Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

New HYPTUSS versions 11.65 and b-j

Discussions regarding financial software
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: New HYPTUSS versions 11.65 and b-j

Postby Breelander » March 12th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Haylingchris wrote:In my ignorance I had thought Open Office and Libre Office were two names for the same thing!!

Well, yes and no. You can be forgiven for thinking that. Neither of them are actually the original, but they are both direct descendants. Open Office from Sun Microsystems was the original. Sun was taken over by Oracle in 2010...

...In September 2010, the majority of outside OpenOffice.org developers left the project, due to concerns over Sun and then Oracle's management of the project ... to form The Document Foundation (TDF). TDF released the fork LibreOffice in January 2011... In April 2011, Oracle stopped development of OpenOffice.org and fired the remaining Star Division development team...

...In June 2011, Oracle contributed the trademarks to the Apache Software Foundation. It also contributed Oracle-owned code to Apache for relicensing under the Apache License... This code drop formed the basis for the Apache OpenOffice project.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org

LibreOffice is by far the best developed/supported of the two.

A detailed 60-page report in June 2015 compared the progress of the LibreOffice project with the related project Apache OpenOffice. It showed that "OpenOffice received about 10% of the improvements LibreOffice did in the period of time studied."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

midgesgalore
2 Lemon pips

Postby midgesgalore » March 12th, 2019, 11:21 pm

kiloran wrote:...
I've fixed the problem but I'll hold off publishing for a wee while to see if any other bug fixes can be added

--kiloran

Hi kiloran
As I find the time I am still putting the tools through my stress testing and I noticed I cannot delete a share from a watchlist.
In my previous HYPTUSS-v11.52 I see the list of the shares in my watchlist in the, UserForm7, pop-up form in the area of the GUI "Select a share to delete ....etc" and all I need to do is select and click delete.
In the new v11.65 I see no list of the shares from the watchlist in that area of the form but a blank field is presented instead.

OBVS, meanwhile I will take a clean copy and try again but wonder if you can repeat this?
Excel 2010

Thanks

midgesgalore

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 12th, 2019, 11:28 pm

midgesgalore wrote:
I've fixed the problem but I'll hold off publishing for a wee while to see if any other bug fixes can be added

--kiloran

Hi kiloran
As I find the time I am still putting the tools through my stress testing and I noticed I cannot delete a share from a watchlist.
In my previous HYPTUSS-v11.52 I see the list of the shares in my watchlist in the, UserForm7, pop-up form in the area of the GUI "Select a share to delete ....etc" and all I need to do is select and click delete.
In the new v11.65 I see no list of the shares from the watchlist in that area of the form but a blank field is presented instead.

OBVS, meanwhile I will take a clean copy and try again but wonder if you can repeat this?
Excel 2010

Thanks

midgesgalore

Very odd. 11.65 works as expected for me on Win10 and Excel 2010. No changes have been made to this part of HYPTUSS

--kiloran

midgesgalore
2 Lemon pips

Postby midgesgalore » March 13th, 2019, 12:04 am

kiloran wrote:
midgesgalore wrote:

--kiloran

Hi kiloran

Excel 2010

Thanks

midgesgalore

Very odd. 11.65 works as expected for me on Win10 and Excel 2010. No changes have been made to this part of HYPTUSS

--kiloran

Seems it is a false alarm
I opened a new copy of the original and placed the individual shares in the watchlist from the menus and now everything works just fine.

Ha ha ha, you answered too quickly as I just tried to delete my previous post. I thought it was only me that had some golden time at this hour.

All is well now kiloran, thanks.

midgesgalore

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » March 13th, 2019, 9:50 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Are you please able to post an 'Overview' table Spiderbill?

It's certainly going to be easier to diagnose this specific issue if we can generate the same capital-weighting portfolio components as you've currently got, and the figures available in the 'Overview' table will allow us to do that, and crucially without going down to the level of displaying 'actual' capital values - only weighting proportions which we can then replicate.

