, and unlike many 'city breaks' is one you can repeat numerous times, in different months, and never get tired of the place. It's unique historically, and culturally, again IMHO.

WRT to Berlin beer tours, the only one I've been on a couple of years ago is the Craft Beer Tour run by an American called Cliff. It was a very messy fun filled evening despite awfully wet weather! :lol:

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 11th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Out for lunch with my Son and his wife today. We ate at Cafe Rouge, who had a 0.5% alcohol beer, called "Nanny State". Very nice with a lot of flavour, in fact the best low/no alcohol beer that I have come across.

TJH

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » March 11th, 2019, 5:05 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Out for lunch with my Son and his wife today. We ate at Cafe Rouge, who had a 0.5% alcohol beer, called "Nanny State". Very nice with a lot of flavour, in fact the best low/no alcohol beer that I have come across.

TJH

Yes, it's by Brewdog who really 'went to town' with a full combination of malts and hops to make a low (not 'no') alcohol beer, and I agree, it's probably the best. I'm assuming at Cafe Rouge it was a bottle, but can be found on tap too, most usually in Brewdog's own bars.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 11th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Yes it was a bottle at Cafe Rouge.

TJH

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » April 12th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Last night was sat in the pub with a pint of Andwell's Resolute. And very nice it was too. While I was there a friend sent me a text "I've got a spare ticket for Saturday night at the beer festival you want it?". Reader, my arm was sufficiently twisted.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » April 14th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Just tried a beer this evening for the first time, a Thornbridge Tart. Talk about mouth-puckeringly sour, tasting more like a grapefruit soda than beer. Does anyone know anyone who drinks such beer ['sours']; I'm struggling here!

Skotch
Lemon Pip

Postby Skotch » April 15th, 2019, 3:40 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Just tried a beer this evening for the first time, a Thornbridge Tart. Talk about mouth-puckeringly sour, tasting more like a grapefruit soda than beer. Does anyone know anyone who drinks such beer ['sours']; I'm struggling here!

Was it a beer soured with citrus or a Lambic style beer? Just curious as I can never see the point in drinking something that makes you screw your face up for pleasure

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » April 15th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Skotch wrote:
DiamondEcho wrote:Just tried a beer this evening for the first time, a Thornbridge Tart. Talk about mouth-puckeringly sour, tasting more like a grapefruit soda than beer. Does anyone know anyone who drinks such beer ['sours']; I'm struggling here!

Was it a beer soured with citrus or a Lambic style beer? Just curious as I can never see the point in drinking something that makes you screw your face up for pleasure

As it so happens I tried a Thornbridge Tart last night too - selected at random from a mixed case of 33cl bottles my other half bought two weeks ago when she stopped by the Thornbridge Brewery in Bakewell. I quite liked it, in an odd kind of way, even though I don't normally drink sour beers, but I wouldn't want more than one. I found it quite refreshing. My other half loved it but then she's a serious wine drinker; it reminded us more of a natural wine than a beer i.e. natural wine typically uses wild yeast and the fermentation is barely controlled. The biggest surprise to me was that it was 6% ABV. Still think I'll stick to the case of Jaipur on balance ;-)

All the best, Si

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » April 15th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Skotch wrote:

No, no added juice, just the 'usual' ingredients. I wasn't expecting it to be half as challenging. So the citrus flavour must have come from the hops. That said... checking their site they say 'Our Bakewell Sour pours a golden yellow colour with a white head. The beer is refreshingly tart and dry with a combination of citrusy hops and flavours of grapefruit and bitter lemon.' https://thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/products/tart'. That clearly suggests they've also added citrus flavours in addition to the citrussy hops. And no Skotch, I'm willing to try different things on the basis you might discover new things you like*. That said if I had thought the beer would be as is I might not have bothered. What I do note though is with Thornbridge you ought to expect the unexpected - I've had some absolute gems, and then... ones like this. I also see they are a tie-up with the Wild Beer Co., who do all manner of hipster/mega-hopped and generally pretty obnoxious modern over-hopped beers that taste like 'grapefruitade' [you can buy a mult-pack of theirs from Waitrose, for anyone with a well coiffed beard :lol: ).

