Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Historical dividend yield FTSE

Analysing companies' finances and value from their financial statements using ratios and formulae
thommiee1

Historical dividend yield FTSE

Postby thommiee1 » March 15th, 2019, 7:11 am

Hi all,

For some personal research and interests, I am looking for the historical (from '90) dividend yields of the FTSE 100 and/or FTSE All Share Index. Do you have an idea where I can obtain them?

Hope you could help me out :)

Avantegarde
Lemon Slice

Re: Historical dividend yield FTSE

Postby Avantegarde » March 15th, 2019, 11:20 am

I'd go first to the website of the London Stock Exchange (LSE) to see if it shows such historical data. If it doesn't, then ring the LSE press office and ask which data providers might have such figures easily to hand.

Avantegarde
Lemon Slice

Postby Avantegarde » March 15th, 2019, 11:27 am

Alternatively, go to the website of the FTSE Russell group which actually compiles and publishes the data and look for it there - or ring them and ask.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 15th, 2019, 11:39 am

And keep us posted with what you uncover in this topic. Would be useful information to keep a reference to.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 15th, 2019, 12:42 pm

thommiee1 wrote:
For some personal research and interests, I am looking for the historical (from '90) dividend yields of the FTSE 100 and/or FTSE All Share Index.

Do you have an idea where I can obtain them?

This site shows the FTSE All-Share yield from May 1st 1988 to April 1st 2018 -

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/united-kingdom/financial-times-stock-exchange-ftse-dividend-yield/dividend-yield-actuaries-share-index-ftse-all-share

Note that on the above link, above the chart area, there are three little dots where you can ask for the data behind the chart. This seems to then be a paid-for service, but has a free 10-day demo available. I certainly can't vouch for this service, but just thought I'd mention this to you in case access to the underlying data was important to you for your research...

You'll need to set the maximum-available date ranges, and apply them to mimic this output -

And here's a link where you can play with just a chart and it's settings, on a full-screen view (the controls still work, and it gives a better view of the underlying data) - https://tinyurl.com/y4jqcsf9

Hope this is useful, but I'll add my usual caveat of asking you to prove the accuracy of the above data using a 'known-good source' before using it in anger, and certainly for any type of investment decision...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

thommiee1

Postby thommiee1 » March 17th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Avantegarde wrote:Alternatively, go to the website of the FTSE Russell group which actually compiles and publishes the data and look for it there - or ring them and ask.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Itsallaguess wrote:
This site shows the FTSE All-Share yield from May 1st 1988 to April 1st 2018 -

(...)
Note that on the above link, above the chart area, there are three little dots where you can ask for the data behind the chart. This seems to then be a paid-for service, but has a free 10-day demo available. I certainly can't vouch for this service, but just thought I'd mention this to you in case access to the underlying data was important to you for your research...

Hope this is useful, but I'll add my usual caveat of asking you to prove the accuracy of the above data using a 'known-good source' before using it in anger, and certainly for any type of investment decision...
Found that website as well, but indeed, the paying part is the minus. Just requested the 10 day demo. Hopefully it'll give me access to the information I am looking for, and not just a small preview.

thommiee1

Postby thommiee1 » April 2nd, 2019, 6:20 pm

Avantegarde wrote:Alternatively, go to the website of the FTSE Russell group which actually compiles and publishes the data and look for it there - or ring them and ask.

They would only give it to me if I would need it for my PhD research. Unfortunately, that is not the case for me. However, I managed to obtain it (quite easily) from DataStream, as soon as I could use DataStream.

Return to “Company Analysis”