I know you're discussing the OO version here, but I'd also like to replicate your portfolio weighting in the Excel version too, so kiloran and I can compare notes if possible.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Hi Itsallaguess
Happy to oblige. If a screenshot fo the sector weighting chart would help I can get that for you too
cheers
Spiderbill

Value    Div   Fcst 
Share Epic Sector %Total %Total Yield

Aviva AV Life Insurance 5.7% 7.9% 8.0%
BAE Systems BA Aerospace & Defence 3.0% 2.6% 5.0%
Berkeley Group Holdings (The) BKG Household Goods & Home Construction 1.0% 0.5% 2.6%
British Land Company BLND Retail REITs 3.4% 3.2% 5.4%
Cairn Energy CNE Oil & Gas Producers 0.2% 0.0% 0.0%
Centrica CNA Gas, Water & Multiutilities 0.2% 0.3% 9.2%
Charles Taylor CTR Financial Services 1.8% 1.9% 6.1%
Chesnara CSN Life Insurance 1.9% 1.9% 5.9%
Debenhams DEB General Retailers 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%
Essentra ESNT Support Services 0.3% 0.3% 5.4%
Galliford Try GFRD Construction & Materials 1.2% 1.9% 9.2%
GlaxoSmithKline GSK Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology 4.9% 4.5% 5.3%
Greencore Group GNC Food Producers 0.6% 0.3% 3.2%
Greene King GNK Travel & Leisure 1.3% 1.2% 5.2%
Hansteen Holdings HSTN Industrial & Office REITs 1.5% 1.5% 5.6%
HSBC Holdings HSBA Banks 5.4% 5.8% 6.3%
Imperial Brands IMB Tobacco 4.7% 6.3% 7.8%
Inmarsat ISAT Mobile Telecommunications 0.8% 0.5% 3.4%
ITE Group ITE Media 0.3% 0.2% 3.8%
KCOM Group KCOM Fixed Line Telecommunications 2.4% 1.8% 4.3%
Legal and General Group LGEN Life Insurance 6.7% 7.5% 6.5%
Lloyds Banking Group LLOY Banks 3.3% 3.2% 5.6%
Majestic Wine WINE Retailers 0.3% 0.1% 2.2%
Marston's MARS Travel & Leisure 1.1% 1.4% 7.8%
MPAC MPAC Engineering 0.3% 0.0% 0.0%
Moneysupermarket.com Group MONY Media 1.1% 0.8% 3.9%
Morgan Advanced Materials MGAM Electronic & Electrical Equipment 0.3% 0.3% 4.3%
National Grid NG Multiutilities 5.5% 5.3% 5.6%
Pan African Resources PAF Mining 2.5% 1.9% 4.4%
Petrofac Ltd. PFC Oil Equipment, Services & Distribution 2.0% 2.3% 6.7%
Regional REIT Limited RGL Property Investment Trusts 3.0% 4.1% 8.1%
Rio Tinto RIO Mining 3.5% 3.6% 6.1%
Royal Dutch Shell 'B' RDSB Oil & Gas Producers 6.0% 6.3% 6.1%
RPC Group RPC General Industrials 2.3% 1.6% 4.0%
RSA Insurance Group RSA Nonlife Insurance 0.3% 0.2% 5.7%
Schroders (Non-Voting) SDRC Financial Services 1.2% 1.1% 5.6%
SSE SSE Electricity 1.3% 1.5% 6.6%
Taylor Wimpey TW Household Goods & Home Construction 4.2% 7.3% 10.1%
Unilever ULVR Food Producers 0.9% 0.5% 3.5%
Vodafone Group VOD Mobile Telecommunications 1.6% 2.6% 9.2%
Sun Life Financial Inc. SLF Life Insurance 11.9% 5.9% 2.9%