*Major case-in-point. Guiness on tap in London put me off 'black beer' for 20 years, total embargo. Then I lived in Germany and tried some schwarzbiers there and I saw what they could be. Now I'll happily try other black beers, stouts, porters etc. Sometimes you just need an unexpected experience to change your longer-term conception.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » April 15th, 2019, 5:37 pm

simoan wrote:As it so happens I tried a Thornbridge Tart last night too - selected at random from a mixed case of 33cl bottles my other half bought two weeks ago when she stopped by the Thornbridge Brewery in Bakewell. I quite liked it, in an odd kind of way, even though I don't normally drink sour beers, but I wouldn't want more than one. I found it quite refreshing. My other half loved it but then she's a serious wine drinker; it reminded us more of a natural wine than a beer i.e. natural wine typically uses wild yeast and the fermentation is barely controlled. The biggest surprise to me was that it was 6% ABV. Still think I'll stick to the case of Jaipur on balance ;-) All the best, Si

Wow, well that's some coincidence!
'Refreshing' lol, I think I'd go for palate-stripping, but there we go.
I see your point re: wine-like properties. Yep it leant more that way for me too [an ultra-dry white?] than being beer-like, which added to the confusion.
Re: wild yeast wine, maybe that connects with Thornbridge's tie-up with the Wild Beer Co? ...
Yep, the 6% didn't even get a look-in, the citrus/acidity just blew that body right out of the water. That doesn't = good crafting/balancing to me.
As said Thornbridge do produce some stunning beers, and I'm with you re: their Jaipur, that is something very special IMHO.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » April 15th, 2019, 8:19 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Wow, well that's some coincidence!
'Refreshing' lol, I think I'd go for palate-stripping, but there we go.
I see your point re: wine-like properties. Yep it leant more that way for me too [an ultra-dry white?] than being beer-like, which added to the confusion.
Re: wild yeast wine, maybe that connects with Thornbridge's tie-up with the Wild Beer Co? ...
Yep, the 6% didn't even get a look-in, the citrus/acidity just blew that body right out of the water. That doesn't = good crafting/balancing to me.
As said Thornbridge do produce some stunning beers, and I'm with you re: their Jaipur, that is something very special IMHO.

Yes, big coincidence particularly given the complete randomness on my own choice. I could just as easily have picked up a Halcyon, Skull Rocker, Kipling or AM:PM from the fridge! I completely understand where you're coming from on the acidity but I had just done 3 hours of heavy gardening work and so it went down a treat, but then pretty much anything would have done :-). I just found it quite interesting although not a style of beer I would normally drink. It reminded me of some of the natural whites I tried at the RAW wine fair a couple of years ago due to it's slightly wild and acidic nature. I'd be interested to know how it was made but the ingredients all looked fairly standard so I assume something strange happened during fermentation leading to some volatile compounds/acidity that you see in some natural wines.

Of the others I've tried to date, the Crackendale (single hop Citra) is not a patch on the Oakham version and Kipling is nice but a bit too much pine for my tastes. Halcyon is my fave thus far of the "it's not Jaipur" selection. Good news is that she also stopped off in Buxton so I have some cans of Axe Edge and Myrcia to work my way through too. Happy Days! :-)

All the best, Si

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 24th, 2019, 5:43 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Far better is the Sheffield Tap, bang on the station platform, much better selection of beer, plenty of places to sit inside and outside, and no capacity issues with the toilets, and they have their own micro on site. For anyone who hasn't been, it's the old waiting room, and is a splendid example of regenerating a beautiful Edwardian building, and putting it to excellent use. http://www.sheffieldtap.com/

Replying to an ancient post I know, but was there yesterday and was very impressed. Great place to sit and watch stressed, hot, commuters on the station platform as you down an excellent pint.

Scott.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 27th, 2019, 9:12 am

While in Sheffield, at the Head of Steam they had a beer called Pump up the Jam on cask. Described as a "jam doughnut pale ale". Must be some kind of euphemism I thought, and I'll try anything once.

Well if you can imagine eating a jam doughnut while drinking beer, this was exactly it. A very weird and not entirely pleasant blend of tastes.

You live and learn...

Scott.

Skotch
Lemon Pip

Postby Skotch » May 9th, 2019, 11:38 am

I too was at the Sheffield Tap last week - tried a pint of Nine2Five from Dark Revolution brewery in Salisbury - very pleasant. Then I remembered that the Abbeydale Brewery is just south of the station - googled the brewery tap and was directed to the Devonshire Cat in the centre. Nice pub - had a pint of Moonshine - really lovely ale and then to finish, had to have a pint of Absolution - one of my all time fave beers. Wobbly toddle back to the station for the train home. Lovely!

Return to “Drink”