Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

English teams in the CL.

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

English teams in the CL.

Postby Leothebear » March 14th, 2019, 3:05 pm

There's been a lot in the meeja about the success of English teams reaching the CL quarter finals.
How many English players are in those four? A dozen tops? So celebrations of a renaissance in 'English' football are perhaps a bit premature.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Re: English teams in the CL.

Postby Howyoudoin » March 14th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Leothebear wrote:There's been a lot in the meeja about the success of English teams reaching the CL quarter finals.
How many English players are in those four? A dozen tops? So celebrations of a renaissance in 'English' football are perhaps a bit premature.

Think you're getting confused with the World Cup if you want to start comparing how many home grown players are in each team. Having said that I can't imagine many (any?) of the last 8 CL teams have more than half of their players from their home country.

To me 'English football' is a style of play. A style of play that for the most part I prefer to watch rather than some of the slow defensive dross served up by other European countries.

HYD

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » March 15th, 2019, 11:32 am

Leothebear wrote:There's been a lot in the meeja about the success of English teams reaching the CL quarter finals.

Played at some point:

Liverpool: Alexander-Arnold, Henderson, Milner, Lallana, plus Sturridge an unused substitute, and Robertson who is Scottish
Man City: Walker, Foden, Sterling, Delph. Stones an unused sub, may be a couple of others who I don't know
Man Utd: Smalling, Shaw, Rashford, Young. McTomintay is Scottish. Maybe a few others I don't recognise.
Spurs: Winks, Dier, Rose, Kane. Plus Davies who is Welsh. Two high profile English players were absent injured.

So a total of 18 English, plus two Scots and one Welsh. Maybe a few more.

Sancho and Bale played for other sides.

DM

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » March 16th, 2019, 9:15 am

Thanks for taking the time to do that - I stand corrected and humbled.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 16th, 2019, 9:29 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
Played at some point:

Liverpool: Alexander-Arnold, Henderson, Milner, Lallana, plus Sturridge an unused substitute, and Robertson who is Scottish

Joe Gomez too - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/joe-gom ... d/0/plus/1

We'll hopefully see lots more of Joe Gomez for the England team once he returns from his current injury....

Also, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has of course had a long-term knee injury this season, but is actually in the Champions League squad for Liverpool this year.

There's no doubt that Ox would have featured already in this seasons Champions League campaign if it was not for his knee injury...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » March 16th, 2019, 9:31 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:Played at some point:

Man City: Walker, Foden, Sterling, Delph. Stones an unused sub, may be a couple of others who I don't know
Man Utd: Smalling, Shaw, Rashford, Young. McTomintay is Scottish. Maybe a few others I don't recognise.
Spurs: Winks, Dier, Rose, Kane. Plus Davies who is Welsh. Two high profile English players were absent injured.

So a total of 18 English, plus two Scots and one Welsh. Maybe a few more.

Sancho and Bale played for other sides.

DM

Not to mention Joe Gomez, Dele Alli and Jesse Lingard who all play for the national team, when fit of course.

Strangely enough, it's the English teams that play on Thursday nights this season that have the real problems...

Si

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » March 17th, 2019, 7:54 am

simoan wrote:
DM

Not to mention Joe Gomez, Dele Alli and Jesse Lingard who all play for the national team, when fit of course.

[/quote]
Trippier too. Although he seems to be sliding down the ranks a bit at Spuds, currently injured of course.

DM

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”