Running Yield: 5.81%

Value Div
Sector %Total %Total

Mining 5.9% 5.5%
Gas, Water & Multiutilities 0.2% 0.3%
Multiutilities 5.5% 5.3%
Food Producers 1.5% 0.9%
General Retailers 0.0% 0.0%
Engineering 0.3% 0.0%
Media 1.4% 0.9%
Construction & Materials 1.2% 1.9%
Retail REITs 3.4% 3.2%
Support Services 0.3% 0.3%
Banks 8.7% 9.0%
Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology 4.9% 4.5%
Electronic & Electrical Equipment 0.3% 0.3%
Retailers 0.3% 0.1%
Oil Equipment, Services & Distribution 2.0% 2.3%
Household Goods & Home Construction 5.3% 7.8%
Travel & Leisure 2.4% 2.6%
Industrial & Office REITs 1.5% 1.5%
Tobacco 4.7% 6.3%
Financial Services 3.0% 3.0%
General Industrials 2.3% 1.6%
Nonlife Insurance 0.3% 0.2%
Property Investment Trusts 3.0% 4.1%
Aerospace & Defence 3.0% 2.6%
Oil & Gas Producers 6.2% 6.3%
Fixed Line Telecommunications 2.4% 1.8%
Electricity 1.3% 1.5%
Life Insurance 26.2% 23.3%
Mobile Telecommunications 2.4% 3.0%

Note: 1...'Value %Total' is the portfolio value of the share as a % of the total portfolio
2...'Div %Total' is the expected dividend of the share based on forecast yield
as a % of the total portfolio expected dividend

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 13th, 2019, 11:49 am

spiderbill wrote:Noticed another small oddity in the Sector Weighting Chart. I have a small holding in Debenhams (which is now a tiny holding worth only 21 quid!). The graph shows it correctly under General Retailers as being tiny - 0.02%, but the listing shows it at the bottom of the list but as 1.52% - both on the list and on the component stock. DEB are my only General Retailer so something seems to be awry somewhere.

cheers
Spiderbill

I can confirm the problem, which has probably always been there. Seems to be an issue reading very small percentages correctly in the old Basic code.
I'm sure it's fixable.

--kiloran

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » March 13th, 2019, 2:27 pm

I am being "picky" now as I could fix this myself on my spreadsheet. Can you re-order the datasheet based on TIDM. I just went to add ZCASH using the ADD SHARE button and typed z in the window and it took me to ZPG. I had to scroll through to find ZCASH.

Raptor.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 13th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Raptor wrote:I am being "picky" now as I could fix this myself on my spreadsheet. Can you re-order the datasheet based on TIDM. I just went to add ZCASH using the ADD SHARE button and typed z in the window and it took me to ZPG. I had to scroll through to find ZCASH.

Raptor.

Easily done, but I'm not sure if that is the general preference. Itsallaguess set it up sorted by Company Name. This means that companies can be easily located in the Add Share dialog. This is structured "Name----EPIC----Sector", so if you click in the list of companies and type C, it will scroll to the first of the companies with a name starting with C. This is standard Excel functionality.
If we sorted the data sheet by EPIC, the list in Add Shares would be rather randomly structured, unless we changed it to show "EPIC----Name----Sector"

ZCASH was chosen as the "EPIC" for cash so that if the portfolio is sorted by EPIC, ZCASH would be at the bottom of the list. I guess we could change the Name of ZCASH from Cash to Zcash but this seems a little illogical.

After my rambling thoughts, I'm not sure if I've left me or you the more confused! Anybody else with any thoughts? Or Itsallaguess with an executive decision ;)

--kiloran

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice

Postby PrefInvestor » March 13th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Hi Again kiloran,

Yes I can see that for HYPers dividenddata probably covers most everything they need. Personally though I find it has many gaps. For example in terms of my March dividends on the following investments RECI, RAVP, GACB, RSAB, BRNA, IAPD, IUKD, SEDY, STAB, BRCI, JEMI, VIN, ZWEU, ZWUK & ZILK the only coverage in dividenddata was for RECI, BRNA & VIN. The rest of it I had to obtain by suitable searches.

