Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Music Files on Samsung/Android phone

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Music Files on Samsung/Android phone

Postby bruncher » April 12th, 2018, 1:45 am

I have downloaded several CD's of music on to an SD card in my Galaxy S7 phone. I used to play the music using a Samsung 'App' that was part of the provided software. Then that App disappeared and Google Play appeared in its place. OK with me as it did the same thing.

A few days ago, however, after downloading the latest of the interminable 'upgrades', Google Play no longer sees my music and I have to find it in Samsung 'My Files' which is like an old-style Windows file manager. It's awkward because (1) I can only select one file to play. When that track finishes I then have to select the next track manually etc. (2) I cannot do any other task simultaneously e.g. use the internet. If I'm on a train, I can read the news on my phone OR listen to music, but not both.

I went into an O2 store today and the assistant agreed with me that all the settings on my phone were correct and should mean that Google Play would 'see' my downloaded music, and play it.

Needless to say, the Android website has no phone number or email address for enquiries or complaints.

Any ideas anyone?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Music Files on Samsung/Android phone

Postby swill453 » April 12th, 2018, 4:46 am

In Google Play under Settings from the menu you can choose Storage Location as either Internal or External. Can you check that?

Alternatively it might be a permission setting. From the main Android Settings, go to Apps -> Google Play -> Permissions and make sure Storage is switched on.

Scott.

RaspberryFool

Postby RaspberryFool » April 12th, 2018, 9:35 am

Have you looked to see if the Samsung Music App is available from the Google Play store?
My wife owns a Samsung phone and, the last time I looked, the music app was still on it. When I was looking for a similar app for my Motorola phone, I came across the Samsung app on Google Play - but it wouldn't allow me to download it. (Incompatible?). You may be luckier.
RF

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » April 12th, 2018, 11:50 am

Thanks RF and Scott.

Don't know why I didn't think of looking there first - the Samsung website had useful info:

"The Music Player on the Samsung Galaxy S7 has been integrated into Google Play Music ..... However, if you still wish to use the Samsung Music Player, it is still available to download"

I have downloaded it and so far so good.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » April 12th, 2018, 3:28 pm

I use VLC on my Samsung. It finds all the music files and you can create Playlists if you want to. My only complaint is that I haven't found a way to change the Playlist order but that's not a big deal.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » March 14th, 2019, 8:58 am

Sussexlad wrote:I use VLC on my Samsung. It finds all the music files and you can create Playlists if you want to. My only complaint is that I haven't found a way to change the Playlist order but that's not a big deal.

In case it proves useful to someone, this is how to do it.

1) Start by opening your playlist and playing any track
2) When it is playing .. drag the playing song up from the bottom of the screen - you should see your playlist with some icons at the top-right of the screen
3) Hover your finger on any track name and drag it to a new position
4) Carry on moving stuff until you are happy
5) Select the three dots icon in the top right
6) Select the save icon (looks like a black square disk with a hole in the middle)
7) Choose a name for your save list .. or tap on the the same name if you want to overwrite the original playlist name

montehampster

Postby montehampster » March 15th, 2019, 4:52 pm

I'm now using an app called Musicolet available from the Play Store which I can thoroughly recommend.

I needed an app that would work with Android Auto in my car and Google Play (or Amazon Music) which I use at home where there is Wifi wants to stream rather than play from the hard disc when I use voice recognition hence using data. Good search function and easy to create/import play lists.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 15th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Sussexlad wrote:I use VLC on my Samsung. It finds all the music files and you can create Playlists if you want to. My only complaint is that I haven't found a way to change the Playlist order but that's not a big deal.

Have you messed around with the networking shares at all? I was wondering if you can share both ways with VLC via wifi.
Phone from desktop, and desktop from phone (and any other clients like tablets et al).

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » March 15th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Infrasonic wrote:

Have you messed around with the networking shares at all? I was wondering if you can share both ways with VLC via wifi.
Phone from desktop, and desktop from phone (and any other clients like tablets et al).

No I'm afraid not. Sounds a bit too technical for me !

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » March 15th, 2019, 8:31 pm

I use "Music Player Folder Free" from Google Play Store. Click on a track and it plays it, when it finishes it moves onto the next track (alphabetically) in the same folder. Or just tell it to play all tracks in the folder.

It's good enough for what I want. If I want to play a mixed up playlist (I.e. non-alphabetical) I just rename each track by predicting it with a number equal to its position in the order.

That said I don't use it all that often - my main music player is a Sony Walkman for MP3s

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » March 15th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Infrasonic wrote:

VLC on my phone can access my local network share(s) and DLNA shares no problem. Not tried going the other way.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”