I see reading your HYPTUSS helpfile that it looks as though you are obtaining your prices from yahoo, is that right ?. In the past when their webservice was still working I used to use that, but since its been shutdown I have had to go elsewhere. How are you obtaining your prices from yahoo exactly, if you dont mind me asking. And are they real-time or 15 minute delayed or something else ?.

ATB

Pref

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 13th, 2019, 3:39 pm

kiloran wrote:
Raptor wrote:
I am being "picky" now as I could fix this myself on my spreadsheet.

Can you re-order the datasheet based on TIDM. I just went to add ZCASH using the ADD SHARE button and typed z in the window and it took me to ZPG. I had to scroll through to find ZCASH.

Easily done, but I'm not sure if that is the general preference. Itsallaguess set it up sorted by Company Name. This means that companies can be easily located in the Add Share dialog. This is structured "Name----EPIC----Sector", so if you click in the list of companies and type C, it will scroll to the first of the companies with a name starting with C. This is standard Excel functionality.

If we sorted the data sheet by EPIC, the list in Add Shares would be rather randomly structured, unless we changed it to show "EPIC----Name----Sector"

ZCASH was chosen as the "EPIC" for cash so that if the portfolio is sorted by EPIC, ZCASH would be at the bottom of the list. I guess we could change the Name of ZCASH from Cash to Zcash but this seems a little illogical.

After my rambling thoughts, I'm not sure if I've left me or you the more confused! Anybody else with any thoughts? Or Itsallaguess with an executive decision.

Hi there,

I think I'd prefer to leave things as they are in this particular instance, and to acknowledge that when we're adding CASH to the portfolio, we can type 'C' for CASH....in fact, having tried it just now, I'd actually suggest typing 'Z' and then 'C', as doing it that way first goes to the bottom of the list, and then brings the list back to the C row, but with CASH sitting there at the bottom of the windowed-list ready to select, as shown in this screen-shot -

https://i.imgur.com/UbR8KXM.png

Happy for people to modify locally as they see fit, if this doesn't suit, but I think this is one of those areas where the 'greater-good' is to keep to the way we're doing things now, which suits the bulk of the companies listed in the data-sheet.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 13th, 2019, 3:46 pm

PrefInvestor wrote:Hi Again kiloran,

I see reading your HYPTUSS helpfile that it looks as though you are obtaining your prices from yahoo, is that right ?. In the past when their webservice was still working I used to use that, but since its been shutdown I have had to go elsewhere. How are you obtaining your prices from yahoo exactly, if you dont mind me asking. And are they real-time or 15 minute delayed or something else ?.

Pref

We use a URL like this to get prices for SSE.L and LLOY.L https://query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/fin ... E.L,LLOY.L
Data is in JSON format

Prices are delayed (HYPers don't need realtime, glacially slow would be fine!)

These simple spreadsheets contain macros which might help you http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... crape.html

--kiloran

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » March 13th, 2019, 3:47 pm

kiloran wrote:
Raptor wrote:I am being "picky" now as I could fix this myself on my spreadsheet. Can you re-order the datasheet based on TIDM. I just went to add ZCASH using the ADD SHARE button and typed z in the window and it took me to ZPG. I had to scroll through to find ZCASH.

Raptor.

After my rambling thoughts, I'm not sure if I've left me or you the more confused! Anybody else with any thoughts? Or Itsallaguess with an executive decision ;)

--kiloran

As a "dinosaur" I was searching for the TIDM rather than the company. Whoops! Apologies. Just knew that you had an entry ZCASH for Cash entries, so typed Z. Maybe just a note in the "box" would suffice. Mind you just checked and it is not in Company Name order either

Berkeley Group Holdings (The)
BG Group
Bank of Georgia Group

That is the only one I can find, not sure how you want to deal with "special characters" ie S&P... another story....

Sorry for confusion.

Raptor.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 13th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Raptor wrote:Mind you just checked and it is not in Company Name order either

Berkeley Group Holdings (The)
BG Group
Bank of Georgia Group

Raptor.

Ah, that is because my pre-flight checklist that I use before publishing made no allowance for my incompetence! :(

Sorry..... I'll try to be a bit more disciplined next time and make sure I perform every check

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 13th, 2019, 3:59 pm

PrefInvestor wrote:
I see reading your HYPTUSS helpfile that it looks as though you are obtaining your prices from yahoo, is that right ?.

In the past when their webservice was still working I used to use that, but since its been shutdown I have had to go elsewhere.

How are you obtaining your prices from yahoo exactly, if you dont mind me asking. And are they real-time or 15 minute delayed or something else ?.

Hi Pref,

We probably keep forgetting that newcomers might not be aware of the 'open source' nature of this HYPTUSS project, and that we're really quite happy for you to go and dig around in the VBA if you're interested. It's all quite basic in there, and not written with any great level of efficiency in mind at all, but most of it's 'commented' to some degree (certainly in broad 'process lumps' at the very least..), and anyone with a passing interest in programming or scraping data should be able to find their way around the code just by double-clicking on a few of the command-buttons whilst in 'Developer / Design Mode'..

There's actually only a password on it at all to help stop accidental issues happening, and we've always from day-one ensured that people are aware of the VBA password -

pleaseletmein

It was clear to me from a very early stage that if this was going to be a useful tool to help people manage their investments, then there's no way we could expect people to use it for that purpose if there was anything 'hidden' in the background that might quite rightly concern people, so we've always maintained a 100% open-source approach to this project, and are quite happy and willing for people to go in there and check what's going on behind the scenes....

Getting back to the yahoo price-scrape process, it was originally borrowed from an ex-TMF user called anc1, who now brilliantly posts here under the name of eventide, and he's now actually re-written his Yahoo price-scrape process to work in a much improved way that can be incorporated into stand-alone Excel spreadsheets - you can read more about that here if you're interested - https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8332

We've since updated our own HYPTUSS yahoo price-scrape processes to introduce similar methods to eventide's new script, so they are both fairly well aligned now, and you'd probably benefit from having a dig around in the code to see what's going on.

I'm always keen to help out anyone interested in the VBA side of things, as it's how I learnt originally myself, so if you're wanting to discuss anything specific then I'm more than happy for you to PM me, or start a separate VBA thread on the Financial Software Board, and we'll try to help out as much as we can if this is something you're keen to pursue. .

Given that we're discussing the yahoo price-scrape process, I'll end my post with my very grateful thanks to anc1/eventide for coming up with his price-scrape process, because it was that bit of VBA that actually kicked me off into orbit regarding this whole project, and if that original routine hadn't existed, I have no doubt at all that HYPTUSS would simply never have seen the light of day all those years ago....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
Last edited by Itsallaguess on March 13th, 2019, 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » March 13th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Life Insurance 26.2%

Slightly off-topic, but I'm just curious. Are you deliberately overweight in the 'Life Insurance' sector either through many years of employment, inheritance or do you just love that sector ?

Andy (overweight in LGEN)

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice

Postby PrefInvestor » March 13th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Hi IAAG & Kiloran,
Yes I might go and have a dig around in your VBA just to see how you are doing things if thats OK. My investment spreadsheet was started in around 2011 when I started investing again (having stopped after the 2008 financial crisis). It has had a number of significant revisions over time. I used to be an IT Consultant so I am pretty useful with Excel and Databases, but finding the time to do it can be difficult. I might also create a test portfolio using HYPTUSS just to see how the functionality looks and what features you guys have implemented that I am missing, but again its mostly an issue of having the time to sit down and do it.

I have become addicted to real-time updates on my investment spreadsheet, I'm sure that probably demonstrates the wrong attitude to investing !.

My solution for pricing has been based for some time now on pulling web site info into my spreadsheet using data query/queries, the timeliness of the web site updates determining the timeliness of the data that I receive. A big challenge is finding a source that contains most of the things that one is invested in, the data for the rest having to be added manually which is time consuming and tedious, worse if it applies to too many investments. Fortunately I have only a handful for which that is true right now and I can sit there, press Data Refresh All and all my prices update in a second or so. I could use my brokers copy of my portfolio/prices of course, which are theoretically real-time, but I really dont want to log on there that much and a separate spreadsheet is much more convenient in that respect and allows me to do much more in the way of purchase and income planning.

ATB

Pref

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » March 13th, 2019, 7:22 pm

mrbrightside wrote:
Life Insurance 26.2%

Slightly off-topic, but I'm just curious. Are you deliberately overweight in the 'Life Insurance' sector either through many years of employment, inheritance or do you just love that sector ?

Andy (overweight in LGEN)

Hi Andy
It's largely made up of Sun Life of Canada (SLF). I used to have a life insurance policy connected to a mortgage (long since paid off) for which at one point I got given 500-odd shares. That was long before I got into investing in shares properly and I've always regarded them as rather separate from my main portfolio - which has L&G and Aviva in it - although I keep them altogether in HYPTUSS simply to remind me what the real balance is.

I've often been advised here to top-slice them but in terms of capital they've been far and away my best share and if I'd been brave/daft enough to put all my money into them instead of many of my other shares I'd be a lot better off (looking at you IMB, PFC, GFRD, VOD etc). While my overall income has been enough to give me a 10% return so far and should continue to roll in barring accidents, I'm under water on capital and without the large gain on SLF I'd be a lot further under.
Of course a financial crash could hurt, but insurance seems to have a habit of coming back, which is more than I can say for some other sectors!

Better stop there as we're well OT and don't want to clutter up the bug hunting.

cheers
Spiderbill

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 13th, 2019, 7:35 pm

spiderbill wrote:I have a Canadian/US share in my portfolio - Sun Life Canada (SLF) - which I've manually added to the data sheet and have been running satisfactorily for many years and versions. I couldn't retrieve the share price of course, but I just added that manually from my other spreadsheet after HYPTUS had retrieved all the others. (and I had to do a currency conversion first anyway)

However with the new version the very presence of SLF causes an error message when trying to get the prices - saying that there are "problems retrieving prices from Yahoo. Please try again" - but crucially no longer getting the prices of the other shares and wiping out what was in that field for them all.

bailey56 wrote:One very minor issue: I'm using the Libre Office version and have found that the 'Week Ahead' pulls up a webpage that creates an error on the IC website.
bailey

spiderbill wrote:Noticed another small oddity in the Sector Weighting Chart. I have a small holding in Debenhams (which is now a tiny holding worth only 21 quid!). The graph shows it correctly under General Retailers as being tiny - 0.02%, but the listing shows it at the bottom of the list but as 1.52% - both on the list and on the component stock. DEB are my only General Retailer so something seems to be awry somewhere.
Spiderbill

I've produced fixes to the above bugs and sent you a PM with a link to a test version. Let me know if that fixes your problems and I'll publish the fixed version to the world.

--kiloran

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » March 14th, 2019, 4:41 pm

kiloran wrote:I've produced fixes to the above bugs and sent you a PM with a link to a test version. Let me know if that fixes your problems and I'll publish the fixed version to the world.

--kiloran

As per the PM I've just sent, the revised dev version seem to be working well - no problems found so far. Looks to me as if you can release it.

Should also say that the new facilities are all excellent and I'm sure will be invaluable to many of us here.

Thanks to you and istallaguess for all your hard work.

Spiderbill

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice

Investorease Dividend Data

Postby PrefInvestor » March 15th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Hi kiloran,

Wasnt aware of this source of dividend data prior to reading about HYPTUSS, have added it to my investment spreadsheet this morning. Easy to query too which means its easy to incorporate any updates (unlike dividenddata which I have been unable to query). This has provided me with slightly improved coverage of my upcoming dividends, so thanks !.

ATB

Pref

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”